Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: seawind 24 hard decks

Default seawind 24 hard decks

Hello to all, I'm looking for any information (ideas) and pictures of building and the installation of aft hard decks on a seawind 24. I'm planning on setting it up for an extended cruise, any help is much appriciated.

Default Re: seawind 24 hard decks

Welcome duane452, sorry I can't help with your request, but I am puzzled - what are 'aft hard decks' please?

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Mine are simple 3/8" marine ply covered in outdoor carpeting, screwed to boltrope track from rear beam to mast beam, came with boat from PO. They have held up for 5 years, almost time to replace.
    Where are you located? I'm in Houston TX area.
    Jay

Mike, the Seawind 24 came with three tramps, front, from mast beam to front beam between the hulls, two rear tramps from rear beam to mast beam between hulls seperated by motor "housing", fiberglass pod that the outboard mounts to and holds gas can and battery. It was a weight saving feature, but made for a very wet ride. Mine has always had rear hard deck and when it is time I will replace them. I've seen them made out of everything from aluminum to some type of fiberglass covered foam. Good examples can be seen on "themultihull.com" website if it still active, I have not been able to log on to that site for some time.
    Jay

Thank-you!

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Thanks for the info, I've tried finding that website but hit a dead end. I'm located in northeast north carolina, once I'm done rebuilding my seawind I will be sailing the chesapeake bay and the sounds of north carolina. I think I'm going to try foam core and glass for my hard decks, to try and keep the weight down. Is it possible you might have some pictures of your hard deck set up that you can post? Thanks for any help.

Duane

Sadly I do not have any detailed pics, or computer savy, ( I don't even own a personal computer), but I'm about to pull Hongoose for a bottom job and some of the mods I've "intended" to do since I aquired her. I do own a digital camara and will try to get some pics to post.
    It is a shame that themultihull.com is defunct, there were hundreds of pics and fourm threads pertaining to the Seawind 24.
    But my hard decks are pretty straight forward construction, in fact they looked to be "eyeballed" as far as the dimensions, and they are simply screwed with stainless coarse threaded screws to the boltrope tracks along the hulls and middle pod. Then they lay on top of the rear and middle beams. this allows for flexing.
    I would guess that both sheets togather with carpeting weigh 40-50 lbs. dry, I bought her for cruising and camping more than racing. Though I have done many extended runs of 15-18 knts. in the right conditions, its a wet white knukle ride since I do 95% of my trips single handed. Three years ago I did a 500 mile round trip over six days and averaged 10 knts. And she was loaded to the hilt, generator, stereo, barbeque, cook stove, ice chests, BEER, and food. I only had to replenish ice once during the trip. The only down side to that trip was I broke my auto tiller the first day out and had to hand steer all six days.
    Sorry for the long ramble, not many people to converse with around here about my beloved Hongoose Maru.
    Jay

Jay I thought that was the site I used to visit when I first bought my cat 4 years ago. Unfurtunately I'm just now getting to a point wereIcan work on it, I was only able to sail it 2 times before I had to put her on the trailer and store it at my house. But the first time I sailed her I was able to reach 16.5 knots on my GPS, neadlesly to say I was hooked on the boat. I've installed 1 eyeball port in each hull and am in the process of installing a 12x12 hatch in each hull. Me and a freind are planning a 3 to 6 month cruise on her when I get the work finished. I feel your pain not having anyone local to talk boats with, I will try to upload pictures of my progress over time. Thanks for your time, if you come across any more info let me no I will do the same.

Duane

Hey guys,
    Im looking at a Seawind 24 and may purchase this weekend. It looks as if I will be building the aft solid decks as well. If anyone has pictures as of yet and interior shots Id love to check them out. I am buying this boat from out of town and sight unseen except for some photos, but its such a good price its worth the gamble. Let me know if you can send or post any photos.
    Many thanks,
    Todd
    Long Island, NY

There is a product called pultruded fiberglass. It is made for applications like this. I saw it on a day charter cat. It beats the stink out of those teak shower grates too. Last a really long time. Google it, lots of manufacturers.
    BOB
    Going to the shrink 2 days in a row is making me crazy.

Todd, I recently saw a Seawind 24 for sale in a southern state, (don't want to give away your deal), is this the one your looking at?
    Jay

Jay, exactly the one shhh!! I am making the deal this weekend. and sooo excited.
    Todd

Sorry Todd, but I'm jealouse because I paid almost three time that for mine. Hope everything pans out, and you enjoy it as much as I have mine.
    Jay

I say lightest strongest is 5/06 thk okume with 2 coats laminating epoxy-- dont need FG cloth then paint with home depot house paint-fasten with ss into track as guy before says

5/16 if cant get okume -use marine tech plywood

I used 9mm marine ply, nothing special, got rid of the bolt rope extrusions, they weight A LOT for what they are and they impede drainage and crap collects near the hull if drainage is bad. I replaced them with a series of 50mm long 25mm x 3mm thick right angle aluminum brackets that are spaced @ around 300mm. The hard deck itself slots into the mast beam and ends just short of the aft beam. The tail end has a 50mm x 20mm reinforcing 'fence' and is not connected to the aft beam. The bottom of the decks are stiffened with 9mm x 50mm webs @ around 300mm spacing that are cut 4.5mm into the deck. The whole lot is covered in two coats of epoxy. I is riveted to the brackets with 3/16" alloy rivets, two per bracket. Drill the holes to rivet BEFORE you epoxy and be sure to saturate them, just fill and re-drill them! It was a little wobbley at first but as the epoxy properly hardened over the first year they have stiffened nicely. You'd not htink that would matter that much... it does, it seems! I painted the whole lot with water based exterior paint and put some non slip in the top side lot.

If I where doing it again I would...

1. Do a sugar deck on the last coat of epoxy rather than used a paint non slip... under whelmed with that result. In fact I will do this next time the decks come off for paint.

2. Cut the the 50mm x 9mm webs on a 45 degree angle so that no grain is 90 degrees to the deck ---> stiffer!

That is about it!

The deck sits about 5mm from the hulls so drainage is good, NO SLIME! The only down side is that the occasional wave can work its way up between there when sailing and surprise the helmsman. We typically leave a towel or deck cushion over the crack when it is choppy and hey it is a Seawind 24, it is not like you are going to stay dry anyway!
    Attached Images Attached Images

PS> I think it would be possible to go to 6mm ply if you get the good stuff AND engineer the webs and brackets correctly. I replaced 12mm decks and they where FAR to heavy, even if you are cruising these boat are sensative to weight so the lighter the better!

If you have lots of dollars I would use 15mm Polycore (Nidaplast?!) with 600 gsm 600 GSM Biaxial Fiberglass and epoxy. That is light, stiff and durable best of all worlds.

Jay,
    Bought the boat and a new proud owner of a seawind 24 arriving in 2weeks. Cant stop smiling especialy the price paid. Wink.
    First job, rebuild the hard decks. Thanks everyone for the insight and photos.

Im not sure if i should get off topic but i havnt seen anywhere else to chat with other s24 owners. People mention keeping the weight down. despite sailing gear and weekend supplys does the boat sail that low in the water that is such a wet ride as people mention, im curious if my wife is going to be soaked and unhappy. Though she will be sailing flat and fast without spilling the glass of wine.
    Or is the performance affected that much by some added gear.
    Thanks,
    Todd

Todd,

The boat is a Jekyll and Hyde character, sub say 12 knots of wind and you stay dry and sail at a moderate pace with champers flutes all upright. Getting past 15 knots and staying dry is a little harder, point of sail, sea state etc make the difference. Over 20 knots of breeze and it is getting a little exciting and a fair bit wetter.... pushing 30 knots and you might as well be sitting in a front loading washing machine

It will all depend of the stretch of water you sail etc etc but yes staying dry can sometimes be a challenge ---> dress for it! That said you can take her out with just a headsail if you want sedate and dry and all will be well with the wife.

With many people on board you want light conditions or just the headsail. I find that in a blow it is most practical as a two person boat, mainly due to the low boom, headsail sheeting arrangement and the lack of sitting space in the only dry spot ---> windward cockpit area (2 people max!)

I am thinking about modifying the boat to improve that aspect for my new family but I have not got there yet.

Weight is critical, they will handle better and generally preform better with a lighter load, this goes for any multi! Take the light option where you can and keep the weight out of the end's, especially the bows. This should also keep you dryer but maybe not alot

Congrats Todd, I have removable seats directly behind the cabins, with biminis over each. Mine has a bolt rope track across the top of each cabin that lets you install a isine glass "windshield", these keep me dry and warm in most all conditions. Mine also has a bolt rope track on the inside of each hull in front of the front cross beam. I think these are for small canvas "spray panels", I've seen pictures of seawinds with these fitted on the old website "multihulls.com". (which I believe is now defuct)
    Jay

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast