Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55

Thread: Hull Extensions

  1. #21

    Default Re: Hull Extensions PDQ 36 extension on Pacifica

    Brad: Pacifica, a PDQ 36 was extended from 36' to 39' by the owner. Attached is the URL to Pacifica's blog detailing the entire 50 day transom extension project. Comprehensive photographic documentation, complete cost accounting and wonderful execution. Pacifica`s URL: http://www.pdq36.blogspot.com/search...max-results=50 Regards, Mark

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West Central Florida
    Posts
    970

    Default Re: Hull Extensions

    Quote Originally Posted by smj View Post
    Yes, the boat definitely has a smoother ride. A lot less tendency to pitch or hobbyhorse. Also gained speed and the ability to surf waves better, which could be good and bad.
    Didn't Seawind incorporate that in it's boats?

  3. #23

    Default Re: Hull Extensions

    Quote Originally Posted by therapy View Post
    Didn't Seawind incorporate that in it's boats?
    Yes they did.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Hull Extensions

    Right. The Seawind 1000 became the 1000XL. Some owners did it on their own first and then Seawind copied this. It is now 10.85 meters. Maybe it should be called the 1085XL. lol It's been covered in Cruisers Forum.
    http://www.seawindcats.com/index.pl?page=12
    So, if you read this link you will notice a reference to Corsair who used to build excellent tris in the US and is now in frickin Vietnam. Are these 1000XLs made in Nam? BOB

  5. #25

    Default Re: Hull Extensions

    I'm pretty sure the Seawinds are still built in Australia.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.
    Posts
    675

    Default Re: Hull Extensions

    Thanks Mark, that was a very helpful link to the extensions on the PDQ 36. Interesting how a similar thread I started on CF resulted in virtually nothing but negativity: Catty suggested that the extensions would be dangerous, that they would add less buoyancy than weight and yet simultaneously suggesting that the increased buoyancy aft would cause the boat to pitchpole in extreme conditions; others suggested that instead I should dramtically reduce weight and tear out my interior and replace all bulkheads with composite panels; or, that I needed to hire an naval architect to determine if the extensions (or if raising the transoms out of the water) would improve performance, or cause instability etc., etc.

    Brad

  7. #27

    Default Re: Hull Extensions

    See my new thread in Cruisers Forum about Seawind moving most of their production to Vietnam. Sad really. BOB

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    58

    Default Re: Hull Extensions

    regarding gelcoat on epoxy - male mould version - I've had good luck/adhesion in paying attention to West Systems advice.

    Basically - ensure the epoxy is fully cured. An elevated post temp cure can speed this up - otherwise, wait a few days at good curing temps.

    You need to get all amine blush out. It's water soluble, so fresh water, and then an acetone or thinner wipe down, lots of clean cloth with no soap residues.

    Give the surface a lot of tooth. 80 grit as fine as you can go

    apply gelcoat, sand and buff.


    Works fine - it's all in the prep.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Hull Extensions

    An excellent way to avoid amine blush, and to save on lots of prep work prior to fairing, (ie, getting a clean textured surface bog will stick to) is to use peelply when doing the layup.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    currently Columbia/Panama
    Posts
    352

    Default Re: Hull Extensions

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    regarding gelcoat on epoxy - male mould version - I've had good luck/adhesion in paying attention to West Systems advice.

    Basically - ensure the epoxy is fully cured. An elevated post temp cure can speed this up - otherwise, wait a few days at good curing temps.

    You need to get all amine blush out. It's water soluble, so fresh water, and then an acetone or thinner wipe down, lots of clean cloth with no soap residues.

    Give the surface a lot of tooth. 80 grit as fine as you can go

    apply gelcoat, sand and buff.


    Works fine - it's all in the prep.
    Yes, I've gelcoated epoxy using this approach. Works fine. You could also use vinyl ester, which retains polyester's easiness and forgivingness to work with and approaches the strength and secondary bonding characteristics of epoxy.

    Mark
    Mark Cole
    Manta 40 "Reach"
    www.svreach.com

  11. #31

    Default Re: Hull Extensions -- Light Wave Gypsy 28 catamaran

    Brad: I'm glad you are able to obtain some useful information on this thread. Too often the Nattering Naybobs of Negativity dominate, generating much heat but shedding little light on the subject under discussion. Light Wave is a Woods Gypsy 28 catamaran that was lengthened by the builder / owner. This 4 foot transom extension is well documented on Light Wave's blog: http://www.time-for-a-catamaran-adve...then-hull.html Regards, Mark

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Posts
    1,154

    Default Re: Hull Extensions

    Quote Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
    Right. The Seawind 1000 became the 1000XL. Some owners did it on their own first and then Seawind copied this. It is now 10.85 meters. Maybe it should be called the 1085XL. lol It's been covered in Cruisers Forum.
    http://www.seawindcats.com/index.pl?page=12
    So, if you read this link you will notice a reference to Corsair who used to build excellent tris in the US and is now in frickin Vietnam. Are these 1000XLs made in Nam? BOB
    Corsairs have been built in Vietnam for a number of years. Its one of the reasons seawind purchased the Corsair business, in doing so we got a state of the art factory that was making high quality high speed trimarans, including all carbon boats.

    The 1000XL is made in Vietnam, containered to Australia and assembled here. The 1160 fully built in Vietnam and shipped here and the 1250 remains totally built in Australia.

    I can advise that our 2012 pricing is in $299k for the 1000xl2, $499K for the 1160 Both those are delivered on water in Sydney Australia. The 1250 Platinum will be launched tomorrow at the Melbourne Boat show for $650,000. The 1250 Platinum is to our knowledge the only production cat in the world that will come standard with watermakers, twin helms AND twin engine control systems, (control engine at each helm) State of the art Raymarine 1 series electronics pentex performance sails to name just a few items.

    All prices Aus dollars and include all taxes including GST. I didn't want this to sound like an ad, but there has been much discussion about the Vietnam move and I think its worth seeing what that has done for us.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Great South Bay, Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    789

    Default Re: Hull Extensions -- Light Wave Gypsy 28 catamaran

    Quote Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
    ...Light Wave is a Woods Gypsy 28 catamaran that was lengthened by the builder / owner. This 4 foot transom extension is well documented on Light Wave's blog: http://www.time-for-a-catamaran-adve...then-hull.html Regards, Mark
    The modifications to Light Wave (besides the transom extensions) were also documented in a number of articles in Multihulls Magazine a couple of years ago. It was very interesting reading, and evidently the modifications were quite successful.

    Marshall
    "People sail for fun and no one has yet convinced me that it's more fun to go slow than it is to go fast." -- Dick Newick

  14. #34

    Default Re: Hull Extensions

    I was looking into Corsairs and used F-boat trisa couple years ago, when I started getting serious about this, and in the process contacted the Farrier folks. They are not big fans of the Vietnam yard. At least, they weren't when I asked about it at the time.
    Tropical island life in the Devil's Triangle.
    http://2gringos.blogspot.com/

  15. #35

    Default Re: Hull Extensions

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozmultis View Post
    Corsairs have been built in Vietnam for a number of years. Its one of the reasons seawind purchased the Corsair business, in doing so we got a state of the art factory that was making high quality high speed trimarans, including all carbon boats.

    The 1000XL is made in Vietnam, containered to Australia and assembled here. The 1160 fully built in Vietnam and shipped here and the 1250 remains totally built in Australia.

    I can advise that our 2012 pricing is in $299k for the 1000xl2, $499K for the 1160 Both those are delivered on water in Sydney Australia. The 1250 Platinum will be launched tomorrow at the Melbourne Boat show for $650,000. The 1250 Platinum is to our knowledge the only production cat in the world that will come standard with watermakers, twin helms AND twin engine control systems, (control engine at each helm) State of the art Raymarine 1 series electronics pentex performance sails to name just a few items.

    All prices Aus dollars and include all taxes including GST. I didn't want this to sound like an ad, but there has been much discussion about the Vietnam move and I think its worth seeing what that has done for us.
    They're pretty substantial price reductions aren't they? I seem to remember 1160's being closer to $6-700k, or am I mistaken?

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mackay,QLD, Australia
    Posts
    349

    Default Re: Hull Extensions -- Light Wave Gypsy 28 catamaran

    Quote Originally Posted by searenitysail View Post
    The modifications to Light Wave (besides the transom extensions) were also documented in a number of articles in Multihulls Magazine a couple of years ago. It was very interesting reading, and evidently the modifications were quite successful.

    Marshall
    The Lightwave motor 46 sailer simply has a flatter hull extension glassed on to the standard 45 hull. Simple.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Posts
    1,154

    Default Re: Hull Extensions

    Quote Originally Posted by 44C View Post
    They're pretty substantial price reductions aren't they? I seem to remember 1160's being closer to $6-700k, or am I mistaken?
    Yep great value - buy one

  18. #38

    Default Re: Hull Extensions

    LOL! Still more money than I have!

    Met a couple with an 1160 called "Champagne on Ice". Ex charter boat.

    We took them for a sail on our boat, pretty windy, 20-25kts in Lake Macquarie.

    2 reefs in the main, couple of turns out of the jib, we hit 11 knots at 30 degrees apparent.

    He just kept shaking his head....

    They had bigger cabins than us though. That master cabin is very nice.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Hull Extensions

    Brad: A recently completed Transom Extension project on the Manta 40 catamaran 'Reach'. Embedded in their exquisitely detailed posts are: design weights, estimated buoyancy enhancement, fiberglass layup schedule, schematic diagrams, trials & tribulations.

    Also included are great photographs of the entire process.

    Their posts are as follows:

    Design Phase: http://www.svreach.com/boat-blog/design-phase.html

    Stern Extensions - Phase I: http://www.svreach.com/boat-blog/ste...--phase-i.html

    Steps: http://www.svreach.com/boat-blog/steps.html

    The Mold: http://www.svreach.com/boat-blog/steps.html

    Stern Extensions - Phase II: http://www.svreach.com/boat-blog/ste...-phase-ii.html

    Nidacore: http://www.svreach.com/boat-blog/nidacore.html

    Stern Extensions - Phase III: http://www.svreach.com/boat-blog/ste...s---phase.html

    Fill & Fair: http://www.svreach.com/boat-blog/fill--fair.html

    ... And repeat: http://www.svreach.com/boat-blog/and-repeat.html

    Manta 42.25: http://www.svreach.com/boat-blog/manta-4225.html

    Finishing Touches: http://www.svreach.com/boat-blog/finishing-touches.html

    Regards, Mark

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.
    Posts
    675

    Default Re: Hull Extensions

    Thanks Mark - and you are right, very impressive documentation of a job well done!

    Brad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •