Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone using Hydrogen or HHO in their engines?

Default Re: Is anyone using Hydrogen or HHO in their engines?

I am not arguing about it Mate, I am just telling you whats out there,

Whether you believe me or not, I dont care,

Its a fact, go into it in detail from Google, Its all there, if you care to dig it out,

Cheers,
    Brian,

I almost shit myself.

There is no free lunch when it comes to energy conversion. There's not even a cheap lunch.
    OK--Herman Diesel was lost on a channel crossing just after he patented the diesel engine--but that could have just been an accident and nothing to do with the savings in fuel his engine delivered.

There is a cheaper lunch available--but it is not by any means free.
    This can be achieved by converting sailing efficiency into fuel savings.

One way of doing this is by using dynamotors to power a craft--they help push the boat over waves and regain some charge as the vessel surges--making the sailing a little more efficient--enough to overcome the mechanics of drag and conversion of energy to make it worthwhile on long cruises--or so I am led to believe. The top speed may be slightly reduced--but the average speed is better. For this system the battery is expensive and it does require a modest diesel engine as a reserve charge source in case the wind does not blow.

The energy saved is not free--it is wind power gained by turning the propellers and the permanently coupled dynamotors, which when driven rather than doing the driving become dynamos and charge the batteries.

In motor vehicles the energy saved running downhill can be converted to electrical energy and stored. Several hybrid vehicles already utilise this process.

Neither of these methods use any strange new science.

I once tried to electrolyse sea water. I got chlorine--not hydrogen--as the makers of Lectrasan sewage treatment systems will confirm.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
    OK--Herman Diesel was lost on a channel crossing just after he patented the diesel engine--
    Ahem - would that be Rudolf's Brother then

I once tried to electrolyse sea water. I got chlorine--not hydrogen--as the makers of Lectrasan sewage treatment systems will confirm.

Mike
    Mike Banks, hello. I am amused by your comment there. Why did you get chlorine and what has Lectrasan sewage treatment got to do with it?

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

You get Methane from sewerage,

Quote Originally Posted by dmmbruce View Post
    Mike Banks, hello. I am amused by your comment there. Why did you get chlorine and what has Lectrasan sewage treatment got to do with it?

Mike

I don't know but it seems to be just the thing Therapy will need should he be more successful in sh*tting himself on his next attempt.

as for Hydrogen in my engine rooms....oh, the humanity.
    Tropical island life in the Devil's Triangle.
    http://2gringos.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dmmbruce View Post

Mike
    I have what is called a "salt water pool". It still stays usable because there is chlorine in the water. The chlorine is produced by a "Generator" in the return water pipe. Inside is a set of plates and it is electrified by a control box. This is adjustable and produces chlorine for the pool. I don't have to add tabs or shock it any more.

Apparently it separates the Na (sodium) from the Cl (chlorine).

http://www.bluescience.com/swimming-...ter-pool-work/

I think the toilets have a "generator" too and it kills the bugs in the poop.

O--M---Goooooooddddddd

This story goes round and round and round

I cant believe that people actually believe the crap.

Kind of the emporers new clothes.

Buy a kit for $200 tell the world and their mates that your going to do it and once done----are you going to actually admit that it doesnt work?????

OK I used to belong to a car owners association for the Toyota Estima.
    its a desiel people carrier.
    a lot of us ran on chip fat----just cleaned, not converted to bio diesel.
    THEN this story appeared. well long story short, we had a mechanic who just did these Toyotas. he rebuilt an engine and had it in his car. after runnnig the vehicle for 2 months, taking readings of economy, had one of these gizmos installed, then did a fun race across Europe. I think covered 2 thousand miles 4 days
    he took As accurate readings as could be obtained. and guess what????

fuel economy decreased. he was using more diesel energy to "crack" the water , than the hydrogen gave back.
    disabled the unit and economy returned to normal

I read somewhere that to make this worth while you need at least 5% hydrogen. the output of these things s just nowhere near enough.
    the theory of the hydrogen creating better burn is well understood. its just you cannot get any where the near the required anmount out of a coffee jar, bit of stainless and water produced by the sweat of a thousand virgin angels.

as some one said here,,,, you cant get cheaper than free wind

Kim
    just a scared rabbit in the headlights of life

D'Oh!! It WAS Rudolf--I just forgot the name.

Here is the quote from Wickepedia I just looked up--

In the evening of 29 September 1913, Diesel boarded the post office steamer Dresden in Antwerp on his way to a meeting of the Consolidated Diesel Manufacturing company in London. He took dinner on board the ship and then retired to his cabin at about 10 p.m., leaving word for him to be called the next morning at 6:15 a.m. His cabin was found empty during a roll call and he was never seen alive again. A search of his cabin revealed that Diesel's bed had not been slept in, although his nightshirt was neatly laid out and his watch had been left where he could see it from the bed. His hat and overcoat were discovered neatly folded beneath the afterdeck railing.[4] Ten days later, the crew of the Dutch boat Coertsen came upon the corpse of a man floating in the ocean. The body was in such an advanced state of decomposition that it was unrecognizable and they did not bring it aboard. Instead, the crew retrieved personal items (pill case, wallet, pocket knife, eyeglass case) from the clothing of the dead man, and returned the body to the sea. On 13 October these items were identified by Rudolf's son, Eugen Diesel, as belonging to his father.
    There are various theories to explain Diesel's death. His biographers, such as Grosser (1978), present a case for suicide, and clearly consider it most likely. Conspiracy theories suggest that various people's business or military interests may have provided motives for homicide, however. Evidence is limited for all explanations. Shortly after Diesel's disappearance, his wife Martha opened a bag that her husband had given to her just before his ill-fated voyage, with directions that it should not be opened until the following week. She discovered 200,000 German marks in cash and a number of financial statements indicating that their bank accounts were virtually empty.
    Lectrasan (and other electric galvanic systems) use seawater in the sterilizer--and when electric current is passed through the gold or platinum electrodes chlorine is released which immediately dissolves in the water/sewage soup--producing a powerful biocide which renders the sewage "safe". The sewage has to be macerated first as it is mixed with seawater, (in freshwater one has to add salt to the toilet bowl) but after an hour or so of chlorine treatment it is safe to discharge it with no bacteria remaining alive. Soon on-board sewage treatment systems (of which chlorine are among the most practical) will be mandatory--in parts of Australia they already are.

The swimming pool system is very similar--but probably uses a reduced concentration of chlorine--since the volume of water in the pool is so much greater.

My next boat will have diesel electric power using dynamotors--if I can get a cheap cell system which is lighter than the lead acid units. I am saving up for it. I should live so long--

What has any of this to do with perpetual motion via chemistry? Absolutely nothing at all--

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Banks; 12th July 2012 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes and additional infoo

The primary problem with the OP's proposal is that he claims he wants to use the wasted energy in the system, but he's not taking the energy from the waste system but from the output system. If he knew anything about the thermodynamics of heat engines he would know that the delta T between the combustion process an the exhaust pretty much determines how much useful work you can get out of any heat engine. In fact the combustion temperature in a diesel is higher than that in a gas (petrol for you europeans) is in part why diesels are more efficient than gas engines. The OP's proposal is to lower the combustion temperature which is completely contrary to the laws of thermodynamics of heat engines, if you want to get more useful work out of less fuel. There is in fact a way to actually use the waste heat in the exhaust to increase the temperature of the combustion process and improve the efficiency of a diesel engine. It's called a turbocharger and they have been around for a long time. Of course if they really worked some oil company would have bought up the patent and supressed them.

Soon on-board sewage treatment systems (of which chlorine are among the most practical) will be mandatory--in parts of Australia they already are.
    It's funny that Austrailia is making them mandatory because in the states they are being outlawed.

'It's called a turbocharger and they have been around for a long time. Of course if they really worked some oil company would have bought up the patent and supressed them.'

I'd just like to stand a couple of feet away and whistle along too.

What is the strange and wonderful appeal of conspiracy theories? What is the irresistable lure of blaming mysterious forces much more powerful than ordinary humans for everyday failings and misfortune?
    Conspiracy theories abound; they provide explanations for such an incredible variety of situations that if no more than one percent were true, the world would be living in a declared state of emergency. That is enough to prove that there is no truth in them. Yet they endure, evolve and spread in spite of rational debunking, so there IS some force or energy behind them.
    A logical approach to the question might begin with question: Who benefits from these beliefs? Are they scams consciously created to pick the dusty pockets of the credulous? Or do they provide adherents with some non-monetary or personal rewards?
    Scams are easy to spot: money changes hands. Email addresses and passwords are harvested and sold. Myths are nurtured and perpetuated by the connivance of conmen. I would not be surprised to learn that some of these money makers are created by industrious groups for a fee.
    But what of conspiracy theories where there is no apparent beneficiary, no traceable money trail? Let's consider the inner rewards. What mental itch do these theories scratch?
    A defining characteristic is the futility of a single person or small group taking any effective action. You can't fight Tammany Hall, the Department of Defense, Space aliens, Communists of Variety of national affiliations, and the perpetual enemy, "They".
    This simply relieves the believer of any personal guilt for things going wrong. Did you fail to live up to some John Wayne standard of comportment? Blame a Secret Government Agency for experimenting in mind control. Too small to play Right Guard for the Packers? Blame Fluoridation of the public water supply. Can't stop Smoking; Blame P. Lorillard. Join the pack.
    Meet the guys at the street corner, talk up this or that excuse for being down trodden or repressed, go home feeling better. It's not your fault; bigger forces are at work. You can even feel good about deciding to do nothing.

Sandy, are you feeling better now?

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Sandy--you write extremely well--and you make some good points. Completely off-topic though--but what the hey--

There ARE some conspiracies which do affect us adversely. Most of them exist in banks and government departments, where they are slogan-driven for the most part.

Any lobby group represents a conspiracy. Everyone should join one--especially if it protects the rights and furthers the interests of amateur and professional seafarers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Daugherty View Post
    You can even feel good about deciding to do nothing.
    That is me now with very little work available. I can't seem to feel good about it though.

Maybe if I sniffed a little of that hydrogen.............I know chlorine doesn't work.

How about the conspiracy to completely cover up what happened to TWA flight 800? When your own government lies to you and lots of people die, I think that conspiracy means something.

How about the Branch Davidians? Yeah, we needed to kill those people.

Ruby Ridge?

Keep drinking the Kool Aid. You'll feel better.
    Tropical island life in the Devil's Triangle.
    http://2gringos.blogspot.com/

What is it with you yanks and Kool-Aid. (and yes I know all about Jim Jones blah blah blah and it wasn't kool aid apparently it was some other brand)

Where it involves governments and conspiracies, I have always faithfully believed in my Government.

Believed that they are too stupid to organise and carry out a reasonable conspiracy.

Home port Chesapeake Bay; Cruising full time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
    How about the conspiracy to completely cover up what happened to TWA flight 800?
    OK, I'll bite - what did the gov't cover up?

"Completely covered up"? That would mean it didn't blow up afterall?

2 Hulls Dave

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast