Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lagoon 37 Owners & Guest

Default Re: Lagoon 37 Owners & Guest

Balsa core is usually installed as "end grain" so that moisture can't wick laterally. You should be able to do a core replacement from the backside. It's a messy job but doable. Very few, if any, manufactures core out the balsa and fill with epoxy when installing hardware.
    Rick s/v Mai Tai 1995 L37 TPI

Quote Originally Posted by jwood1 View Post
    Another question. One of the boats I'm interested in (Lagoon 37 TPI) has some water intrusion into the core. Is the construction such that the individual blocks of balsa are sealed so that the water cannot go very far, or can the water freely travel through the balsa over long distances? In other words, how easy is it to repair? If the water can only travel a short distance, then it should be relatively easy to open up that area, let it dry out, and repair.

Has anyone done this type of repair?

Thanks
    Jerry

Balsa core is usually installed as "end grain" so that moisture can't wick laterally. You should be able to do a core replacement from the backside. It's a messy job but doable. Very few, if any, manufactures core out the balsa and fill with epoxy when installing hardware.
    Rick s/v Mai Tai 1995 L37 TPI

Quote Originally Posted by jwood1 View Post
    Another question. One of the boats I'm interested in (Lagoon 37 TPI) has some water intrusion into the core. Is the construction such that the individual blocks of balsa are sealed so that the water cannot go very far, or can the water freely travel through the balsa over long distances? In other words, how easy is it to repair? If the water can only travel a short distance, then it should be relatively easy to open up that area, let it dry out, and repair.

Has anyone done this type of repair?

Thanks
    Jerry

Oregon, USA until I retire and we sail away

The TPI Lagoons were probably among the best-built cats ever and in the ones I investigates when I was looking last year, moisture intrusion was generally around aftermarket add-ons. The TPI Lagoons used the Scrimp method originally developed by TPI to build Jboats. The resin is vacuumed through the full layup of glass and core with an end result of being a monocoque structure. They get optimum layup by controlling injection points and resin flow, unlike hand layup where you will get resin rich and lean spots as well as some secondary bonding in areas that had cured resin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12