Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desperate Sailors

Default Desperate Sailors

You've just found the best crew and boat finder on the internet.
    Desperate Sailors is also a services finder for cruisers.

If you're desperately seeking a boat to work on, just to relax on or even to race on, create a "Crew Profile".
    If you're desperately seeking crew for your boat, create an "Owner's Profile".
    If you're a cruising sailor with skills that you can offer other owners, create a "Services Profile".

http://www.desperatesailors.com

Default Re: Desperate Sailors

The site has come along in leaps and bounds since its launch in May 2011. If you're a serious cruiser, Desperate Sailors has it all.

There is nothing happening on Desperate Sailors - a Desperate Place for Desperate Sailors. Way to complicated for not much action. Hardly anyone completes their advertisement. Don't waste your time unless you are desperately needing to do so. The only guy who signs in regularly is the moderator, he must be the most desperate sailor.

There's no pleasing some people.

I had an ex-wife like that...
    Tropical island life in the Devil's Triangle.
    http://2gringos.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
    I had an ex-wife like that...
    Join the club
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Wink Re: Desperate Sailors

Gents you are exactly making my point. Iím not desperate to be Ďpleasedí, I can get that anytime! Just a tall, pretty blonde with legs up to your jaw lines (and big boobs, if that what matters to you) who wants her sailing addiction satisfied - nothing else. Desperate Sailors is just like walking into a pub full of randy sailors who aside from shouting about what stallions they are canít deliver on anything they pretend to be, sorry itís just not my scene. Itís still a useful website; itís great to make sure I donít contact any of the blokes who list on Desperate Sailors on any of the other crew websites.
    Last edited by Sailorchick; 3rd July 2012 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailorchick View Post
    ........... itís great to make sure I donít contact any of the blokes who list on Desperate Sailors on any of the other crew websites.
    So where do you meet prospective skippers?

I will be looking for crew in a couple of years and believe that there are two essential criteria>

1. There is no personality clash.

2. Both can trust each other to stand their watch.

Anything else is a bonus!
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Plenty of great crew websites around, no issues there. Do your own research and you will quickly find out which ones are just all claims and which ones actually work.

The only thing that counts for me is honesty both ways, when talking to skippers and making sure they have the money to afford their yacht, the rest is just a matter of how much you care to put up with or stand up for.

This is great! I have left desperatesailors.com and now used findacrew.net for one week and even become a premium boat member.

I have to admit I was sceptical using findacrew because I did believe the online propaganda from desperatesailors that DS were the ultimate crew website and have so much more to offer. Far from it. Findacrew offers less, but what they offer actually works!

Just today I got my daily notification email from findacrew and there are 15 new crew members and 34 updated crew members that match my boat profile in the last 24 hours alone. I never got as many prospects on DS in 5 months.

Findacrew has an instant messaging system where there is actually people to chat with, while on DS there is hardly anyone online at the same time, and findacrew shows you all the stats who is actually online at any one time - they really operate transparent and professional.

And least but not last is actually that members can use findacrew for free for as long as they like but by having the Premium membership you don't have all these loosers contacting you or worse getting your contact details that usually do on desperatesailors. Desperate sailors will be charging members from next year it says on their website, while findacrew has the same system for the last 8 years and members have a choice if they want to pay.

I love it, thank you findacrew and to all these people who pointed me there.

Ocean Sailing 24-7, Hello and thank-you for that link.

It is certainly very interesting.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Interesting comments.
    Findacrew has been going for 8 years. Desperate Sailors for a little over one year. As much as I would like my membership to match or exceed that of Findacrew, it doesn't happen overnight and will take several more years.

Ocean Sailing 24-7, sorry that you have left. I hope you come back at some stage in the future once our membership is higher. By the way, the only way the "loosers" can get your contact details is if you put them in your profile.

Sailorchick, did someone on Desperate Sailors harass you? And by the way, as moderator of the site, I should be online as often as possible.

Desperate Sailors is far more than a crew/boat finder, which in my mind, is just a minor feature of the site.

Home port Chesapeake Bay; Cruising full time.

Stingo - after just a quick browse of your site, it seems like it has a lot to offer. I hope you succeed.

A couple thoughts: when I'm cruising, internet access is a rare commodity. When I can get it, I have to prioritize more critical tasks such as banking, ordering parts, and accomplishing the "business" of managing a private cruising yacht, rather than participating in sites such as yours or even this one. For this practical reason I am disinclined to join you.

Second, I recommend you adopt a new name. Most cruisers don't consider themselves desperate - except, perhaps, for internet access . Given the breadth of the topics you have set out to cover, perhaps "Total Cruising" or something like that would be a more apt moniker and would not sound so........desperate.

Good luck,
    2 Hulls Dave

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by 2hulls View Post
    ... internet access is a rare commodity.
    Agreed. Where DS comes into the equation is when looking for services or parts, eg you desperately need a diesel mechanic or diver etc and using the services of a fellow cruiser will most likely mean that you save a fortune in costs. eg using an appointed agent (the only option if the broken equipment is still under warranty) will probably cost as much as US$90 per hour. A fellow cruiser with the right skills will probably charge you US$30 per hour. He's happy because his cruising kitty has been topped up and you're happy because you didn't give all your beer tokens away.

Second, I recommend you adopt a new name. Most cruisers don't consider themselves desperate - except, perhaps, for internet access . Given the breadth of the topics you have set out to cover, perhaps "Total Cruising" or something like that would be a more apt moniker and would not sound so........desperate.
    Some people love the name, others want nothing to do with it. It's a bit like Marmite (if you're not from the UK, there was an advert there about either loving or hating a product called Marmite).

p.s. Congratulations on reaching your 1000th post

Home port Chesapeake Bay; Cruising full time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    p.s. Congratulations on reaching your 1000th post
    Hmmm, OK, thanks. I wasn't even counting.... I guess you could argue that this means my inet access hasn't been THAT rare.

eg you desperately need a diesel mechanic or diver etc and using the services of a fellow cruiser will most likely mean that you save a fortune in costs. eg using an appointed agent (the only option if the broken equipment is still under warranty) will probably cost as much as US$90 per hour. A fellow cruiser with the right skills will probably charge you US$30 per hour. He's happy because his cruising kitty has been topped up and you're happy because you didn't give all your beer tokens away.
    Yes, making connections is valuable. I've been fortunate so far <knock, knock> to have had the need to hire help only once, to trouble shoot my SSB. Far more prevalent is cruisers helping cruisers on a "pay it forward" practice. Help the next guy in the next anchorage as payment for the help you received last week.

It's a bit like Marmite (if you're not from the UK, there was an advert there about either loving or hating a product called Marmite).
    I am not from the UK, but I am familiar with Marmite. I do prefer Vegemite, but prefer axle grease to both....

2 Hulls Dave

Never tried axle grease myself, think I'd rather risk more Marmite / Vegimite / Bovril etc

Hi Stingo,

Just had a look at your site at work (well, I mean on lunch break).
    Looks nice and will come back to visit.
    Do notice: heavy bandwidth usage, killed my corporate IE8 (could also be due to our corporate censors/appliance), would not need/could not afford loading 27+ items and pictures in some limited bandwidth anchorages. How about a simple no-frills alternative on request ?

Good luck further

Cue: Tex Avery soundtrack
    *** reads post #8, eyes pop out, jaw drops a foot, picks up dropped foot, gift-wraps it and offers it to Sailorchick, saying "what fair foot !" ***
    a tall, pretty blonde with legs up to your jaw lines
    Wow, you must be at least 12 feet tall for this to happen. For sure, you must be quite a sight. Congratulations to your parents, are you related to the Paul Bunyan family ?

Given your size, getting inside my small boat would be quite difficult as you would either need to crawl in on all fours or limbo into the doghouse.
    A bit concerned about the other assets you are so prompt to mention
    big boobs, if that what matters to you.
    In kindergarden I learned not to argue with bigger people, so if a 12 foot girl says she has big ones, they really should be reckoned with.
    These assets could soon become a liability, especially as I presume that it goes without saying that they are also pointy and rock-hard.
    A real risk of gouging my deck while crawling, or scraping paint off the inside of my dog-house roof while limboing, without mentioning the painful bruises you could incur.

Finally, as I guess your middle is in appropriate proportion to your striking figure, I fear the likely question of "Does this companionway door make my a** look fat ?" when you find the entrance to be restricted.

So my limited means can not help with your sailing addiction, sorry.
    Nice to have you on the forum and I hope you find the appropriate boat and crew soon :-)

PS: BTW, if you have any itsy-bitsy, teenie-weenie bikini top that you don't care to wear any more, I wouldn't mind having it as a spare yellow polka-dot spinnaker, even if it makes me look like an incompetent rigger or a bashful blond.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast