Thread: Bottlescrews !

Default Bottlescrews !

,,,bit of a shock today when we put the mast back up ....
    started to tighten the cap and lower shrouds when one of the bottlescrews just ripped out its threads !
    still tied up to the dock at the time , thank god, but so easily could have pulled out as soon as a load went on to the mast , the resulting chaos/damage could have been catastrophic !
    all the rig is 13 years old and I have now ordered new rigging screws ? ( Sta lock )throughout the whole rig , (x6) just cant trust them any more .

I didn,t get where I am today by being somewhere else !

Default Re: Bottlescrews !

That was nasty! Was there any evidence, even with hind-sight that there was a problem?

Have you ordered new wire as well?

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

You had a close shave there by the sounds of it. In the UK it's considered by many to be good practice to replace standing rigging every ten years. Although lots of people don't, this is a good example of why they should. I'm glad there was no damage to either you or your cat.

Thanks guys ,
    it was quite a shock . I spoke to a well known rigging co. in uk about the age of the rig and they suggested I scrutinize the rig closely , as it should be ok , which I did and it was . How can you predict a thread failure though ? they all looked good and were free running , and bronze / chrome which I,m told are the best . One thing was different this time I took the mast down though , an old sailing friend said that its good practice to "soak " the bottlescrews in oil through the winter , so thats what I did , could this have affected the metal ?

How often do you tune your rig ? 2x a year for me , so all the b/screws get regular tweaking and lubricating .
    The new ones are sta lock , but bodies only , not end fittings and all the rig wire is Dyform .

Hi Gra
    Glad to hear that no damage or serious events happened, as you say how would you know that a failure was imminent if all looked OK.
    Have you considered spectra like has been discussed elsewhere, at least you could see if there was any wear etc.
    Cheers
    Ian
    PS Doing loads on Babiba, new gear all sorts of changes etc.

Landlocked in the UK, thankfully near a lake

Scary. Glad that it happened in a controlled environment and not out at sea during a squall

Quote Originally Posted by IreAneY View Post
    Hi Gra

Ian
    PS Doing loads on Babiba, new gear all sorts of changes etc.
    Ian!

Glad to see you. What have you been doing? Perhaps I should ask on another thread but I had been itching to know what you were up to after your canal 'voyage'.

Mike

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Gramos, I can't imagine that oil could have contributed in any way to deterioration of the threads. And yes, bronze bodies are considered the best as the don't tend to seize (although since the screws are stainless, there are galvanic issues with the dissimilar metals). Was the threading gone on the body, or the screws, or both? Once removed, were all of them showing similar wear?

It strikes me that the only way to inspect would be to undo the body on perhaps a yearly basis (something which I have never done).

In any event, as everyone has already said, I'm glad it happened when and where it did.

Cheers!

Brad

It makes me think even more about Dynema, easy splicing, and dead-eyes.

Mike

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Mike, I hear you - although in fairness, 13 years in salt water for the original standing rigging (or should I say 12!) really isn't too bad. I'd still be interested in hearing if the remaining bottlescrews had (or were developing) the same problem.

Gramos, I assume that by the term 'bottlescrews' you are referring to what we call 'closed body turnbuckles' (or deckscrews) in North America. If so, your unfortunate situation is one of the reasons many people prefer the open body type: firstly, they cannot hold water in the body; secondly, you are able to inspect for traces of corrosion/cracking on the inside of the body, as well as the outside.

Brad
    Last edited by Southern Star; 19th May 2011 at 03:54 PM. Reason: 2 sig.

Brad , they are bronze open body bottlescrews and have always been easy to tune , I have ordered the same type as replacements , but Sta lock instead .

I posted this story on ybw /uk and one suggestion was that the boat dropped a touch whilst the b/srews were being adjusted and as the crane still held the mast up , the result was that the crane , momentarily "held " the boat by the bottlescrew ! , at which point it said "no " ..... I dont do over 5400 kg and let go !
    this is the most plausible reason , so far .

All the others have been checked and are turning well , but hey ,new screws is good for peace of mind .

Gra
    So how mmany have you had to order, as I would only need 4 , I think from memory.

Ian ,
    2x capshrouds , 2x lower shrouds , 1x babystay , 1x forestay ,
    = 6 bottlescrews , from Jimmy Green down your way , good deal , good service .

( maybe I could use screw top bottles ? much cheaper ! )

Seems about time they were all renewed .... was that ever a sign ? :

Forgot about the forestay coz of the drum, don't have a babystay... yet
    Actually have 2 more I think from memory, (going over to play tomorrow afternoon so will check) on each end of the crossbeam holding the tension on the seagull striker.

I know all my rigging (both standing and running) along with spars and sails were new in 2006 and the boat has only been used a few times since all by me bar once, and therefore have not had much strain put on her, but I suppose I must not be complacement and should check them all anyway. especially whille she is ashore awaiting repairs etc.

All 7 are Stayloc open bottlescrews and look great.

Quote Originally Posted by IreAneY View Post
    All 7 are Stayloc open bottlescrews and look great.

Good! Or that would have cost you another 'pretty penny' or two.

Mike