Thread: New Maine Cat 33

Default New Maine Cat 33

I was on the Maine Cat website last night and saw this exciting news:

"Big news for sailors! We are introducing a new Maine Cat 33...our first one is now under construction...Call us for more information..."

Naturally, I couldn't wait until morning so I sent an email begging for more info. I haven't heard anything yet - do any of you guys know about this new project?

Default Re: New Maine Cat 33

Very exciting, would love to know more. Rather than every one of us calling up asking the same questions, do we have a volunteer to get some drawings, specs, etc?

Since Jeff is in mid build on a 30, did they ask you if you wanted a 33?

Thanks!

Mark

TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mark424 View Post
    Since Jeff is in mid build on a 30, did they ask you if you wanted a 33?
    I was not aware of the new MC33's existence until I read about it here.
    I contacted Dick of Maine Cat and he told me....

"You signed a contract for the MC 30 in July of 2010. I hadn't even been thinking of stretching the hulls of the 30.
    The MC 33 got designed two weeks ago and is basically a custom boat for this one owner and uses the forward half of the MC 30 hulls and new aft section that is has a 3' extension. Deck and cockpit are the same except the cockpit has been stretched 18".

Kind of hard for me to have not mentioned it to you, since it did not exist 6 months ago.

The 33 has twin diesel inboards since the owner wants to motor at 9 knots. The interior and deck layout of rig and controls are the same as the 30."

Quote Originally Posted by TYRNTLZRDKING View Post
    Kind of hard for me to have not mentioned it to you, since it did not exist 6 months ago.
    Jeff,

I didn't mean to imply that, sorry if it came across that way. I sort of thought it was an update to the 30 that Dick had been working on for a while...not a one off. The note on the website makes it sound more like a new model introduction.

I wonder how the weight of the diesels will offset the waterline in terms of performance potential. If the sail area doesn't change it sounds like light air performance might suffer due to weight and powering/heavy air would be a bit better. Longer hulls could help hobby horsing a bit. If the owner wants to power at 9 knots for any appreciable distance, I'd imagine he is pobably carring more fuel as well.

Mark

Seems to me the added hardware under the water, props, sail drives etc. Would definitely make for worse performance. I think the added 3' is great but the addition of diesels takes away from what I really like about the MC 30 which is performance and simplicity.

Well, an MC30XL wasn't quite was I was imagining based on the website teaser, but it sounds like it has potential.

I'll admit that what I was hoping for was a modified aft cabin, that raised the berth up and made it bigger, extending out onto the bridgedeck (a la the PDQ 32 aft cabin, but on just one side). No reason to believe that's what they were doing, it's just what I was hoping for.

I was hoping for a different direction as well. I would like to of seen the births moved forward above the bridgedeck which would open the rest of the boat up to include things like twin heads. I like the idea of the hull extensions but I would also like to see the mini keels go away and add another dagger. I like the easy to care for low drag outboards as well. It would also be nice to add a more powerful rig with a square top main.The 30 is still a great boat but with a bit more performance and space it could really dominate the market place.

I emailed Dick Vermeulen at Maine Cat and he replied
    Sandy,

Always good to hear from you and happy new year as well.

I like the idea of the electric auxiliary. Who needs a motor anyway? We are building the best sailing cat....why do we need big engines......the owner says he needs them....
    We are looking for owners who can think "outside box" and are looking for a hot cat and built like nothing else in the world. The MC 33 will be a hoot. Bigger rig for those who know how to sail a cat and longer bow pole for a bigger screacher.

For now we have modified the MC hull and deck molds to fit a totally reshaped aft half of the boat. We did not just add 3' on the back end like Seawind. We have a completely new 15' aft section faired into the middle of the MC 30 hulls. Looks ***y as hell. Photo shows where we stopped the front half of the MC 30 hull part.

Should have an illustration up on our web site in a week or two. God it's fun to design and build new boats.

Hope to see you again this year at a show or two. Dick
    Attached Images Attached Images

TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

Looks like they have another P47 (#7?) nearing completion in the background.

Times do change, don't they? I have to say I am a bit surprised by Sandy's post, but only a bit. Dick likes to design and build things and when presented with a good idea, he will go for it (sometimes reluctantly at first).

Two vignettes pop into my head.

I vividly remember sitting on TabbyCat at the 2005 Annapolis Boat Show and one of Dick's MC30 customers was absolutely convinced that Dick should also have the MC38 (originally the prototype for the 41), as part of the group of offerings and Dick was having none of it.

We also pressed pretty hard for a hybrid engine solution when we signed up for hull #7 in October 2004. Again, Dick was having none of it.

Mike

TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

Thing that confuses me is how the MC33 design was not conceived until around the end of December yet here is a picture of the first MC33 well into construction before the begining of November.

Any new news/data on the MC33?

Anyone talk to Dick at the Miami show about the new design?

Thanks

Mark

TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

The MC 33 is a new model we are building. We had a customer ask us for one and we have one in production to be launched this summer. She will do the fall boat shows and then join our charter fleet in Hope Town. The idea behind this boat is the owner wanted a boat with diesel engines rather than the outboards we use on the MC 30. He also wanted fixed windows up front. The typical boat, however, will have twin Yamaha 9.9 4-stroke high thrust electric start, hydraulic trim and tilt engines like the MC 30 unless the owner wants diesels. Again the boat will have the strataglass windows as standard but someone may opt for the fixed operable windows. I have attached a price sheet showing the cost of the standard boat. I know the first line of the price sheet list mention specifications dated 7/10/10 but we are really still working on those.
    The boat will be laid out the same as the MC 30 but the cockpit will be longer and, if anyone opts for the diesels, there will be a fixed bulkhead aft to separate the berths from the engines.

That's all I can tell you right now but let me know if you want further information as it becomes available. Once the first one gets launched will have photos.

Regards,
    Lynn Vermeulen
    Maine Cat

MAINE CAT 33 CRUISER PACKAGE SPECIAL

 Maine Cat 33 Cruiser Package specifications dated July 10, 2010
     Twin Yamaha 9.9 hp, 4-stroke, high thrust, electric start, hydraulic trim and lift
     Kobelt dual single level engine controls and Felsted 33 premium cables
     Radial-cut Pentex main, sail cover, and Selden MDS low friction cars
     Radial-cut jib on Schaefer 2100 series roller furler with cover , Gull Striker
     Sport hardtop with full acrylic enclosure and three screens
     Two 110 watt solar panels mounted on hardtop with solar controller
     Garmin instruments (speed, depth, wind and weather), with 2 GMI 10 heads
     Garmin GHP12 autopilot with Jefa linear mechanical drive, below decks
     Epoxy barrier coating and two coats ablative bottom paint
     22# Delta anchor, bow roller, tensioner, 200’ by 9/16”rode and 6’ chain
     Frigoboat 12 volt holding plate refrigeration system, keel-cooled
     Garmin 200 VHF radio complete with Metz mast head antenna and wiring
     Sony AM/FM/CD stereo system with two Sony waterproof speakers
     Composite Davits, completely rigged with 5-part tackles

Special Package Price $239,000.00

This is a great sail away package with everything you need to go cruising in comfort and safety. Additional options can be added at the current pricing shown on the Maine Cat 30 Options Worksheet.

Pricing effective January 1, 2011 and includes installation. FOB factory Bremen, Maine USA. Taxes and commissioning are not included.

Hi Jeff

How does the pricing comparen to the 30?

Cheers Paul

The previous post is one of the other things I like about Maine Cat. They aren't afraid to let you know right up front what one of their boats cost, show you what's included (almost always high-quality equipment), and accept the fact that YOU have the intelligence to then make a decision.

Fair Winds,
    Mike

TYRNTLZRDKING Guest

Quote Originally Posted by paulrack View Post
    Hi Jeff

How does the pricing comparen to the 30?

Cheers Paul

Listed price is a bit more than I paid for my 30.
    Not sure how much you can negotiate.

I have been told the 8.8 hp engines my contract included are no longer available and I will be getting the 9.9 hp Yamaha's.
    Still waiting to see if I am asked to pay for this mandatory upgrade.

Interesting how the early specification sheet for the 33 is dated July of 2010 when they "hadn't even been thinking of stretching the hulls of the 30" during this time.