Thread: Jiggler siphon device

Oregon, USA until I retire and we sail away

Default Jiggler siphon device

For fuel transfer or other liquids, check out the jiggler siphon device. It's available from auto parts stores, or just google "jiggler siphon". Of course, being a siphon, the receiving tank must be below the source, but you might also be able to use it to get a pump primed more easily.

I learned of this from the Slapdash blog (my favorite cruiser blog).
    "The Jiggler fuel transfer device is just a little siphon hose with a brass
    fitting on one end that has a ball valve on it. You drop the hose into your jerry can, put the other end in your tank and start jiggling. The ball valve is one-way so it draws fuel up the line and starts the siphon."

- Rusty

Default Re: Jiggler siphon device

Yes, I have one and it works well.

There is a knack in using it, you have to get the rate and amplitude of the pumping up and down action of the 'jiggle' just right. This can cause some very strange looks when you are doing it! :w)

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Hmm you are right, especially when the little ball sticks in the end and it does not siphon. It does siphon slower than a normal pipe, but that is a small tradeoff compared to the raste of diesel. The advantage is if you get in in the corner of the Jerry can it virtually sucks up the last drop.

Hi,
    Jiggler thing? I bought one of those at the NYC Boat Show 30 years ago when we needed to get fuel from where ever, never used it, found it in my cellar rusted out a few years ago. Luckily I know some really smart guys who laughed at me when I sucked, no pun intended, and got a mouthful of diesel. He took a long hose, put it to the bottom of the jerry can and the other end into the tank, then he took a short piece of hose (12" U.S) and held it into the neck of the gerry can with a rag, paper towels work too, wrapped around the hoses (both) and extra stuffing the holes. He said to blow into the short hose hard. Wow, positive pressure pushed the fuel into the long hose into the tank and started the syphon. Boy, what will they think of next? No gadgets!!! Oh I forgot, if you are a really big blowhard you can use a really big hose. OOPs, I mean, If you can blow hard............