Thread: Money saving tip for interior LED lighting

Default Money saving tip for interior LED lighting

Well, its that time of year again, so I went to buy some fairy lights to put on the outside of the boat. I was taken by a set that used all LEDs instead of weak and troublesome bulbs and was very pleased. Then it hit me, why not get a plain white set ot use as interior lighting?

So, I went back and got a 100 LED pure white set and installed them under the edge of the headlining on the wheelhouse roof and have to say, am VERY chuffed with the result!

It seems to be a fashon to move to LEDs these days but the 'proper' interior lighting systems i've seen so far seem to be pretty expensive, even a standard LED bulb running double digits so to get 100 LEDs for under 18Euros is a bargain and i've also got the facility to have them flashing if i'm having party!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Proud owner of a 1994 Catalac 900

Default Re: Money saving tip for interior LED lighting

Good idea. I might get myself some - in the Xmas sales!

Quote Originally Posted by pir8ped View Post
    Good idea. I might get myself some - in the Xmas sales!
    Looks good from the picture.

I decided to try some #922 LED lights from eBay for my salon dome lights at $1 US each, including shipping. I figured it was worth giving up a couple of beers to try, since that is about what it cost me.

Should have bought the beer. Lights were too dim.

Marshall
    "People sail for fun and no one has yet convinced me that it's more fun to go slow than it is to go fast." -- Dick Newick

Marshall. How to fix.. Buy 4 beer - drink 1 - package up 'LED's - drink 2nd beer -- post back for briter 1's - drink 3rd beeeer, smile - in the dim or dark - in real time or drinnk timeee - dreenk 4thh beerrr & relax - eat dinnnner & go tooo beddd. Enjoy - Problem fisssed. Ciao, james

I am sure this has come up beforebut i a cant find it

you do have to becarefull with led lights

if they are the cheep ones from china etc, they are rated at 12v.
    when the engine is on or shore power is on, then your batts volts are as high as 14v.
    they fail very quickly.
    there seams to be 2 ways of driving the led.
    1 resister to drop the voltage
    resister is set for 12v.so when charging,the volts go over that and the led fails fairly quickly and also resister gets hotter to dissipate the extra power.I dont think to a fire hazard, but must be aware

or 2) chip to give constant voltage.

I have the 2nd type. the driver is on the wafer board so still self contained. it takes voltage up to 20v in
    so,there are up to 30v for you guys with 24v boats.

THE DOWN SIDE OF TYPE 2

the electrical noise from the driver units knockes out my gps as its integral aerial.

my mates boat looses the navtex

so be aware, not uite the Holy Grail yet

there is type 3 which I am going to try.
    1 central driver unit. regulated output mounted in a metal earth shield. this will go behind the fuse panel.

the down side is if it pops then no lights. and cant mix and match standard halogens with led on the lighting circuit

best of all I will resort to my Gypsy moth Oil lamp

Kim
    just a scared rabbit in the headlights of life

This is probably one of the main reasons that my 'money saving idea' works. They are NOT marine or dedicated 12/24v lights, they are for the domestic Christmas decoration market and plug into mains AC power, using their own little transformer to change to a constant 24v DC for the actual LEDs.

Therefore, the LEDs are kept at the correct constant voltage and the power draw is still small enough to be run off a small inverter when not on shore power.
    Proud owner of a 1994 Catalac 900

Quote Originally Posted by kim s View Post
    or 2) chip to give constant voltage.

I have the 2nd type. the driver is on the wafer board so still self contained. it takes voltage up to 20v in
    so,there are up to 30v for you guys with 24v boats.

THE DOWN SIDE OF TYPE 2

the electrical noise from the driver units knockes out my gps as its integral aerial.

Kim
    Can always use individual linear 12 V regulators such as an LM7812. Too long since i used 1 but i think they only need a volt or so above the required voltage. No noise from them.

Mike

Kim,
    Thanks for the lesson.

Marshall
    "People sail for fun and no one has yet convinced me that it's more fun to go slow than it is to go fast." -- Dick Newick

I had a new 60 foot poet boater which had a fault - when you turned up the dimmer on the LED lights the boat went faster - it actually controlled the throttle!!
    Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

We brought some LED Christmas lights this year for the garden that are solar powered. They would be ideal to use on board!
    A friend of mine once brought a job lot of garden solar lights and striped them down and used the lights in every cupboard on board. He extended the wires and put the small solar panels in the wheelhouse. Free light in every nook and cranny

We had a couple strands of solar powered Christmas lights. They only lasted a year or two, but were a big hit with us and our friends while in the Sea of Cortez last winter.

We also have about a dozen garden solar lights as well (which we paid US$3-5 for each) which we spread all around on deck at night for additional safety. We use them inside as flameless candles too - they work great!

Quote Originally Posted by scotte View Post
    ...We also have about a dozen garden solar lights as well (which we paid US$3-5 for each) which we spread all around on deck at night for additional safety. We use them inside as flameless candles too - they work great!
    I use them as well; I am not confident that another boat on the move at night is necessarily looking up for my masthead anchor light, so I use them while at anchor.

They are easily mounted to the stanchion, and easily removed for storage, using Marinco shore power cord clips.

Marshall

BTW, I'm thinking this might be helpful somewhere else as a forum suggestion, not buried in this thread. Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by searenitysail; 12th December 2011 at 01:44 AM.