Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gemini's are Crap in Blue Water,

Default Re: Gemini's are Crap in Blue Water,

and all of the anchors.
    Tropical island life in the Devil's Triangle.
    http://2gringos.blogspot.com/

It has been long enough that someone knows what happened.

??

Quote Originally Posted by white rabbitt View Post
    I knew of a Gemini 105Mc that flipped several times before ending up right side up and continued sailing. Just saying.
    Need pic's

They were lost, swoory. There was also a video, but alas, that was lost as well.
    But they all sailed away into the sun Happy ever after.

Aaahhhhhh....

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

They were lost, swoory. There was also a video, but alas, that was lost as well.
    Back in your hole you waskally wabbit.

Suffering Sucatash,

Quote Originally Posted by therapy View Post
    Back in your hole you waskally wabbit.
    Suffering Sucatash

I am starting to lean toward a Gemini and a cheap FL house on a canal over a larger cat. For island hopping in the Caribbean, keeping things light, watching for weather windows, and being able to cruise or not cruise on a realistic budget. I am nervous about the overnight sails but I am scared to death of the under deck slamming which Mr. B. never mentions...

Quote Originally Posted by thenaz007 View Post
    I am starting to lean toward a Gemini and a cheap FL house on a canal over a larger cat. For island hopping in the Caribbean, keeping things light, watching for weather windows, and being able to cruise or not cruise on a realistic budget. I am nervous about the overnight sails but I am scared to death of the under deck slamming which Mr. B. never mentions...
    Then it is VERY important that you get to sail on one in suitably windy conditions and check it out for yourself. Your idea of splashing underneath, or solid water slamming, may be very different to another person's.

Mike

The slap is there.......and will be there.

One either learns to ignore it or not. Some people are bothered by things like that and some are not.

Some would say to charter one and see. I think that won't work well because on a charter all is new and interesting and fun and lookee this and lookee that! I chartered one and it slapped and I hardly noticed it as there was so much fun and all.

But it sure is the most bang for the buck in a cat that can do a lot. Including finding an anchor spot in water smooth enough that there is no slap. But then a lot of times there is just not a place like that.

So hard.

One main reason I don't have one anymore is because I could not have what we needed. A house in W FL on a canal and the Gem out back. Not in the income bracket to have both.

Yep.

I know that the wife cannot operate a laptop with mouse (at the salon table) while underway.

I know you can charter one out of Lauderdale for a couple weeks in the Bahamas. I cant believe they would do it if it was so unpleasant. Seems perfect for that with the low draft. The next step up and you aren't legal in any of the canals I can afford... I have a Catalac in my marina - just couldn't do it myself. Everyone says charter this and charter that - those $10K trips add up fast on my budget, I am going to have to try to do some day sails. I have sailed in larger cats - what points of sail and sea conditions are bad for slap?

I suspect you have become concerned about all this due to some of the alarmist posts that get made by those who know little about it.

There is a big difference between wave 'slap', which is gentle and normal and is of little or no concern. Compared with 'slamming', meaning the heavy thud of waves hitting under the bridge-deck, which is unpleasant, but not necessarily a matter for concern. Boats are designed to handle this. Gemini's go round the world ok and deal with all types of weather.

My Heavenly Twin is an old boat and only has a few inches of clearance. She slams in short steep coastal seas going to windward which is when you would expect this to happen. I don't like it but it is not a problem. Few if any boats of modern design would have anything like this. Out in deep water away from the coast, even going to windward, slamming is less likely. Cross-wind or down-wind much less likely.

Try and get a demo sail with the dealer on a reasonably windy day and see for yourself.

Mike

My old Gemini slammed in 10-15 kt. winds while anchored. That said, they are fun boats and great in my opinion for coastal sailing.

Quote Originally Posted by thenaz007 View Post
    I know you can charter one out of Lauderdale for a couple weeks in the Bahamas. I cant believe they would do it if it was so unpleasant. Seems perfect for that with the low draft. The next step up and you aren't legal in any of the canals I can afford... I have a Catalac in my marina - just couldn't do it myself. Everyone says charter this and charter that - those $10K trips add up fast on my budget, I am going to have to try to do some day sails. I have sailed in larger cats - what points of sail and sea conditions are bad for slap?
    HaHa. Yep. That is what I found out. Gemini buyers are generally on a different budget from the "normal" cat buying group.
    10k here and 10k there can just about buy a used Gem. Ha!
    The closer to the wind the more slapping. The shorter and steeper "chop" produces more slap.
    Like I said. There is a certain amount of slap around all the time. It doesn't affect anything except nerves if you have the receptors for it. Some don't. Some do. When someone taps a pencil repeatedly near you what is your reaction? Can you tune it out?

If budget is an important issue, I would rather consider a Gemini than a monohull.

I would definitely first consider a charter, though.

There are a number of places--here is one:

http://www.suncoastadventurecenter.c...emini105m.html

Priorities many times can dictate boat choice, but the bottom line is would you rather be sailing or not? Choose accordingly.

Marshall
    "People sail for fun and no one has yet convinced me that it's more fun to go slow than it is to go fast." -- Dick Newick

There's basically nothing at all wrong with Gemini's. They are a lightly built coastal coastal cruiser at a specific price point. When all the planets and stars are lined up and the proper gods paid off, they've proven they can sail around the world. Should you want to do that. They're on the small side for full time liveaboard type sailing, although I think one would be a great bachelor pad. Being light, they sail pretty well when kept light. You just can't load a few months worth of provisions on a 34 ft. boat and not turn it into a slug, either. I think these are some of the best boats around for weekending, and coastal cruising the Bahamas for a few weeks at a time. I don't remember if the mast is easy to take down or not, but if it is, that might be a selling point for you, too. Lets you live on a canal and still get under a bridge. The smaller Catalacs have easy to step masts. Gemini may, as well. I never got to the point of buying one of the three Gemini's we were closing in on. I bought a Catalac instead. Rick got to me. We were in the process of picking which Gemini to buy back in 2008. We had scraped together 150K to buy one, and I haven't followed the market but in '07, '08 we could get a pretty nice 105Mc for that. Then the import duty here suddenly went from 10% on boats, to 33% for a while, and then up to 46%. So while we had 150 for a boat and could handle 10% import duty on that.....we suddenly could NOT handle 150 for a boat and another 60-70 in duty. Nor were we willing to buy what was out there for under 100K. So we were kind stuck until 2012, when suddenly out of the blue there were three Catalac 12's on the market at the same time, with two of them in Jax and St. Augustine. Same money as a used Gemini, just a lot harder to find. And a different boat. I would expect a lightly loaded Gemini to sail circles around us. But then, we can carry everything we want on board, with an amazing amount of room for a 41 ft. cat that draws 3 ft.

Earlier in this thread I just re-read that someone said that any cat will flip. Well, I've yet to see a photo or hear of any Catalac flipping. One survived the Queens Birthday Storm. Tom Lack had a standing offer of 10,000 pounds Sterling for anyone who could provide a photo of a Catalac with a hull flying under any conditions. Nobody ever claimed it. And I'm sure a few tried.

The Gemini is a good boat. They would never have sold well over a thousand of them if it was a bad boat. Bad boat builders go belly up pretty quickly. Performance did not. I can think of a few others that did. PDQ, for one? All it takes these days is a hint of a rumor of a problem, and people immediately start nibbling at the boat's reputation. You will always run into people who will trash anything they themselves have no experience with. Listen to the people who have owned the Geminis, and not to those who are just passing on the standard BS that builds up around anything. Like Hunters. Or MacGregor 26's. talk to owners outside a sales situation to get the lowdown, and decide if the pros and cons work for you personally. When someone starts making claims about a boat, ask them "Which one did you own? What year, what sail number?"

Lots of people sneered at VW Beetles, too. So? As for the dreaded wave slap...well go into a marina on those nights if it bothers you.. There are noises associated with fiberglass hulls floating on wavelets. You already know this. Remember....a thousand boats sold....

Buy the boat you like. Go for it. If you don't like it, sell it and get another boat. But stop waffling. Life is short.
    Last edited by Gringo; 25th April 2015 at 03:21 PM.
    Tropical island life in the Devil's Triangle.
    http://2gringos.blogspot.com/

Good post Gringo.

For the record. Almost 3yrs of ownership 105Mc #1044. Bought used. Original owner sailed it for 2 -3 weeks.

Agreed. Gringo, you summed it up nicely.

Marshall
    "People sail for fun and no one has yet convinced me that it's more fun to go slow than it is to go fast." -- Dick Newick

Good post Gringo. We owned a 3200 for a year and also took a 105m in trade. In my personal opinion the design of the Gemini has gone backwards with the newer models. The original 3000's had a decent bridgedeck clearance and an outboard for simplicity and to keep things light which also helps the bridgedeck clearance. I just looked at a 105m that's hauled at the same yard as we are, and the bridgedeck clearance might be 7". There have been numerous problems with the outdrives setup on the 105 and the diesel makes a lot of noise. But, the livability has expanded on the newer models, at the cost of.......

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast