Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Babiba Exterior Refit/Alterations

Default Babiba Exterior Refit/Alterations

Sorry........... a bit bored tonight so I thought I would waffle on a bit and up load some photos regarding the changes and work I have been doing to Babs.

Things I have done:
    1) Cleaned the hull and deck using oxalic acid, brilliant all stains gone deck and topside.
    2) Replaced plastic coated steel wire guardrails with Braided cored Dyneema, could not find anybody within a 10 mile radius who could or would splice the eyes, so I used Splicing nuts, special offer at Mailspeed marine 2 for 8.99, they are brilliant, very strong, easy to use and perfect to get the right length (this was the main reason I was going to get someone else instead of doing it myself as getting the length right within 1 or 2 cms is not that easy), and cheaper than getting someone to splice them if you could find someone :
    3) New traveller bolted every 10cm's (christmas Present) 4:1 ratio (spliced my own SS thimbles using cored polyester for the ends) with cam cleats at the end stops and then 6:1 block system for the main sheet, had to use a bit of 7mm thick Iroko under the track , shaped to fit over existing moulds on rear cross beam.
    4) Had to make a wedge out of a (piece of 1" thick teak) taperered to get a 17 degree angle for the base of the Andersen electric winch, as last season I often had a bad problem with the main halyard or port genoa sheet riding up and overlapping itself on the winch, and under strain almost impossible to release which to me was a danger issue.
    5) Fitted new block system on the davits to facilitate easier raising of the tender.
    6) Made a safety line with pelican hook across rear steps.
    7) Fitted vinyl names to each bow and the stern along with SSR number and port details.
    8) Wire brushed the props back to their original state, now nice and shiny, but will be anti fouling them with a product called propshield which is supposed to be really excellent, we shall see.
    Plus gave them a good service
    9) Fitted new black plastic/rubber rubbing strake down both sides, across the rear beam and just on the inside of the bows.
    10) Fitted a 50mm wide cast aluminium spinnaker pole end with piston fitting to be used as my uniquely designed one handed or shorthanded mooring (PATENT PENDING ),idea to work as follows:
    I have a piece of rope at which end are a carabiner hook, in the
    middle section is 1 metre of 8mm SS chain, I attach each end to
    my bow bridle attachments,and the centre link of the chain is
    held in place by the piston of the spinni pole attachment.
    I motor up and over my mooring buoy in between the hulls and
    with a piece of cord going back to the helm position, I pull,
    the chain drops in the water, I reverse, snag the mooring buoy,
    walk forward with boat hook, grab pick up buoy, attach to my
    sansom post, release my easy pick up system from the bow
    bridle attachments and stow away until it is needed next time.
    I just hope it works as it will make my life so easy
    11) Teak oiled the forward slats and aft steps.
    12) Stripped off the white paint around the door surround and teak oiled it.

Doesn't seem like a lot, but I can assure you that it has taken quite a bit of time as I want it all to be spot on.

Still to do outside, antifoul the props, fit my new doors (same as the last ones I made last year but with some improvements) a bit of epoxying under the bows where there are a few gouges where she rode over her mooring chain (this year being shortened) and some antifouling and finally a final clean after all the repairs.

Inside wise, no further on due to the accident, but will update when more happens, but the inside looks bad at the moment
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Babiba Exterior Refit/Alterations

ok so that took care of a morning, what did you do in the afternoon huh?????

love the mooring idea. that really has got some mileage in it. I will have to come knocking and pay the patent infringment fine with liquid gold some time

Kim
    just a scared rabbit in the headlights of life

Yes, Ian, that's the right spirit - you'll be doing "things like this" for a long time to come, it's called "messing around in boats"! Or specifically "improving my boat" - I know what I'm talking about, my own list is still ongoing despite working on "Burnout" every day!
    But from your pictures "Babiba" is looking good!
    Roger

------------------
    I look to the future, because that's where I am going to spend the rest of my life - George Burns

Kim, if you think of using the same idea, I got the spinni pole piston end from 'Z' spars at Ipswich for 33.00 plus P&P, so with a bit of 20mm 3 ply nylon rope and 2 carabiners and 1 metre of SS chain the whole lot cost about 60.00.
    Hopefully a lot cheaper than a new outfit for the wife every time we go out and she falls in

Quote Originally Posted by kim s View Post
    ok so that took care of a morning, what did you do in the afternoon huh?????

love the mooring idea. that really has got some mileage in it. I will have to come knocking and pay the patent infringment fine with liquid gold some time

Kim

Roger
    You are dead right, I have a list that I cross things off, but it seems to grow
    Hope you are well and things going as planned, like your updates, keep the emails coming.
    Hopefully Babs will be aflot by the end of July

Quote Originally Posted by multihullsailor6 View Post
    Yes, Ian, that's the right spirit - you'll be doing "things like this" for a long time to come, it's called "messing around in boats"! Or specifically "improving my boat" - I know what I'm talking about, my own list is still ongoing despite working on "Burnout" every day!
    But from your pictures "Babiba" is looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by IreAneY View Post
    Hopefully a lot cheaper than a new outfit for the wife every time we go out and she falls in
    maybe true-----but not half as entertaining

by the way looking good.its the fun bit about boating, the improving bits.I know your stuck at the moment, but when done.........

at least the weather is conducive to glassing and epoxy.

I often think that the early and late season has the best weather, winter sailing is nice as all the marinas are quite and have space.not so many muppets to run into, so taking the boat out for the usually crap months of high season does not seam like a bad idea.paint varnish can dry between rain showers. also round here there seams to be special deals for haul out and yard space.

hope it all goes well

Kim
    just a scared rabbit in the headlights of life

Ian, your Sunstar looks great! I've always dreamed of having an electric winch but no luck so far. We used a product called Propspeed as an antifouling on our Sunstar props. I don't know if it's the same type product you're going to apply but it worked great. We found it really takes 2 people to apply as there are time restraints on the various stages of application. Always love hearing updates on your Sunstar.

Ian , you have been working hard , she looks great .

I am in intrigued by your design of picking up your mooring , one question comes to mind , knowing the Sunstars ergonomics , how can you see the mooring buoy and hence know when to drop the lines ?

can you do us all a video of a perfect pick up ?
    Was the el. winch already on board or did you buy/fit ?
    Also ,
    I keep breaking whatever I use to attach my headboard to the mast track , what do you use ?

Note on the rubbing strips inboard on each bow , I had these but the mooring lines and anchor bridle kept pulling them off so they were changed for s/s angle with a soft radius for the lines to slip on .

time to go sailing ....
    I didn,t get where I am today by being somewhere else !

Wow, I'm tired just reading the list and trying not to feel guilty / inadequate with my own maintenance efforts..
    She is looking great and you deserved better luck after all the hard work.
    I'm sure the interior will come up just as good as the exterior.
    Geoff.

Andrew
    I think the propspeed is probably the same stuff, you have to melt the red wax type product in it's tub, then heat the props with a blow torch and then apply by cloth or brush, I have been told it can be tricky , it's the next job :

Quote Originally Posted by smj View Post
    Ian, your Sunstar looks great! Thank you I've always dreamed of having an electric winch but no luck so far Came with the boat. We used a product called Propspeed as an antifouling on our Sunstar props. I don't know if it's the same type product you're going to apply but it worked great. We found it really takes 2 people to apply as there are time restraints on the various stages of application. Always love hearing updates on your Sunstar.

Hi Graham
    Thanks for your comments.

With regards to the incredibly well designed mooring pick up system (only joking), I had thought about a mirror, but this would last 2 seconds, by standing next to the helm and just using the throttles I can see pretty well and if I go over the buoy by about 5 feet and then reverse slowly all should be well, this of course is only needed when on my own, if I have a helper they can shout or wave at the time needed to pull the trigger cord, well in theory this is what should happen :, we shall see.

After some practice (wont show it before it is perfected as I might show myself up ) I shall endeavour to video it using a mobile phone and upload it.

The Andersen electric winch was already fitted, when I had to remove it to fit my teak wedge it needed a simple tool, like one of those with 2 prongs that you need to change a disc on an angle grinder, I wrote to Andersen UK who quoted me 38.00 plus 5.70 p&p, I phoned them back explaining I only wanted the tool and not the winch , they very kindly lent me the tool so long as I paid for the postage, nice people.

The mainsail is in the back of my car in it's bag (after a little 2" repair to the sail by the foot luff rope), just tried to get to the headboard but it is tucked a long way back, so can you wait until I put put the battens back in, probably at the week end as it is raining again today.

I was thinking the same about the inside bow rubbing strake, if I get the same problem, I will do as you have.

I screwed my rubbing strake on underneath at every 25 cm's with 316 SS pan head screws, BUT what a bugger putting it on, luckily the sun came out and warmed the rubber up a bit so that I could just ease it over the lip, but my fingers are still hurting now (finished it yesterday).

How's all with you?

Cheers
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by gramos View Post
    Ian , you have been working hard , she looks great .

I am in intrigued by your design of picking up your mooring , one question comes to mind , knowing the Sunstars ergonomics , how can you see the mooring buoy and hence know when to drop the lines ?

can you do us all a video of a perfect pick up ?
    Was the el. winch already on board or did you buy/fit ?
    Also ,
    I keep breaking whatever I use to attach my headboard to the mast track , what do you use ?

Note on the rubbing strips inboard on each bow , I had these but the mooring lines and anchor bridle kept pulling them off so they were changed for s/s angle with a soft radius for the lines to slip on .

time to go sailing ....

Hi Geoff
    Thanks for your kind words, lets hope you are right about the interior .
    By the way always loved the Lightwave range, my favourite by far of all cats built down under, love to hear more about and how she performs as we don't have them over here.

Cheers
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Wow, I'm tired just reading the list and trying not to feel guilty / inadequate with my own maintenance efforts..
    She is looking great and you deserved better luck after all the hard work.
    I'm sure the interior will come up just as good as the exterior.
    Geoff.

Kim
    Sorry did not reply properly to your post,
    Quote " what did you do in the afternoon", well it was sunny so what else would you do???????
    Sat outside of the pub under a shading umbrella and drank pints of cold cider

Quote Originally Posted by kim s View Post
    ok so that took care of a morning, what did you do in the afternoon huh?????Kim

Hi Ian,

Good to see you back and great to meet you at the Multihull Show the other week.

Good luck with all the work. She'll look great!

All the best
    mark
    Last edited by Tiger Toes; 27th June 2011 at 09:14 PM.
    Mark

http://www.breakawaysailing.co.uk
    'Discover a different way to sail!'

Hi Mark
    Thanks, and likewise nice to meet you and have a good chat.
    Keep in touch.
    Cheers
    Ian

...Sat outside of the pub under a shading umbrella and drank pints of cold cider
    CIDER????

Either this is not the Ian I know or there must be some sort of a cultural gap here, because I just can't picture Ian sitting outside a pub drinking CIDER!

I don't think pubs in the US even serve cider!

The Ian I know would be drinking beer or ale!

Marshall

I know, we need Jeff's tongue-in-cheek smiley!
    "People sail for fun and no one has yet convinced me that it's more fun to go slow than it is to go fast." -- Dick Newick

Marshall
    Nice to see you back, will email you later.

A bit of a thread drift, but my views on cider and a couple of stories

Now, CIDER is a UK westcountry (Devon predominately then Somerset) drink and is much stronger than the huge influx of GROCKLES or EMMETS think it is, they think it is just strong apple juice :, silly buggers .

It is also as a rule stronger than beer.

Cider, if very dry, add a dash of lemonade, with ice it is a very refreshing drink especially in the summer, hence why I drink it during those times.

There are now available all over the UK in pubs several different draught ciders (much weaker than the Olde Scrumpy) some are very good some are crap.

Drinking too much of the rough stuff over a prelonged period of time can have some bad effects on your body, my first job was with Lloyds Bank in Buckfastleigh on the edge of Dartmoor, where I lodged at the age of 17 in the Globe Pub, in the evenings I would have 3 pints of local cider, a packet of 10 No 6 (cigarettes) and 2 goes on the pinball machine for 0.50p.

There were several locals many of them retired farmers who had drunk cider all their lives, some were blind (not blind drunk - well yes they were), some were missing limbs due to amputations and the rest just numb i.e the brains were pickled, so not very great conversational evenings.

Another episode with cider was when still in the bank, but having been transfered to Seaton by the sea in Devon, and sometimes with a good friend who had an Austin Healey 3000 (Gramos will appreciate this) we would do the cider run, this involved driving around to local farms, who made their own cider for their own consumption and armed with a half pint mug, - and with the farmers permission of course - dip your half pint mug into their open barrel of cider (normally in the barn) and drink some very strong cider, having removed the dead rats, bits of apple, straw and flies first

I could go on with little stories, but I am sure by this point my audience has probably faltered, so another day, plus I must do some work.

Quote Originally Posted by searenitysail View Post
    CIDER????

Either this is not the Ian I know or there must be some sort of a cultural gap here, because I just can't picture Ian sitting outside a pub drinking CIDER!

I don't think pubs in the US even serve cider!

The Ian I know would be drinking beer or ale!

Marshall

I know, we need Jeff's tongue-in-cheek smiley!

You would have thought the west-country rats would be up to it by now. The two legged ones are. What's wrong with them, apart from being dead?

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Marshall
    Nice to see you back, will email you later.
    Ian,

Not really back. Have been reading threads and posted as a diversion. An email would be nice. It is so much harder than I ever imagined.

The AH 3000 brought a smile. As seniors in High School, my friends Brian had a '58 Healey 3000, Gordon a Bug-Eye Sprite and I had a 1960 TR3. We were kind of outsiders as many of our classmates were into Mustangs, Camaros, GTOs, etc.

Marshall
    "People sail for fun and no one has yet convinced me that it's more fun to go slow than it is to go fast." -- Dick Newick

Marshall
    I had an Austin Healey sprite, not the frog eyed version.
    TR3, eh!, in good condition now it would be worth a small fortune

Quote Originally Posted by searenitysail View Post
    Ian,

Not really back. Have been reading threads and posted as a diversion. An email would be nice. It is so much harder than I ever imagined.

The AH 3000 brought a smile. As seniors in High School, my friends Brian had a '58 Healey 3000, Gordon a Bug-Eye Sprite and I had a 1960 TR3. We were kind of outsiders as many of our classmates were into Mustangs, Camaros, GTOs, etc.

Marshall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast