Thread: Seawind 950?

Default Seawind 950?

Does anyone have the scoop on the new Seawind 950 more than what is on the their web page?

Default Re: Seawind 950?

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Does anyone have the scoop on the new Seawind 950 more than what is on the their web page?
    Welcome,

Wait a few minutes and Ozmultis just might have some information!

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Sorry - took more than a few minutes. Just woke up.

What do you want to know?

The idea behind the boat is to try and have an entry level cruising cat. In Australia there used to be a variation of the GBE that was not a bad boat, pretty well built and with a functional layout. Unfortunately that factory burnt down. So there has been a gap at the entry end of the production market.

The idea is that the boat is built off shore and shipped to you in two 40 foot containers. You then put it together. I will be offering an assembly service for those that don't want to bother. It will be launched at the Sanctuary cove Boat Show in May. The concept is for a strong and relatively simple boat under 10 metres, think original Seawind 1000 with a little less trim and luxury fittings. We are speccing the boat with two 9.9 Yamahas but I think two 8hp hi thrust Yamahas would do just fine.

The 9.9s are included as is all items you need to finish the boat and sail it away. All fittings are quality items, eg Spinlock, Ronstan etc.

Brand new delivered in Australia is $209K. I haven't seen one in the flesh yet
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Ozmultis! Wonder what the price will be for State Side customers?

Guess in "the flesh photos" will be forthcoming in May when the boat is unveiled at Sanctuary Cove.

Oregon, USA until I retire and we sail away

From what little is available, it looks really cool for coastal cruising.
    Please post detailed specs including clearance and capacities, and pics, or links thereto, when you can get them.

Thanks - Rusty

What I have so far

SPECIFICATIONS
    Overall Length 9.5 m / 31ft
    Draft 0.85 m / 2’7”
    Steering Single Helm Cable Steering
    Fuel 150 litres / 40 US Gallons
    Beam 5.8 m / 19ft
    Displacement 4.5 Ton / 7165lbs
    Motors 2 x 9.9hp Yamaha High Thrust Outboards
    Fresh Water 250 litres / 66 US Gallons

NO pics yet. Another month or so. I wont post a Bridgedeck Clearance number till I measure it myself.

Some initial specs from the initial spec sheet.

1. GENERAL: The overall finish of the Seawind 950 will be consistent with a luxury world-standard yacht of this size and type. Only very high quality equipment is used throughout The overall aim is for a level of construction, workmanship, equipment, fitout and style comparable to the best boats available in the market at this price range.

2. EXTERIOR/LAMINATE: Finish: Gelcoat finish with moulded-in non-slip surface on deck areas. Hull Laminate: Vinyl Ester resin is used in manufacture of the hulls for the fibreglass laminate between the gelcoat and the foam core.

3. HARDTOP: Fibreglass hardtop is fitted with fixed toughened glass side windows and forward opening toughened glass windows that open on gas struts. Aft drop curtain with combination zip & press stud closures.

4. MAST/BOOM/SAILS: • Clear Annodised Mast and Boom. • Single Spreader, 7/8 rig. • Standing Rigging - Forestay, 2 x Sidestays All fitted with Sealock turnbuckles and end fittings. • Hinged mast base to allow for lowering on boat. • Halyards – Main halyard - Jib halyard - Topping lift - Spinnaker Halyard • Boom outhaul. • 2 x mainsail single-line reefing lines fitted and lead back to the cockpit. • All halyards, reefing lines to be lead back to cockpit through turning blocks, rope clutches (Spinlock). • Sheet Winches: 2 x Harken ST40’s. • Fully battened mainsail. Luff adjustable batten end caps. Fibreglass sail battens. • Cruising mainsail cover with integrated lazy jack system. • Headsail. • Self-tacking headsail traveller track with hardware. • Mainsail batten sliders. • Boom cradle will be fitted on the hardtop.

5. DECK EQUIPMENT: • Hatches (8 in total)
    4 x Forward Hatches Aluminium frame 2 x Mid cabin hatches. 2 x Aft cabin hatches.
    • 4 x Mooring cleats. • 1 x Anchor cleats. • Mast base turning blocks RF 1350. • 8 x Rope clutches - Spinlock brand.. • Stanchions/Rails: High quality stanchions, bow rails and stern rails with 3 life-lines. 600mm high to meet Australian survey requirements.. • 2 x access gates with pelican hook releases. • 1 x manual bilge pump. (Survey boats have 3 manual pumps). • 2 x Padeyes mounted on each inboard bow for bowsprit retrofit.

6. CENTRE COCKPIT • Dining table: F/G in centre cockpit. Folds down to create double bed. • Upholstered saloon cushions and backrests.

7. FORWARD BEAM, CATWALK AND TRAMPOLINES: • Forward beam section 125 x 3mm. Painted. Adjustable pelican striker and cable. • 1 x Mooring rollers above foredeck. • 1 x Anchor roller under deck. Permanent stowage position for 35lb Plough (CQR type) anchor. (cheeks 75mm high). • Catwalk in foam-sandwich fibreglass. Supported by aluminium frame 100mm x 50mm.

8. AFT BEAM AND DECK: • Anodised aft beam. • Mainsail traveller track, traveller car and 3:1 traveller controls. • 8 to 1 Mainsail sheet system - Ronstan blocks.

9. RUDDER SYSTEM: • 1 X 26” stainless steel steering wheels. • Cable linked steering.

Me likey. Would work really well with the family (2 kids) - but with the 1000s on the market, hard to justify new unless I place her in a charter program. Which is an idea….

Oregon, USA until I retire and we sail away

Thanks Andrew,

Hope you can get pics or a viedo of the assembly and finish process.

- Rusty

At a weight of 4.5 tons (heavy as a 1000XL, a 36' cat), the 950 is not aimed at the same market as the GBE 29' Sportsdeck, a much slimmer boat.

Might have made a typo there - I think its actually 3.5 tonne. I will confirm soon. But even so - its not a GBE replacement merely a boat at about that price point.

Okay - its weighed in ready to sail from Woolongong to Brisbane at a whisker under 4 tonne. Thats with full fuel and water and food etc. Also fuel capacity is 105 litres not 150 as I listed earlier.

So far the boat is exceeding expectation, its about 3 hours north of sydney as I type this and the delivery skipper reckons is behaving impeccably. They came up from the factory at Woolongong to Sydney Harbour, sailed around and got some publicity shots and then left for Brisbane. In a few days time we should have photos and a 500 mile trip report. She tacks well tracks well sails nicely and is very comfortable.

What happened to the 950? Was it delay? Was it canceled? There is no additional information on the seawind website.