Thread: Rocinante project list

Default Rocinante project list

Hi
    I hope this comes out better then it did on the Yahoo site.
    Here goes
    Okay here is a complete list (I think) of everything that we've done to the boat in the last 10 years, with the exception of replacements. To date we have replaced most of the running rigging all the sails, new tramps and new motors, and some other miscellaneous items.

I think that I will include explanations for any of the additions that aren't pretty straightforward. I divided the list into three categories things that I deftly think we need, especially considering our usage is cruising, things that are nice to have, then things that may only be useful in Florida.
    Okay here goes
    things I consider necessary
    a permanent bridal, for anchoring.
    Extra bow roller
    extra anchor
    screech cleat……… a cleat aft of the cam cleat for this creature(if you have a screech or)
    changing the reefing lines…… We changed the reefing line so that it would only pull on the clew of the sail, we
    installed a cleat for the tack on the bottom
    of the boom to complete the reef. There was just too much line to deal with and it
    was too hard to pull.
    Reefing, turning blocks. These are the blocks that are forward of the clutches. The original design had both of
    the reefing lines s going through one turning block. We were worried about them
    getting jammed up. So we added one more sheave to each stack.
    Extra cockpit drains. They're been many different configurations of drains on the MC30 . Check with Dick to
    the current configuration is. You deftly need a drain under the table and by
    the stairs and at least one more drain.
    Master cabin bed …. ourselves and others have found that the bed is not very comfortable for long cruises, we
    added 2 inches a very dense memory foam. Others have tried different things.
    See if there's a bed upgrade to. If not read in the archives about what others have
    done.
    Dinghy a motor mount….. we added a homemade Starboard mount for the dinghy motor.
    boom Crouch…….. we made ours out of a Starboard, others simply use a fender, we wanted something more
    permanent I'm sure that Dick could install something cheap and easy during production.
    Jack lines………….. we installed Jack lines to hook a safety harness to. One across the hardtop, and one
    runs from the cockpit to the forward beam.
    Longer traveler line….. the traveler line that was installed on our boat had very little extra line. When we
    replaced it, we added 3 feet to this line. This gives you a much better angle for
    sheeting it in.
    Electric winch handle…… we bought a 28V Milwaukee right angle drill with the bit that fits into a wench
    having used for a season , I would not be without it. It will actually
    take a light person in a boatswain's chair to the top of the mast.
    Nexus instruments ………. check to make sure that all the functions are enabled and able to work. We had to
    install a flex gate compost in order to get our VNG to work.

Extra fans……………. this may be a Florida thing
    anchor light…………….. we carry one of the plug-in type anchor lights to use. They use very little amperage
    and I like having polite down closer to the boat and the water.
    Searchlight …………. I have another complete list of safety items, and delivery crew items I would be happy to ……………………… get to you. But don't forget a one million candlelight power searchlight. Rechargeable
    extra fenders and extra docking lines ………… we have six or eight good docking lines plus a few extra.
    4 fenders just aren't enough. Especially with you having to go
    through so many locks
    reverse davit lines………………. you can increase the ratio of the davit lines by simply reversing them.
    Anchor winless ……………… very helpful, but then again I'm old and lazy
    strike shield……………….. this may also be a Florida thing, it is for lightning protection.
    Snatch block ……….. I wouldn't be without this. You never know when you might want to run a line
    somewhere different like an out haul or something . Or to lift something heavy that
    ……………………………….you need to get on or off the boat.
    Simply rig it to the end of your boom. It’s great for lifting the outboard motor from
    the rail onto your dinghy or if you need to pull a motor.

Okay believe it or not be above list is things that I would not like to be without…………

…………………………….. Now this is a list of things that we have that I could do without , but I'm really glad
    that we have

Whisker pole ………….. are spinnakers/whisker pole has been great for downwind work.
    Burgee halyard ……….. club flags, courtesy flags etc.
    4 solar panels …………. our boat came with two which we got by with for the last 10 years .we finally
    had the opportunity to pick up another sad and I'm sure will be a great addition to
    the boat.
    15 amp battery charger ……….. there are people who never use a charger, we've not had the charge
    the boat many times. But if you need to , its $50 well spent
    12 V outlet's ………. I see of discusses already so I won't go into it, same with one tends
    shelf under the Nav/ table .. Port bunk is a great area for charts, large items.
    Extra cabinets …………. I'm not sure what the current configuration is on the boat, we added
    cabinets above the Nav table, and in the starboard side master.
    Shoe bag ……………. we sewed up a 4 compartment bag that goes between the master queen berth
    and hanging locker
    line bags ………….. we sewed up line bags for the foreword and aft area
    bungee cord/fiddle for medicine cabinet …….. every time we open the medicine cabinet things would fall out
    drill a hole in the side of the medicine cabinet put a knot at each ……………………………………….end and the problem is solved

BBQ grill/extra propane bottle ………. having a barbecue grill is great, and the extra propane bottle has come
    in handy.
    Coleman oven ……………. this is not a fold up type, it looks more like a microwave oven, but works
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, on propane. I don't think they made it for very long, and I haven't seen any
    advertised lately. But for cruising its great. Although bulky
    salt water washdown pump ……….. I wouldn't recommend this necessarily by itself unless you do a lot of
    cruising. However, it is how we power the pressure salt water at the galley sink
    pressure salt water for galley sink………………….. see above
    swim ladder…………………… actually does should have gone in the necessary items, but I think it is
    included in the cruising package asked Dick
    radar…………………… I love it, but I would devil a spend my money on a chart plotter
    before I bought radar.
    Helm seat ……………………. I had mentioned this when you were asking about helm seats. As I had said
    we almost always have a large cooler on board, I just put the seat on top of the
    cooler and it works fine for me. Also it's very easy to store, and worth its weight
    in gold to use in the dinghy because, it gives you a back rest.
    US flag ……………………… nice to have a place to mount the US flag we mounted our’s on the davit's
    Sunscreen……………………. we made up a sunscreen that goes across the back of the hardtop and hooks
    To the aft rail. May be a florida thing
    THE END

well, it's still pretty jumbled. Like I said on the Yahoo site if you would like a better copy end me your e-mail address to
    mangomike@earthlink.net
    and I'll e-mail the list back to you in Word format.

Michael
    Hull#20
    Punta gorda fl
    oh
    a

TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

Default Re: Rocinante project list

Mike,
    Thanks for joining the forum and re-posting your list.
    Very helpful. Will be talking with Dick about several items.
    It is not jumbled up to bad for me.
    I set my screen to "wide blue" at the botom of page.

Wish more people from the Yahoo forum would post here.
    Much nicer setup. Easier to follow threads, you can post pictures and videos... etc.

I notice the Milwaukee drill/boatswain's chair will now take up a light person and not a "white" person. I was going to ask you about that.

yes, I tweaked the post a little.
    For a couple different reasons I use voice recognition software. Sometimes it comes up with some very interesting and perhaps not very PC things. oh well
    Michael
    Rosinante
    Hull number 20.. MC 30
    Punta Gorda Florida

Agree about the voice recognition software! My mom and I spend a lot of time laughing at the versions her captioning phone and the captions on the TV come up with, compared to what was said. Sometimes you can figure out what it was supposed to be, sometimes it's anybody's guess!

I like your list. Sounds very practical, and very helpful. Going to need it when I get my boat! I'm going to save this post! Thanks!