Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Wavepiercing Bows on Catamarans

Default Re: Wavepiercing Bows on Catamarans

Quote Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
    Its certainly way easier to add at the sterns. But unfortunately for me, I want buoyancy forward. I am a long way off yet, but I finally acquired the lines plans so I can at least start on a possible design solution. I will probably fair back a little further than on burnout, and also reduce rocker at the front which should gain a decent amount of buoyancy too. I am not worried if it tacks slower. The other positives effects are more important to me than a slower tack. Ending up with a fair result without a lot of work and weight wont be easy.

Currently my waterplane in the bows is dead straight (at least by eye) for about 1/3 of the boat. Above the waterline it is concave like a destroyer for increased reserve buoyancy. Apparently Crowthers hull shapes were strongly influenced by testing done on long narrow destroyer type hulls.
    If the boat to be altered does not have a very fine bow, I have another idea for a forward extension - add a T structure of solid glass, the top of the T against the bows, the base of it extending forward. Fill the T with high density foam, microballoons, resin and a bit of thin +45 -45 uni over the fairing stuff. Not much volume for buoyancy - but making it stick out well forward could make up in leverage what you lose in volume.
    Currently concentrating on http://earthnurture.com .

My design follows on from "Victorinox" and the Norwegian cat in my original posting and has been intuitively, following the bow shape of the original bows. The main reason has been to do something about the bow wave which was rising up my (in my view too blunt) bows. I haven't had the chance yet to check out the modification's effect when sailing. But together with stern extensions which I've also had fitted the water line is now about 10 % longer.
    Roger

------------------
    I look to the future, because that's where I am going to spend the rest of my life - George Burns

Well done mh6 , great to see you just "did it "
    they look very neat .
    good to see forumites just getting on with it .
    I didn,t get where I am today by being somewhere else !

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456