Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Window Heat Solution

Default Front Window Heat Solution

I'm checking to see how others have solved the problem of heat through the front windows. We have had shade screens attached outside forever and that works, but why have a window you can't see out of? We are searching for ideas to allow viewing and still keep some heat out. The second option is some sort of shade that can be opened and closed as needed inside. I have the 43 with the large windows.

We have acrylic not glass so I'm limited on window tint products. Any ideas appreciated.

Tom

Default Re: Front Window Heat Solution

Move to Britain. Problem solved. No sun.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

More sensibly!

If you only want a temporary solution, for use while you are on board and the weather suits a simple solution, ie not a very windy day, you could copy a friend of mine from East Africa.

He fixed some simple clips above the windows. Just little tulip shaped cheap stainless clips. Then make some thin boards that are light and match the grip on the clips. In those days he used 3-ply painted white, now you would use plastic. Push the boards into the clips when you want the shade and the window open. Remove them quickly and easily when not wanted. It worked well.

Mike

I have shade cloth on the outside which helps, and have also double glazed using double sided tape, and a material similar to cling film. Just apply, then heat up gently with a hot air dryer and it tensions flat. This not only stops a lot of heat transfer, but also eliminates condensation.

There are films that can be applied to the outside, or to the inside of acrylic and will significantly reduce heat transfer even if the clear film is chosen. The advantage of shade cloth and outside heat transfer film is that it reduces the UV degradation of the the acrylic so your windows last longer.

If I recall correctly, the film is good for 4 years on the outside and nearly double that on the inside. Applying the film to both the outside and the inside will really cut down on thermal transfer.
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Talbot, do you have a trade name for this film please?

Mike

I found a film for acrylics made by Gila, sold at Home Depot. GILA, Peel and Stick Titanium which allows 28% light transmission and great UV protection. The "peel and stick" is for plastics as I understand. It is 36"x78" cost $41 at HD. Here is the link where I learned of this, it's an aircraft group that is using it on planes. http://csobeech.com/windowtint.html#Top They have good install tips as well. This has no adhesive and is removable, which is why it works on plastics.

I will try it inside and then outside as mentioned above if still too much heat. That should really dissipate the heat (essentially reducing 90% ?) and protect the acrylic. Oh, and it will let me see outside!

Tom

Seaesta,

I looked at this film this weekend but decided not to buy it until I learned a little bit more; afraid that it would bubble on my acrylic windows. I'd be very interested to hear what you think of the finished result.

David.

I applied normal film to acrylic on my last boat - not brilliant, but acceptable. I tried it onpolycarbonate and it was terrible.

The film I found before stated it was suitable for both, so must use a different glue. I cant find the site quickly and dont have a book mark for the site on this computer. When I can search some of my old favourites, I will see If I still have a link.

Seaesta -

Instead of a solid shade covering on the outside, we used an expanded mesh material. Cut down a lot on the heat and still allowed visibility.
    Available in colors to match most marine canvas, check with your local canvas shop.
    Sail Fast Live Slow

That"s what we have always had. Likely the 90% weave and it has really done well keeping the heat out but the visibility was awful. I'm on the search for a product to allow the great views I currently miss out on. This film from HD is a "cling" film, Not an adhesive film as are most all other products. This can be removed and put back up. As I understand it, Acrylics can output some gas and cause bubbles, so an adhesive type film could end up looking real bad. Then the adhesive is a real issue to remove, likely scratching the acrylic in the process. Whereas with the "peel & Cling" film, if bubbles appear in a year or two, just get the soap/water mix sprayer and peel it back then replace and smooth. That's the theory anyway. I don't see the downside yet, other than to determine the amount heat reduction compared with the screens and appearance. This is a 72% film which might equal the Phifertex shade screen we have now. I'm about to replace my windows so now is the time to experiment on the old. If all else fails I may try a looser weave as you suggest. Thanks. Tom

I'm from Bermuda, CareFree currently in Grenada

This is one option to consider. My boat came with them on all windows and portlights.

http://www.zarcor.com/products/peek-a-booo/index.php

Try the Sailrite website, they have sunshade material that blocks 75% sunlight and is easy to see thru as well. I use it on my V440 for years snapped to the outsides.

Rob

For our 450 Cab. we have sunbrella material that we snap in place on the inside. In most cases the shades go up only on one side or the other(as the sun rises or sets), they stay clean and dry. With multiple snaps around the window the cloth need only cover part of the window. E.J.

Thank you all for the different solutions. I have considered them and intend to try the window film to see if I can reach my goal of a great viewing experience without having to remove covers, shades or curtains. I discovered that film after I first posted, so I have an opportunity to try it and then work through the other options if it fails to do the job. I'll let you know how it works out. I might get to it this weekend.

Thanks,
    Tom

I first had covers made of the Phifertex, but really wanted more shade.

Last summer when the first set fell apart, I had some made (they snap on outside) of two layers of Sunbrella, white on top, black on bottom. From experience with previous cat, I knew this would totally block the heat.

But for visibility when required, I had these made with a "port hole" --octagonal in shape-- in each, with their own covers attached with velcro. The roundish hole helps the remaining canvas hold its shape under tension, and the octagonal shape is easier than a circle to form the velcro around the perimeter of the hole, and its cover.

So far this has worked well.

Just an update on the GILA, Peel and Stick Titanium window film from Home Depot. We love it! I put new windows in on both sides and the heat was now raging in. I put up the peel and cling Titanium on windows side by side and noticed a huge difference. It is not an adhesive but the peel and cling so it can be removed and has worked great for over a month now. I also made new covers for the large front windows until I can get them replaced but in comparison, the window film seemed to do the same job as the piphertex 80% and I think the window film reflected as much or more heat than the cover. Just my experience.

Tom
    SeaEsta

I guess I am a little late here since I missed the thread at the beginning but a film was what I wanted to treat my windows with. I have since sold the boat but know that it will be one of the first upgrades I do to any cat I might have in the future.

I had found this and was going to try it or find a source for the same stuff.

http://www.windowtint.com/Plastic-Window-Films/

Please update the thread for me so I can know what to get.

Thank you.

Though, by the time I get another cat (if ever ) they will probably have factory plexi with the uv inhibitors and heat dissipating "stuff" built in.

Some great ideas I'll check HD about the film

The trouble with the films before have been either that they are adhesive - and thus bubble in heat due to different expansion rates, or that the cling style are designed to be applied to the interior of the window.

The problem with putting a thermal film on the inside of a window is well understood for glass double glazing, in that it really increases the thermal effect on the outside pane of glass. This is the same problem for acrylic, with the added problem that this increases the rate of damage to the acrylic and thus reduces the period before replacement becomes due.

The benefit of shade cloth has always been that this increases the life of the windows and the seal around the window.

I ave just found www.tapplastics.com vinyl_cling_window_films on the web, and these are designed to be used on the outside windows of boats, thus solving the problems lists above.

Quote Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
    I ave just found www.tapplastics.com vinyl_cling_window_films on the web, and these are designed to be used on the outside windows of boats, thus solving the problems lists above.

Looks OK but at only 6% light transmission....................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast