Thread: Fastcat 305VK/Rayvin 30

Question Fastcat 305VK/Rayvin 30

Just sold my monohull (1974 Bowman 40) and now want to purchase a catamaran. I am off to Amsterdam in January to view a Fastcat 305. Can anyone give me advice and information on this boat. Tony

Default Re: Fastcat 305VK/Rayvin 30

Welcome here. It is a big jump from a Bowman to something like a Fast Cat.

I think the general concensus here is Be Very Wary Indeed.

If you do a search on Fast Cats in the headings here, you will get a lot of information.

You might care to send a Private Message to Karen. She and her husband have one.

You will get a sooth entirely plausible explanation in Amsterdam, or so I have been led to believe. BEWARE.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Hi Mike, yes it is a big jump, I am looking for a smaller catamaran, for its versatility. Ability to take the ground, no dreaded roll at anchor, twin engines gives added safety, and the potential to make fast passages, also light weight so it is more service friendly.I have met an owner of a Raven 30 who was very pleased with their boat. Tony

The Fastcat 30 is actually a Rayvin 30. The Rayvin is an awesome design and very capable. I know the one owner had his sailed from Cape Town to Australia. The skipper had just delivered a Lagoon 500 and said he was doing much better daily averages with the Rayvin. I am not sure how the Rayvin becomes a Fastcat (Maybe a bit like the St francis 50 becomes a Fastcat 50). I am not sure how that one was built, no doubt it will be claimed it is superlight. It has been for sale for a long time so check it out carefully. I was sad to see Rayvin disappear as it was an awesome boat.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrack View Post
    It has been for sale for a long time so check it out carefully.
    Indeed. It was sitting in Ijmuiden Marina when we went to test sail the FastCat 435. That was back in 2006 and it was for sale then.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Indeed. It was sitting in Ijmuiden Marina when we went to test sail the FastCat 435. That was back in 2006 and it was for sale then.
    If I remember correctly back in 2006 "Rayvin Boats" (or whatever they were called legally in SA) in Durban were still in operation then (Paul Rack - my timing?), so if this is the same boat Karen saw and Tony wants to view it would make her an original Rayvin 30. I believe Fastcats bought up the moulds when "Rayvin Boats" went bust.

That said, I think the original Rayvins are good and safe cruising boats with lots of room for the size. I went aboard one in Cape Town before she set sail for the Caribbean and then met the boat and owners in Falmouth, UK - the owners reported happy sailing on this long trip. I do think though that the bridgedeck clearance is on the low side.
    Roger

------------------
    I look to the future, because that's where I am going to spend the rest of my life - George Burns

Gideon Goudsmit has been an expensive acquaintance for practically all those who have bought a boat from him. Check out the boat and then go and find another one if you like the design.

I think that this is an original Rayvin that has been rechristened as a Fastcat. The CE certificate should state who built it - ask for a copy

I personally wouldn't have any dealings with Gideon, who is a master of the "half-truth" and a has been proven a liar on many occasions.

Alan

When Rayvin went under the moulds were bought by another outfit (I think Prout or Proud, they did not survive either.) I think they built a couple from the moulds, I saw one in Durban and the quality was not great. They are great boats however, if your heart is set on one I would heed Nordics advice.