Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Members Please Read

Home port Chesapeake Bay; Cruising full time.

Default Re: New Members Please Read

Quote Originally Posted by OneShotOneKill View Post
    Currently beginning to learn the skills and art of sailing on a dingy and a Catalina 22 with the end goal being something along the lines of a Manta 42...
    The very, very, very best way to learn. Master that dinghy in all sorts of (inshore) conditions and you will be WAY ahead of anyone learning on a big boat. Make a mistake and you'll get wet. Jibe it incorrectly and you might get a knot on your head and THEN get wet. Keep sailing that dinghy until it becomes an extension of your body and you react to it without thinking about it.

Having access to the Catalina 22 will offer a very effective learning tool one step up from the dinghy. Master that and you will learn things that folks starting out in big cruisers or big cruising cats will never learn. Along the way consider a beach cat or find a beach cat racer to crew for. This will get you into battened sails and the higher apparent wind speeds experienced by faster boats of any design.

Good luck,
    2 Hulls Dave

Quote Originally Posted by OneShotOneKill View Post
    Currently beginning to learn the skills and art of sailing on a dingy and a Catalina 22 with the end goal being something along the lines of a Manta 42. I retire in 18the years, so I have that long to learn what I need to sail all oceans and latitudes (except Africa). Big goals and dreams, but the finances are already coming together nicely. We'll see...
    Ahhh!

Such a great boat. Been loving it for years. Hands down the best cockpit I have ever seen.

This is a wonderful site. Thank you. Still learning on a Mac26X in Cebu Philippines.. where there are hardly any local sailors to learn from. I'm hoping to move up to Multihulls in the near future...or at least have both.

Saw your fantastic St. Francis 50 video...glad your problems sorted out and smile back on face!

Hope to contribute something someday to this forum..even if just local knowledge of my area. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by MacCebu View Post
    This is a wonderful site. Thank you. Still learning on a Mac26X in Cebu Philippines.. where there are hardly any local sailors to learn from. I'm hoping to move up to Multihulls in the near future...or at least have both.

Saw your fantastic St. Francis 50 video...glad your problems sorted out and smile back on face!

Hope to contribute something someday to this forum..even if just local knowledge of my area. Cheers!
    Gooday 'Mac' - Welcome to our mad-house. Great bunch a guys in this group - not a bad 'mob' overall.

We've got a few - really nice chaps - over your way, that are in here & doing what you are or trying to do just that. I'm trying to get over there to do the very same thing (sail) also. I know that with 7000 islands - it's a very big place but then so is OZ - where I live. World's much smaller these days - cause we can all keep in touch & be friends.

Enjoy your Mac 26X & tell us more about it - - some pics would be just great also.

Enjoy your weekend & keep smilin', ciao, james

Thanks James. I'm enjoying the lively discussions in the " Madhouse" !

Whereabouts in OZ are you from? Google earth will educate me quick. You can PM me friends nearby that may be able to teach a thing or two about sailing. A Chris White Atlantic would be the dream cat for me...or a Maine cat 41 as it would be perfect for the weather cruising around the 7,000 islands. Just not sure how to bring a used Maine from the east coast to here...or an atlantic 42 from somewhere in the BVI. I will just have to gain more experience FAST as am not getting any younger. Thanks again.

Thanks James. I'm enjoying the lively discussions in the " Madhouse" !

Whereabouts in OZ are you from? Google earth will educate me quick. You can PM me friends nearby that may be able to teach a thing or two about sailing. A Chris White Atlantic would be the dream cat for me...or a Maine cat 41 as it would be perfect for the weather cruising around the 7,000 islands. Just not sure how to bring a used Maine from the east coast to here...or an atlantic 42 from somewhere in the BVI. I will just have to gain more experience FAST as am not getting any younger. Thanks again.
    Hello and welcome. What is a Mac26X?
    Some years ago I would have assumed it to be a MacWester 26', I had one. However there aren't many of those about now.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Hi Mike! I have '97 MacGregor 26X. I gather there's about 9,000 of these boats as it's quite versatile and a great beginning platform for first time sailors. I have only had it for 3 months so I'm learning something everyday...even about multihulls!

Hi Mike! I have '97 MacGregor 26X. I gather there's about 9,000 of these boats as it's quite versatile and a great beginning platform for first time sailors. I have only had it for 3 months so I'm learning something everyday...even about multihulls!
    Ah, I have just googled it. Looks nice. It appears surprisingly similar in concept to my old boat, though 40 years younger with all the advantages.

It looks a very nice boat to learn on. A move to a cat will be very different. I found it to be a big (nice) surprise.

Enjoy yourself!

Mike

Smile Re: New Members Please Read

Thank you for your encouraging words Mike. I have looked up your Heavenly twins and all of a sudden I have a new dream boat!

What a beautiful cat you have! That cockpit is ideal for warm climate. I've only seen aft and forward cockpits before this...and now a mid cockpit? Is that how it's called?...and the distinction of being the first multihull to circumnavigate.

How many of these were made? I understand there's a 34 footer as well? Is there any for sale in the South east Asia region?Around what price range?

Sorry. Is there also a quota for how many questions you can ask per post?

I may have exceeded already.

Hector

...Heavenly twins....
    ...What a beautiful cat...
    Hector
    The first cat I fell in love with, oh so long ago.

The Heavenly Twins is a nice little boat (I've built a couple of them) but it wasn't the first cat to circumnavigate. That was Rehu Moana, a 40' cold moulded plywood cat built by Prouts and sailed by Kiwi Dr. David Lewis and his family. Lewis took part in the 1964 Single handed Transatlantic race, then sailed on with his wife and kids to circumnavigate via the Magellan Straits.
    Rehu Moana was subsequently wrecked in Cawsand Bay Cornwall UK and the only bit surviving is the main boom, and that's on my boat!

Thank you for sharing that info Tabs. I am in awe at the depth of the information available and the willingness of the members to share it here.I'm learning something new every time I log in.

Hector

Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    The Heavenly Twins is a nice little boat (I've built a couple of them) but it wasn't the first cat to circumnavigate. That was Rehu Moana, a 40' cold moulded plywood cat built by Prouts and sailed by Kiwi Dr. David Lewis and his family. Lewis took part in the 1964 Single handed Transatlantic race, then sailed on with his wife and kids to circumnavigate via the Magellan Straits.
    Rehu Moana was subsequently wrecked in Cawsand Bay Cornwall UK and the only bit surviving is the main boom, and that's on my boat!
    Tabs, you do come up with the most amazing information!

Do you have a cold moulded plywood Prout too?

Mike

I know I helped with my post but why don't we move this to another thread since it has nothing to do with how many PMs a new member might have.

Mod?

I will have a look tomorrow and see what I can do - off to bed now

Old sailers but new Cat sailers
    We just switched gears and moved to a Prout 37 Snowgoose.
    We are thinking that it will be easier to handle than a big Mono and love the idea of flat sailing and small sails to grind
    Are there any other Prout owners in the group, we have lots to do on the boat and not much info seems to ba around
    We are going to reposer , replacing the worn out 3GMD yanmar
    we are considering a BETA 30 or a rebuilt yanmar , but we will want a freshwater cooled engine to replace the old Yanmar
    Has any one replaced a 3GMD ?
    We have owned lots of yanmars and love them they are all good, but the BETA is looking like a viable replacement any comments on parts availability in the Carribbean?
    Vince and Nancy SV Bad Kitty

Welcome to te forum and I am sure you will enjoy the flatter experience.
    I am sure someone will be able to help with advise but you are better off posting in the main sailing forum under the different heading that relate to the questions.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

Smile Re: New Members Please Read

Here is number1

I meant here is number 1 post, not number 1 person. In case there was some confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Us4byrds View Post
    I meant here is number 1 post, not number 1 person. In case there was some confusion.
    Hello, welcome!

Are you sure you got that the right way round?

What do you sail?

Mike

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast