Thread: any one try tacktick wireless wind indicator?

Default any one try tacktick wireless wind indicator?

Has anyone tried the tacktick T033 wireless wind indicator advertised as especially useful on sailboats less than 35 ft? I am thinking of buying it and wonder about other's experience of wireless wind indicators.Thanks Jerry

Default Re: any one try tacktick wireless wind indicator?

I have used one on a 42ft tri. i found it very good as it was velcro stuck to the cabin and you just picked it off and move it to the new side.
    I do have another friend who is using the echo sounder and is haveing all sorts of interfearance problems .

the company has not really got an answer. we have moved it, tried different wireing but it reads rubbish if any other instrument is switched on.

other than that the only main problems is if the head unit doesnt get enough sun and the batts run flat in the display unit.

Kim
    just a scared rabbit in the headlights of life

Thanks Kim that's just what I needed. Velcro! Brilliant. You just glue some on wall and on unit? Jerry

There have been several references to Tack Tick kit on these forums recently. If I remember right, most people liked them very much. Two had required software updates to overcome some problem. And some people with bigger boats had occasional problems when the deck unit lost contact with the mast head sender. This was solved by walking forward, then all was well again.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Mike,

I believe there is also a relay unit that goes on the bottom of the mast that overcomes the distance problem on larger boats so you dont have to walk foreward to gain connection.

Kim
    just a scared rabbit in the headlights of life

Mine is still intermittently on the blink. My mast is 50ft. Sometimes it doesn't show up on startup, other times it stops transmitting after hours of operation. It's annoying but not - so far - as annoying as sending it back to Raymarine and then getting a replacement to intercept me somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by shirepig View Post
    Mine is still intermittently on the blink. My mast is 50ft. Sometimes it doesn't show up on startup, other times it stops transmitting after hours of operation. It's annoying but not - so far - as annoying as sending it back to Raymarine and then getting a replacement to intercept me somewhere.

Its most unlikely that Raymarine can supply a new wind transducer for a tacktick system. I have just bought two new displays, the wind transducer was part of the order, it took over 4 weeks to be supplied and was source from a service department as they had none in stock. Trying to contact Raymarine is a problem with the only helpful individual who knows anything about Tacktick seemingly permanently on the road.

So far I've only sailed for about 8 hours with the transducer at the mast head and lost the signal once. We had to hoist the display to the top of the 14m mast whilst rebooting the other display to regain the signal. The mast rotation sensor which has been suggested as a solution costs here in the UK 462 and in our case would probably be ripped of the mast by the tacking jib. Their pricing is the usual marine industry joke, with a simple piece of plastic that is attached to the bulkhead with three holes in it costing 36.

It seems that here in the UK once a product is sold on from its original maker, sailing friends assure me that Tacktick were a helpful and competent company, all issues of customer service decline

Now feeling better after this rant!

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by peter-lillywhite View Post
    So far I've only sailed for about 8 hours with the transducer at the mast head and lost the signal once. We had to hoist the display to the top of the 14m mast whilst rebooting the other display to regain the signal.
    Hi Peter -

Goodness that's a helluva bind. In the four years the Tackticks have been on the boat, we have never had to go to those lengths (literally). I am presuming you first tried our trick which is to take only the unit that displays wind speed and angle on boat (unit has line drawing of boat on it) to the base of the mast and simply reboot it. That has worked every time for us, when the signal was lost. No need to mess with the other unit; no need to hoik things up the mast.

[...] sailing friends assure me that Tacktick were a helpful and competent company, [...]
    Yes, they were, I can promise you that personally. They were on the case pronto and even liased with one of our sons so that he could bring the revamped units out to the Caribbean when he was due to visit us. Nothing was too much trouble.

Your experience with Raymarine couldn't be more different to ours with TackTick themselves - though a comment that's not a lot of use to you, I know.

Karen

I am presuming you first tried our trick which is to take only the unit that displays wind speed and angle on boat (unit has line drawing of boat on it) to the base of the mast and simply reboot it. That has worked every time for us, when the signal was lost. No need to mess with the other unit; no need to hoik things up the mast.

Karen,

I have fitted two Dual Digital Displays, one usually on each side of the cockpit (I also use them together when on a long tack). We have a rotating mast and I've become used to relating to a digital read out giving a wind angle to the mast centre line especially useful at night. An analogue display would be nice but two units and a mast rotation sensor would add 1300 to the bill.

Yes we tried to reboot it in the way you described but it didn't work. I'm hoping that this is not going to be a frequent problem but at the moment I'm not confident.

Peter

I took my Yachtmaster in a yacht that had tacktick instruments, we were moved between three yachts at the start of the course because of some unrelated problems and also due to problems of the tacktick systems. On most of these boats the statement was that the battery power of the instruments would not last through the night.
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Quote Originally Posted by gclore View Post
    Has anyone tried the tacktick T033 wireless wind indicator advertised as especially useful on sailboats less than 35 ft? I am thinking of buying it and wonder about other's experience of wireless wind indicators.Thanks Jerry
    I installed the T033 system last fall just before a cruise to the Bahamas. I was very happy with the unit and the 35ft designation probably applies to some features, but not to mast height. The masthead unit is the same as the one with the more expensive unit.

The unit worked flawlessly for a 1500nm, 4 month cruise with one exception. We went through a squall line in the Gulf Stream with heavy rain and winds above 35kts. During the squall we had some intermittent readings and I don't know the cause.

I've just had my occasionally faulty wind unit replaced by Tacktick (Raymarine) despite being out of warranty (which ran out in August). I emailed them in July explaining the difficulty of removing the windvane and picking up the repaired/replaced unit whilst on the move and they told me to send it in when I returned to the UK. Last week they arranged for a courier to pick the vane and analogue display up, sent me an engineers report a couple of days later and returned the working windvane and a replacement display (the old one was the problem). All this was done in a week.

Full marks to Raymarine.

Quote Originally Posted by shirepig View Post
    I've just had my occasionally faulty wind unit replaced by Tacktick (Raymarine) despite being out of warranty (which ran out in August). I emailed them in July explaining the difficulty of removing the windvane and picking up the repaired/replaced unit whilst on the move and they told me to send it in when I returned to the UK. Last week they arranged for a courier to pick the vane and analogue display up, sent me an engineers report a couple of days later and returned the working windvane and a replacement display (the old one was the problem). All this was done in a week.

Full marks to Raymarine.

Good news, our Tacktick system has worked out fine, we still occasionally need to reboot to get wind data but this has not been a problem.

Peter.