Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Babiba Refit

Default Babiba Refit

Don't know if anybody is interested, but I thought I would just post a few pictures showing what I have been doing over the last 4 months, looks like nothing, but I can assure you there has been a lot of Blood, Sweat, Tears, frustration, temper tantrums and extremely foul language:

I have tried to put the pictures in groups showing the transformations from what she was like to where I am now.

Basically I have ripped out the complete guts (well nearly- all linings, carpets and some of the wiring).

I have then rewired the complete lighting circuit, fitted insulation to the ceilings, sanded all areas, made a step inside the saloon door, panelled in a couple of areas, made extra inspection hatches to the engines etc. etc.

Next stage is complete hull lining in a soft, rot proof, sound proofing carpet, cork flooring, veneering in light oak of the nav station, lining the ceiling with 3mm vinyl cored board and 44mm wide long strips of oak to cover all joins etc. In theory she should like quite nice.

The galley will be lined (one side only, by the hob and behind the sink) in very thin and pretty light stainless steel sheet bending around all angles.

I will update after the next stage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Babiba Refit

More Pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

She looked nice before you started. Now look what a mess you have got. Second-hand value must have plummeted!

Mike

PS. Well done!
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Ian,

Your Dad gave you some money to buy THAT????

Actually, what you have done is very impressive--I don't know how you had the time to do my shirt!

I am ready to go sailing with you, but you are going to have to get a lot more done before I can convince Sandi to fly across the pond to have a ride with you!

Keep working--today is officially Spring!!!

Marshall
    "People sail for fun and no one has yet convinced me that it's more fun to go slow than it is to go fast." -- Dick Newick

Ian, Babiba was a lovely boat, but what have you done?! What a bloody mess!

Seriously, your pics remind me of house renovation. The worst bit is (probably) over. From now on anything you do will make Babiba look and feel better. Keep up the good work. Now you've shown us what you get up to in your spare time, don't forget to post new pics as work progresses

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Ian, you certainly have undertaken a huge project, but I have no doubt it will be worth the effort. I tore out old glued on vinyl/carpet and replaced flooring in my boat, but have done it one cabin at a time. After 4 years I am still not done (one aft cabin, the shower and the main saloon headliner remain). Frankly your way makes more sense if you can dedicate the time.

Look forward to your updates!

Brad

Ian, your boat is going to look great! We also tore all the carpet of and replaced the headliner in the hulls. The absolute best thing we did was put in the cork floors. Love the stuff!

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement, let's just hope I don't make a pig's ear of it, she is coming out for a couple of weeks in April to do some other stuff.
    I wont finish herb this year but hope to have 75% done.

Quote Originally Posted by IreAneY View Post
    I wont finish herb this year but hope to have 75% done.
    I've sometimes wondered if you were smoking something but only 75% in a year is one hell of a spliff

Quote Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
    I've sometimes wondered if you were smoking something but only 75% in a year is one hell of a spliff
    Well spotted, never could type, mind you with the amount of weed on her (not herb, please note) bottom, I could make a huge spliff , but not sure what effect seaweed has when you smoke it

Ian,
    I'm glad I never let YOU too close to "Burnout" - didn't realize when I met you that you are such a destructive man!

Oh boy, what you could have achieved with my boat ......

Well, we look forward to seeing HOW you put it all together again!
    Roger

------------------
    I look to the future, because that's where I am going to spend the rest of my life - George Burns

PS:

What's entailed to become a "BABIBA supporter"?

Helping with THAT mess?
    Roger

------------------
    I look to the future, because that's where I am going to spend the rest of my life - George Burns

Quote Originally Posted by multihullsailor6 View Post
    No, we look forward to seeing IF he can put it all together again

What do you mean, "Put it all back together again" , I have stripped it out to make it nice and light , I am going for the minimalist look

What do you mean, "Put it all back together again" , I have stripped it out to make it nice and light , I am going for the minimalist look
    So, IF and when you have put it all together again - sort of that is - are you ready for a race against a similar sized boat which didn't get the minimalistic treatment? "Burnout" is still overweight ....
    Roger

------------------

So, IF and when you have put it all together again - sort of that is - are you ready for a race against a similar sized boat which didn't get the minimalistic treatment? "Burnout" is still overweight ....
    Yes a race sounds good, trouble is when I have put it all back together again with 24 mm ply, loads of epoxy, fillers, steel screws, hinges etc, she might sink :

PS. I was just going to give you a BURNOUT supporter badge, but I couldn't.

Yes a race sounds good, trouble is when I have put it all back together again with 24 mm ply, loads of epoxy, fillers, steel screws, hinges etc, she might sink :
    Well a "sunken" catamaran is close to your humourous heart, isn't it?
    And please, use stainless steel screws! I'm still finding rusty steel screws, guess the words I use when I find them are known to you ...
    Roger

------------------

PS. I was just going to give you a BURNOUT supporter badge, but I couldn't.
    I blew it then, damn!
    Roger

------------------

I blew it then, damn!
    No you haven't blown anything,l I will email it to you, but I don't think Paul has given me all privileges behind the scenes, (probably a good idea : - just think what fun I could have had ).

As CF have their own nice little badges and some others here do, I wanted my own

PS I am not stupid enough ( believe it or not) not to use anything but the best stainless screws.

PS I am not stupid enough ( believe it or not) not to use anything but the best stainless screws.

I'm sure there should be a joke in there somewhere!

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast