Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family Friendly coastal cruiser, with a bit of sailing chutzpah

Default Family Friendly coastal cruiser, with a bit of sailing chutzpah

Hi All - sold the Trimaran - so in the market for the Cat.

As my 6 year old says - she wants a real bed!

So - 3 berths, stand up shower, simple galley. Ability to carry 2 weeks of supplies, not a true Blue Water Cruiser. No need for 3 months of gear.- but able to sail to Mexico and/or Hawaii.

Ability to sail, and sail well (Dad's still going to race certain double handed races, including Ocean where, unfortunately, lives have been lost).

Budget is not unlimited. Let's say $120k all in, less is more as we all know.

Boats I'm currently looking at:

Tek 35
    Fidgi 39
    Seawind 1000

I'm not writing the Searunners off the list, but the lack of "internal gelcoat" surfaces is not looked upon fondly by the ladies. Dad's gotta compromise here I'm afraid.

Anyone sail a Fidgi? Looks like a charter cat before they got volume? The Tek doesn't have a solid bridge deck - would need a dodger structure but looks like they are meant to sail

Comments appreciated.

Default Re: Family Friendly coastal cruiser, with a bit of sailing chutzpah

If you want your family to come too, play down the "dad wants to race sometimes" element. They won't care about that but they will care about the lack of comfort that goes with it.

Whatever you get make sure the colours are good, the seats and beds comfortable, the galley is good. Also, that the boat's motion at sea is comfortable - some are not! You will need to orientate your thinking this sort of way I suggest!

All relatively modern boats will probably sail reasonably well.

Sorry that I am not answering your question, but I hope I am contributing to a successful purchase.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

A man who speaks the truth. I sold my beloved Trimaran in order to get something more girl friendly.

Your post says I want a Gemini. Or maybe this.
    http://www.multihullcompany.com/Cata...did_Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Hi All - sold the Trimaran - so in the market for the Cat.

As my 6 year old says - she wants a real bed!

So - 3 berths, stand up shower, simple galley. Ability to carry 2 weeks of supplies, not a true Blue Water Cruiser. No need for 3 months of gear.- but able to sail to Mexico and/or Hawaii.

Ability to sail, and sail well (Dad's still going to race certain double handed races, including Ocean where, unfortunately, lives have been lost).

Budget is not unlimited. Let's say $120k all in, less is more as we all know.

Boats I'm currently looking at:

Tek 35
    Fidgi 39
    Seawind 1000

I'm not writing the Searunners off the list, but the lack of "internal gelcoat" surfaces is not looked upon fondly by the ladies. Dad's gotta compromise here I'm afraid.

Anyone sail a Fidgi? Looks like a charter cat before they got volume? The Tek doesn't have a solid bridge deck - would need a dodger structure but looks like they are meant to sail

Comments appreciated.
    Gooday Mitch. For Sale in our own 'classifides' - Multihull Section - 5th down - - & it's in the right place for you to duck-over & sail it.
    35' Shuttleworth, asking $100K USD, NOW that has just got to be a serious proposition - go look at & sail - buy it - then sail it back to SF. IMHO
    Right boat - right money - right currency - right location & right in your backyard. WOW What more could you wish for. Good luck!

If you want to sail in the big ocean & to & from Hawaii - then you need c/b & a smart unit with a good sail plan - all that = a 35' Shuttleworth.

No comment about the other suggestions BUT - Good sailing & do have safe comfortable quick sailing with your family. Ciao, james

James - she's top of the list. However, add up the dodgery thing to keep the wife and kids happy when sailing upwind on SF Bay, and you're talking some not-insignificant surgery (per Mr Shuttleworth himself) - gotta move the traveler back to the original location.

For some reason the wife and kids now want to be dry and warm while sailing. And this after they said our old Weta was their favorite boat…..

But you're right - that's the right boat for Dad.

James - she's top of the list. However, add up the dodgery thing to keep the wife and kids happy when sailing upwind on SF Bay, and you're talking some not-insignificant surgery (per Mr Shuttleworth himself) - gotta move the traveler back to the original location.

For some reason the wife and kids now want to be dry and warm while sailing. And this after they said our old Weta was their favorite boat…..

But you're right - that's the right boat for Dad.
    Gooday again - Mitch-family. Great vessel - but for me - like y'all - but for different reasons - not QUITE the right one. It's out there somewhere - for sure. Just have to keep looking - all of us.

On the bottom of the 2nd page in 'classifieds' - an 'Exception 42 - great yacht - BUT - it's a tri - though at 42' it's got a standing bedroom of several girls. I offered the guy $120K AUD some time ago but he never got back to me.

I don't want to get into an arguement with everyone - but there are not many 'real sailing type multihulls' available in your neck of the woods. IMHO - of course !!! Before everyone shoots the messanger boy - I'm an ex-pat Canuck - spent my whole life building, repairing, sailing , racing both monohulls & multihulls - so if you're thinking of getting up my knose - don't bother.

To you mob - you've got me stumped - a tad bit - can't think of much over there that is going the way you want to go & at the price. Bugger - cause I do know the boat - (you would all just pray for) - where it is - & it IS for sale & it's just the best thing in the whole world for you mob - oh - & me to - - BUT neither of us can afford it. DARN - It's a tad big - a cat - light, strong, fast, roomy, great safe sea-vessel, SUPA ***y looking but $400K asking. It would make you drool, as it does me; designed to sail with 2 people, 14" draft, c/b's - hot - hot - hot - stand-up room c/w comfort & privacy etc etc etc. DARN - I'm buying lots of lotteries but no luck so far. PM me if you want to drool - but it's closer to me than it is to you. Caio, oh & 'rots-o-ruck' with the looking. james aka 'jj-geri-hat-trick' PS I really do send you my best wishes & lots of

It is very difficult to find a "good sailing mid-range cat" in this price range - no doubt. But I really don't need true blue water cruising capabilities - so why pay for it? There's a beautiful Simpson tri in Hawaii - but that boat has serious legs, and the cost of maintenance to go with it. I've learned the hard way that the cost to get in is just a side note - cost of keeping a boat is the expensive part - and you don't recoup on resale.

I need to stick to the 10 meter range - it's what will fit the bill. I might even commission a Woods cat - he's got some new 9-10 meter boats that are quite nice - but building ain't cheap when you don't have free time. Better for me to work for a living and pay for a boat.

Crossing my fingers on the Two Hoots…

Cheers.
    Mitch

We have owned two Seawind1000's, both with extensions. I think the only other boat that really appeals to me at this point and in this price range is the Shuttleworth 35. Always liked them. The only problem is they are a wet ride when beating but can always be cured with a dodger assembly as you are thinking.

Not a great fan of the Gemini as a blue water cruiser, but this is a very different proposition as a coastal cruiser.

It woud certainly be very high on a list for me in that role.
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

The Gemini might fit our needs very well - but it's a bit dark inside - not as nice a flow as the Seawind - but - all boats are a compromise, right?

What about a PDQ 36?

I don't think you'll find a Seawind in that price range. There are 42 Gems in the under $150,000 price (allowing for negotiations). They have centerboards so do pretty good to weather.
    http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...m=quick&N=2279

There's a "unique" 42' in the PNW for about 60K. Also a project 44" there for about the same.

There have been a few Seawind 1000's that have sold for below $120,000 in the past few years.

PDQ 36 is on the list - there was a nice one in my back yard just for sale - but my boat took a bit longer to sell - and that one either sold, or is off the market.

The family is positive on the Gemini - we rafted up against one a couple years ago and they really liked it. But then we rafted up against a Seawind...

But then we rafted up against a Seawind...

Heh!

Seawind 1000 does not have a solid door on the cockpit,
    Thats why I didnt buy one,

The Gemini after 2003 is blue water capable,

And the 1160 was too expensive for me,

And only people who have never owned one, Gemini, Can them,

Quote Originally Posted by Mr B. View Post
    Seawind 1000 does not have a solid door on the cockpit,
    Thats why I didnt buy one,

The Gemini after 2003 is blue water capable,

And the 1160 was too expensive for me,

And only people who have never owned one, Gemini, Can them,
    The canvas door enclosure on the Seawind 1000 has its good and bad points. Maybe not as good for full time live aboard at a marina or sailing in cold damp regions. Great for sailing in the tropics as the ventilation is fantastic. Also makes for a huge cockpit/saloon.
    Having owned two Geminis I think they have quite a few good points about them. I would however never consider them a bluewater cruiser but a great coastal cruiser.

Why are the post 2003 Gems more blue water capable than the earlier ones?

Mitch,

Well, this certainly won't have the performance of your tri, or even those on your list, but if you are having trouble finding a boat, you might want to consider this:

Don't know what he is asking, but there is an owner of a Lagoon 35ccc like mine on the west coast who mentioned to me he is thinking of selling, though I don't know what he might be asking. We have become internet friends, and he has been able to answer a lot of my questions. If you PM me, I can give you his email or I will contact him first and let you know. I may be away from my computer for a day or two, so I might not get back to you immediately.

He is the original owner, the boat has never been chartered, he has made some nice upgrades, and he knows a lot about the boat--his son worked for Morrelli & Melvin. It may not be the offshore racer you are after, but he has sailed in the Baja Haha.

He actually lives in Arizona and keeps the boat in Mexico.

You can see my boat if you check out my album
    http://www.multihulls4us.com/forums/...php?albumid=35

Here is a link for a video tour of the same model. It is actually hull #1, Latitude Adjustment, in Florida. This was the sale promo video. The present owner was actually a monohull sailor and, I believe, is very happy with his choice. We are also in fairly regular contact. Since he bought LA two years ago, he has cruised from Florida to the Bahamas on one trip, and Florida to Annapolis on another.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haF0iPi3QUY

His blog address is catcruising.net

FWIW, though I had been sailing Hobie Cats for 17 years and had made three Bermuda-New York monohull deliveries, my wife wasn't a sailor and wanted no part of sailing/chartering. I talked her into going to Sail Expo in Atlantic City in 1996 to get her on a Lagoon 35, the first cruising cat either of us had been on. She looked around and said she could "...do it on something like this..." Four BVI charter trips later, we own one and it is perfect for our cruising grounds/needs/budget.

Good luck with your search.

Marshall
    Last edited by searenitysail; 14th May 2012 at 01:12 AM.
    "People sail for fun and no one has yet convinced me that it's more fun to go slow than it is to go fast." -- Dick Newick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast