Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Admiral History?

Default Is Admiral History?

Rumor has it that Admiral Yachts is now a part of catamaran history.

Is it true? If the answer is yes, please substantiate it. The company website is still up - though that means little. The Admiral Owner's Association web site has been "up" for years but has been totally defunct for that whole time.

-BH

Default Re: Is Admiral History?

I know their factory was auctioned off, I assume they have closed but have not heard it officially. I had also heard they were moving to smaller premises closer to Cape Town.

Wow. That's too bad.

It really is a good (if somewhat dated) design. In their last models, I saw them add numerous very useful and solid improvements too.

It's sad that the company could not keep it going. Good boat, but we all heard such awful things about the company. Its such a compettetive market today and a small builder (or even a large one) cannot afford to screw up in the age of the internet. Word gets around too fast. I just looked at the "Cautionary Tale" thread on the MH sailing forum ...over 11,000 hits. THAT is what I am talking about!

Its tragic really, for many people. As for me, you know I fell in love with the boat at 2 Annapolis boat shows. early last year I was on the way to formulating an order and a proposed schedule for this year, before all the troubles started.

I know all about the Ocean's Dream debacle. I also think something else was going on. Buyers I talked to all said that their boat was great (except Ocean's Dream, of course). But they all had serious complaints about how difficult the company (most particularly Craig, the production manager) was to work with. Lots of broken promises and price-jacking and screaming fits.

That is not what people sign up for when spending a half-million dollars US on a boat.

Maybe other builders will get the message: your customer better come first or ...

bye bye

-BH

Looks like they have been placesd into provisional liquidation.

http://www.wegotads.co.za/class_ad.c...=475852&sfid=1

Quote Originally Posted by paulrack View Post
    Looks like they have been placesd into provisional liquidation.

http://www.wegotads.co.za/class_ad.c...=475852&sfid=1
    Hmmmmm. So the figreglass resin manufacturers Scott Bader have got burnt. Oh dear, sorry for them, now the cost will go onto other customers in due course.

I seem to remember that Paul said that the molds had already been 'bought' by the former owner through a different company that he owns or controls. Probable price 1Rand?????

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Thanks for the update, Paul.

Brad

Admiral yachts are not history. I spoke to the new owner last week and found him as helpful as David was. As far as I know,
    all is good.........

I understood that the people doing the fitting out of the woodwork of the boats bought the company but the moulds were purchased by the previous owner - just what I have heard. No proof.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Bananas View Post
    Admiral yachts are not history. I spoke to the new owner last week and found him as helpful as David was. As far as I know,
    all is good.........
    Hello, welcome!

That sounds good. Do you have anymore information please?

Mike

all is good.........
    I would caution anyone thinking about purchasing a new Admiral to have detailed credit checks plus background checks of any company selling the brand - given the background this is common sense anyway.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Hi Guys
    I'm a new member, and was looking at the Admiral 50 for sale in Florida. Current model I guess. It's been on the market for months now so I imagine a few of you may know this boat .
    Does anyone have any feedback on it.
    I see a huge amount of salon glass windows, and wonder about the strength of it in rougher conditions?
    Any help appreciated
    Cheers
    Charles

CHIL hello and welcome. There has been quite a lot of negative information about Admiral cats that has been published on the web and here. It seems original Admirals were very good, then things went badly wrong. Who has the molds now, and whether there is anything being done is a moot point. Certainly don't rely on support from the manufacturer at present.

All of which does not necessarily mean that the boat you are looking at is not a good boat. However it would have to be at a good price and you would need a thorough survey done.

I would be wary.

Mike

I would second Mike's advice as the way to go.
    You should be able to get the boat at a good price given that the maker is no longer in business and you would have ti have a detailed survey - given those two points being covered it may be a good buy.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Their website is still up and as far as I can ascertain, it's being maintained. They look to be alive and well though the "about us" page is blank.

In looking at their Google Map of the company location, it's odd that a large boat builder isn't located on a body of water.

Admiral Yachts

They are gone - the website has no meaning and the reason there is no 'about us' is that there it nothing to say about nothing
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

The history of South African boat builders is basically a bunch of thieves. Of all the thieves in SA David Bird of Admiral is the worst. When Island Spirit and Charter Catswent under the owners pocketed the customers deposits. I bet David Bird made out very well. He will open up another and sell the same junk boats then fold and keep everyone's deposits.

Seriously - dont hold back - tell us what you really think.

Quote Originally Posted by catguy43 View Post
    [...] Of all the thieves in SA David Bird of Admiral is the worst. [...] I bet David Bird made out very well. He will open up another and sell the same junk boats then fold and keep everyone's deposits.
    You obviously base your opinion on first hand evidence of his behaviour or tales passed on by others. Can you elaborate? And can I ask what prompted you to speak up here, now?
    Last edited by Karen; 28th April 2012 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by catguy43 View Post
    The history of South African boat builders is basically a bunch of thieves. Of all the thieves in SA David Bird of Admiral is the worst. When Island Spirit and Charter Catswent under the owners pocketed the customers deposits. I bet David Bird made out very well. He will open up another and sell the same junk boats then fold and keep everyone's deposits.
    Nice, informative, friendly, open introductory post.

And you have come to this sweeping disembowlment of all South African boat builders by some path that so far is only clear to you.

It would really go a long way toward establishing some credibility if you could substantiate some of this.

Welcome to the forum, btw. Do you sail?
    Tropical island life in the Devil's Triangle.
    http://2gringos.blogspot.com/

We bought an Admiral 50 about 7/8 years ago and found David excellent to deal with. We have been living on-board and cruising for most of this time. After 40,000 nm ocean miles and 35 countries are very happy with our Admiral.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast