Thread: Sail Drive Removal - Help Please!

Default Sail Drive Removal - Help Please!

We are hauled out at Shelter Bay Marina,here in Panama, to do bottom paint - and service the saildrives. The starboard one has developed a leak, about litre per hour.

I am assuming its the diaphragm seal around the leg itself. I have
    the replacement diaphragm, but the instructions that come with it are useless, as is the SD40 manual for this job.
    How do I get the saildrive out and replace the seal? Do we have to cut the trim ring around the leg with a grinder and then glass back in place
    when were finished?
    In addition to changing the oil, is there any other preventative maintenance we should do while were out? The clutch cones seem to be working fine at 1850 hours. We have spares should we replace while the legs are out, or run them until they start to slip?
    Any advice will be very much appreciated!
    Thanks, Derek

Default Re: Sail Drive Removal - Help Please!

Article about changing a sail drive gaiter, here not a multihull, but a guess it's the same procedure

http://www.maxiowners.org.uk/Technic...rivegaiter.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Gale View Post
    We are hauled out at Shelter Bay Marina,here in Panama, to do bottom paint - and service the saildrives. The starboard one has developed a leak, about litre per hour.

I am assuming it’s the diaphragm seal around the leg itself. I have
    the replacement diaphragm, but the instructions that come with it are useless, as is the SD40 manual for this job.
    How do I get the saildrive out and replace the seal? Do we have to cut the trim ring around the leg with a grinder and then glass back in place
    when we’re finished?
    In addition to changing the oil, is there any other preventative maintenance we should do while we’re out? The clutch cones seem to be working fine at 1850 hours. We have spares – should we replace while the legs are out, or run them until they start to slip?
    Any advice will be very much appreciated!
    Thanks, Derek
    This might be helpful to you when you get into the Lower Unit:

http://cruising.stuffiminto.com/mari...sd30-sd31.html

You definitely don't have to do any cuts to the hull or fiberglass work. It should come apart mechanically.

Oregon, USA until I retire and we sail away

PDF manual is here:

http://j30.us/files/J109/Yanmar-SD20...al-EPB5547.pdf

It includes SD20, SD30 and SD31 despite only indicating SD20 in file name

- Rusty

The OPs post is 4 years old. I hope he got it out by now.