Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: broadblue gone forever??

Default Re: broadblue gone forever??

The 415 has not any access to the nacelle;it is all glassed over during construction. The anchor winch cables do run in the nacelle. The boat has conduits for the cables- however, the only fore-aft conduit accessable is on the starboard side from the wardrobe forward.
    We have worked on this boat for the last 4 months- you don't expect to buy an expensive new boat and then have to spend big money and lots of time putting right the deficiencies!
    My main area of concern now is the rig- The boat was certified by RYA as a BB 42. Is the rig on the 415 the same? Does the 42 have a backstay? is it a Z spars section? Our surveyor noted an excess deflection with the reacher up in 15kts wind.

The rig on ours is made by Z-Spars and we do not have any backstays, just upper and lower shrouds to the chainplates and the three forestays - an inner one and two for the sails.

We have used our gennaker (reacher) in well over 15knots of wind, sometimes up to 22-24knts. I have noticed some bend towards the top of the mast in these conditions but that is to be expected because the gennaker forestay is right at the top of the mast and the upper shrouds are a little way down from the top. I would not say we have any worrying deflection. I am pretty sure the 415 has exactly the same sail area as our 42 and I would expect the rig to be identical as well.

I have spoken to Z-Spars in the past and they always seemed to indicate that the rig was well up to the task and was probably a bit overspecified if anything. Z-Spars have been supplying masts and rigging since the Prout days and I have not heard of any problems or failures. The diamond stays on the mast do add considerable stability to the mast column.

Perhaps you just need your rig to be properly tensioned and set up to eliminate your problem. Do not rely on the rig being set up properly as delivered - ours was very slack when we bought Nimrod and a 435 was also delivered with very slack rigging. Do not overtighten it - this will cause problems with doors sticking inside, you need to aim for sufficient tension in the rig so that the leeward shrouds are only just slack when close hauled in a decent breeze but not floppy.

The rig does sound similar. I contacted Z spars who could not confirm whether there had been any changes (just that there was not any warranttee!) I was concerned that, as part of the cost savings by BB, the rig may have been 'modified'.
    Re the set up- our mast was 'set up' by Jeckell's; they left it with the cap shroud's not bolted! The surveyor,Peter Davies (highly recommended)went up the mast and discovered this!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234