Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: You can never be too careful

  1. #1
    mark.mclewin Guest

    Default You can never be too careful

    I'm a great fan of Voyage Yachts. I have sailed since I was 4 years old. My grandmother enrolled me in sabot classes in California. Then the Hobie Cats and on to bare boat chartering then the Captains License. Went to shows and dreamed of owning one. Found the boat (and the money) in 2004 - a Voyage 450 Cabriolet. I thought after years of looking I knew enough to purchase well. Not so. It was only the second one built and you expect problems. The owner of the company (Voyage Yachts) is a nice guy who you could call a friend. As a landlord for 25 years you learn to read people. This owner either has me fooled or himself (with respect to running a business). The build out had many problems but Voyage always answered the phone and appeared sincerely invested in repairing their product. Until it came to actually paying for their mistakes.

    The details are listed at www.myyachtlawsuit.com

    My goal is to help anyone from making the same mistakes. I would buy another Voyage but not new and not with Voyage involved. They have lied on too many occasions. I am suing them in South Africa. Along the way I have spoken to many people in my position and developed quite a knowledge base. Feel free to write (post here or email) or call 845-798-9977. East Coast United States.
    Mark

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    2,793

    Default Re: You can never be too careful

    I thought Voyage had closed the business down and sold the moulds to a company in SA called Proud Catamarans

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    2,793

    Default Re: You can never be too careful

    Quote Originally Posted by mark.mclewin View Post
    I'm a great fan of Voyage Yachts. I have sailed since I was 4 years old. My grandmother enrolled me in sabot classes in California. Then the Hobie Cats and on to bare boat chartering then the Captains License. Went to shows and dreamed of owning one. Found the boat (and the money) in 2004 - a Voyage 450 Cabriolet. I thought after years of looking I knew enough to purchase well. Not so. It was only the second one built and you expect problems. The owner of the company (Voyage Yachts) is a nice guy who you could call a friend. As a landlord for 25 years you learn to read people. This owner either has me fooled or himself (with respect to running a business). The build out had many problems but Voyage always answered the phone and appeared sincerely invested in repairing their product. Until it came to actually paying for their mistakes.

    The details are listed at www.myyachtlawsuit.com

    My goal is to help anyone from making the same mistakes. I would buy another Voyage but not new and not with Voyage involved. They have lied on too many occasions. I am suing them in South Africa. Along the way I have spoken to many people in my position and developed quite a knowledge base. Feel free to write (post here or email) or call 845-798-9977. East Coast United States.
    Mark
    Hi Mark
    I have just been through your web site regarding the problems and read all with interest, I really feel for you, like you I would want to get hold of Ian at Voyage Yachts and string him up by his testicles.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    50% Uk 50% on my boat
    Posts
    5,397

    Default Re: You can never be too careful

    have used the web to win a major battle with a boat builder that resulted in a TV programme and a refund of over $2m .... so the publicity does work.

    We will support you wherever we are able to and would welcome Voyage putting their side of their side of the story.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

  5. #5
    mark.mclewin Guest

    Default Re: You can never be too careful

    Thank you all for the replies. I had a contact in South Africa stop by the Voyage yard and it was still functioning last month (Jan 2009). I would welcome Ian's version of all the problems but he keeps a low profile. In December of 2008 I offered to settle for charter time at his BVI base. He did not have to spend a dime to make this go away and he never replied.
    Sincerely, Mark McLewin

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    932

    Default Re: You can never be too careful

    Have you lodged an official complaint with SABEX (I think it's called) Google them--

    They might be able to help you by putting pressure on the company..

    Alan

  7. #7
    mark.mclewin Guest

    Default Can not find "SABEX"

    Alan, Thanks for the message but the only references to SABEX are a Canadian drug company and a South African brake manufacturer. What is SABEX's purpose? Perhaps I can find it that way.

    Thank You, Mark McLewin

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    932

    Default Re: You can never be too careful

    Hi Mark,

    Sorry for the incorrect information, here is the correct link: http://www.sabbex.co.za/

    You need to get in touch with this lady: Veda Raubenheimer, will continue to be the Executive Manager of the SABBEX Association.

    Alan

  9. #9
    mark.mclewin Guest

    Default Re: You can never be too careful

    Ahh language, the difference one letter can make in ones life. I'll keep you posted and thank you for the advice. Mark

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Auckland NZ
    Posts
    274

    Default Re: You can never be too careful

    Quote Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
    I thought Voyage had closed the business down and sold the moulds to a company in SA called Proud Catamarans
    Some confusion here - the Maxim was built in Durban and also marketed as a Vouyage 38 - these moulds were sold to Proud Cats, but as far as I am aware the Voyage factory is still going.

    Hennie

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    932

    Default Re: You can never be too careful

    Voyage showed a boat at the Miami show last month, so they are running.

    Alan

  12. #12
    mark.mclewin Guest

    Default Voyage Yachts and SABBEX

    I have sent a letter to SABBEX (South African BoatBuilders Export Council) describing my problems with Voyage Yachts. Thank you Alan for the advice. I will keep you updated. Mark

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    932

    Default Re: You can never be too careful

    Any hopefully good news?

    Alan

  14. #14
    mark.mclewin Guest

    Default Re: You can never be too careful

    No news from Voyage or SABBEX. Time moves quickly, I will resend to SABBEX - perhaps they did not get the email. Thanks for the question. Mark

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Auckland NZ
    Posts
    274

    Default Re: You can never be too careful

    Quote Originally Posted by mark.mclewin View Post
    Thank you all for the replies. I had a contact in South Africa stop by the Voyage yard and it was still functioning last month (Jan 2009). I would welcome Ian's version of all the problems but he keeps a low profile. In December of 2008 I offered to settle for charter time at his BVI base. He did not have to spend a dime to make this go away and he never replied.
    Sincerely, Mark McLewin
    After extensive research (and reading the above postings) two friends have just placed an order for a Voyage 500. It seems as if it is worthwhile hearing the Voyager side of the story. Come Voyager let's hear your side of the story!
    It is only natural for us boat owners to support each other and more so if one takes into account the large number of 'pirates' out there posing as boat builders, however, sometimes............
    Regards
    Hennie

  16. #16
    mark.mclewin Guest

    Default Re: You can never be too careful

    Hennie, The 50 is a great ride. First, I doubt Ian (Owner of Voyage) would ever reply to my problems, it will cost him too much as I have each assertion well documented. So are so obvious - the electric winch, paid for but never installed.

    Not the reason for my reply, that point has been made. If I did it over I would inspect the boat many times during the build. The 580 made before mine had bath shower drains that were pitched uphill to the sump. The owners had to almost pull the boat out of the Miami Boat Show to get Voyage to fix it. Absolutely go to South Africa for the "hand off" before the final payment. Ian is interested in one thing, MONEY. Hold the last payment until every little detail is correct. Accept no lip service that it will be fixed later. No fixie no monie.

    I hope your friends have a great experience, Mark

  17. #17

    Default Re: You can never be too careful

    Mark,
    I have just read of your experience.....the years have passed. How did you get on? My story with Ian was also a disaster and I lost a lot of money - and I mean A LOT.
    As you say, the boats themselves are good.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •