Thread: What do you use to keep barnacles off your props?

Default What do you use to keep barnacles off your props?

I wish I could keep my propellers looking like this all of the time!

Unfortunately, when they go in looking like this the come out barnacle encrusted.

So I tried Pettit Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier. Sprays on easy, which is a big plus. It is battleship grey, which is no big deal since it is underwater.

But when we pulled the boat at the end of the season, I still had barnacles on the props and stainless shafts. While they scraped off fairly easy, I had to spend a couple of hours wire brushing the barnacle remains and the old grey paint.

Admittedly, it was a horrible year for barnacles on Great South Bay, but my SeaHawk Cukote Biocide paint did real well--nothing on it!

Has anyone got a better way?

Marshall
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "People sail for fun and no one has yet convinced me that it's more fun to go slow than it is to go fast." -- Dick Newick

Default Re: What do you use to keep barnacles off your props?

Prop Speed works very well and if often used here in the yard at Ft Lauderdale. Used it a few times, that is I had the bottom painting subcontractor do it, on my Max Props. Is relatively expensive and care needs to paint it on carefully following instructions.
    Without a coating of some kind; nothing beats getting in the water and scrubbing every once in a while.

I'm sorry to say PropSpeed was singularly useless here in the Caribbean. We had high hopes of it, but wished we'd saved the money.

As an aside, there is genuine talk on the sailing net advocating ... wait for it ... indelible marker pen! Some pals of ours tried it, thinking what the heck, at least it won't break the bank; sadly it didn't break the barnacle infestation they soon acquired, either!

We're still looking for a magic fix, but in the meantime, it's that old tried and trusted remedy of scrub, scrub, scrub.

"Without a coating of some kind; nothing beats getting in the water and scrubbing every once in a while."

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post

We're still looking for a magic fix, but in the meantime, it's that old tried and trusted remedy of scrub, scrub, scrub.
    It must be nice to be in warm clear water without a strong tidal current!
    :w)

And, yes, I am jealous!

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

One of the reasons (many) that I love my outboard powered boat. Props are always spotless

Some friends in Thailand got about a week out of their Propspeed. Since I was planning on removing the props a few weeks after my last haulout I gave Lanolin a try. After a couple hours of motoring it was all gone. It's back to bottom paint for me.

Oregon, USA until I retire and we sail away

Has anyone ever tried teflon coating?
    Unfortunately limited to stainless props.

The www.precisioncoating.com FAQ says,
    "The best substrates to coat are virgin stainless steel, steel and aluminum. In addition most other metallic substrates are compatible however more easily oxidized metals such as copper, brass and zinc are poor choices. In addition cast or plated alloys can cost you a variety of problems that hinder proper coating of parts."

- Rusty

We love our hydrolic lifting outdrive, our prop may get a little bird poop on it but no growth.

The power tilt button.

Quote Originally Posted by 44C View Post
    The power tilt button.
    Show off - I have to lift mine manually

SOS Pads

MORE THROTTLE!!!!

I put plastic bags (heavy duty sand bags) over the props and saildrive when not in use. I secure the top of bag with light line. When I take the bags off the props and sail drive are clean.

I tried regular heavy duty garbage bags, but they shredded due to fish grazing on the growth on the bags. Sand bags have polyester threads through them and resist the grazers.

I've heard that surfboard wax on props works well too. I bought some, but haven't tried it yet. Anyone else try that?

Quote Originally Posted by svcattales View Post
    I put plastic bags (heavy duty sand bags) over the props and saildrive when not in use. I secure the top of bag with light line. When I take the bags off the props and sail drive are clean.

I tried regular heavy duty garbage bags, but they shredded due to fish grazing on the growth on the bags. Sand bags have polyester threads through them and resist the grazers.

I've heard that surfboard wax on props works well too. I bought some, but haven't tried it yet. Anyone else try that?
    Surfboard wax doesn't work - tried it.
    I confused though when I use the power lift to pull my sail drive out of the water the vbow of Ceil is about ten feet under... Thinking it's related to being permanently mounted? Hmmm
    “The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed, in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a wide-spread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible” B.Russell