Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front Window Heat Solution

Default Re: Front Window Heat Solution

According to the directions, you don't just leave it on, either. Quote: "Put on for sunny daytime protection, and remove at sunset."

Quote Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
    According to the directions, you don't just leave it on, either. Quote: "Put on for sunny daytime protection, and remove at sunset."
    That does not sound realistic!

How many cruisers do you know who would bother to do that!

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Quote Originally Posted by dmmbruce View Post
    That does not sound realistic!

How many cruisers do you know who would bother to do that!

Mike
    Right.

And it also hints that if the weather is bad it might remove it for you. That would not be good either.

I used the Gila "Titanium" energy saving Peel and Cling film and as I said we love it. I did review the TAP Plastics site and I'm thinking it might be the same product made by Gila. Not enough specs to be sure. The TAP site said you can put it on and take it off at night. NO WAY! Yes one could do that if they had no life at all, otherwise, it's way too much work. I also checked the site Talbot provided Windowtint.com and I liked that product as well. They have a little darker tint than the Gila best I could tell and I may try that for the large 3' x 6' windows. Either of these beats the heck out of window coverings that destroy the view. The Gila Titanium, best I can tell from placing it on half the window, is equal to the phifertex mesh currently on the windows. The specs for the Gila are:
    (copied from Gila site)
    Energy Saving Titanium (peel & cling)
    Cuts cooling costs up to 50%
    Rejects up to 72% of the sun's heat
    Helps reduce fading to interior furnishings
    Rejects up to 99% of UV rays
    Reduces glare
    Available sizes:
    3' x 6.5' – covers 1 standard window
    Energy Saving Titanium (peel & cling) is available only at select retailers

The greatest threat/Danger to the plexiglass window are chemicals, such as Ammonia, Bleach etc. My windows were destroyed by a previous owner/cleaner using windex/Ammonia. It caused severe crazing, more than can be expressed. I include a photo of two windows, one with film and the other is dark plexi 2074. We love the clear unobstructed views and the heat control works great. Those were the Pro's now for the Con's: Because of the heat reflection material, there is a very slight distortion looking out into daylight. This is not very noticeable. #2 At night there is a reflection as though it were a silver coating on the inside. Makes it difficult to see outside if you have interior lights on. Those are my negatives. So far its the best solution we have found. See photo attached.
    SeaEsta. Good Luck
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Seaesta View Post
    I used the Gila "Titanium" energy saving Peel and Cling film and as I said we love it.
    Did you put it just on the inside?

Yes, Just on the inside. It accomplished my goal of reducing the heat, provided good viewing and looks great. The reason I chose not to put it on the outside was mainly the looks. I think the product would do well but it would have a mirror like reflection most of the time and I didn't like that. The only time I see that mirror like reflection from the interior application is at night from the lights inside the cabin.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Seaesta View Post
    Yes, Just on the inside. It accomplished my goal of reducing the heat, provided good viewing and looks great. The reason I chose not to put it on the outside was mainly the looks. I think the product would do well but it would have a mirror like reflection most of the time and I didn't like that. The only time I see that mirror like reflection from the interior application is at night from the lights inside the cabin.
    Tom
    Thanks.

No science here but wonder if since the rays used to just go through the plastic but now go through and are reflected back, if the "wear and tear" on the plastic is double. ie, shorter life.

Something for Practial Sailor to take up.

I wonder if we got enough people together if we could have some louvers made. I know here in florida their are companies that make custom storm shutters.

Quote Originally Posted by therapy View Post
    Thanks.

No science here but wonder if since the rays used to just go through the plastic but now go through and are reflected back, if the "wear and tear" on the plastic is double. ie, shorter life.

Something for Practial Sailor to take up.
    Film on the inside of the window has a life nearly double that of film on the outside. The downside is that the acrylic has no protection from the UV damage.

I had intended to fit a new IBM film designed as suitable for acrylic to all my hatches and windows and a team from a recommended installer tried to do this. Unfortunately the film is fairly thick and was unsuitable for the compound curves on the main windows of my boat. When they tried to fit it to the hatches, they damaged the acrylic underneath when cutting the film to fit (I guess they were only used to doing this with glass) - but they did at least replace the hatch acrylic. They refused to try anymore, so I continue to use the external sun shade cloth.
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

hi
    This is an old post but wouldn't you just copy what the Leopard has done , seem to work ok for window shades ?

I like the idea of these films. And I sail with zero canvas/bimini/dodger fitted.
    However, I am mostly at anchor/dock like most cruisers, so shade cloth/canvas seems to work best and can be modular.
    I have a well tested system around fixed bimini and existing dodger. Can roll up out of the way. Can be attached to lifelines (either top or bottom) for shade (airflow and dry), and zipped completely closed for rain/snow (was very effective this winter).

I have a work-in-progress system to cover the coach roof and windows.

This coach roof/windows system is attached to leading edge of fixed bimini (dodger is removed).It floats above the coach roof. The sides of this section cover the windows - front and sides. Can be attached to bottom of windows, or pulled out horizontally and attached to life lines on sides, and mast(using batten?) at front.
    This gives good shade and visibility - the window covering sections would be horizontal - air can flow thru - hatches can be wide open, rain can't get in.
    Air flows thru between coach roof and shade cloth thru cockpit. Good airflow and dry...
    Laying the canvas/shade cloth over the coach roof instantly drops temperature drastically in saloon...
    This will also be used for winter. I will use insulation in window sections to prevent heat loss, and freezing/dripping...
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by LouisAndNatasha View Post
    hi
    This is an old post but wouldn't you just copy what the Leopard has done , seem to work ok for window shades ?
    That is what i am thinking.
    Join the Voyage Catamaran Owners Group on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1614218135459635/

I have a Catana with plex windows. I presently am experimenting with pieces of Reflectix (mylar with silver film) type, actually they're the car windscreen sun cover things I have cut to shape to match the windows. Anyway, I'm putting these under my Phifertex Plus screens, reflective side facing out, on the outside of the plex. Wow, what a dif. The mylar still allows light (although no view) but it is much cooler in there. Me, I want a view, I'll go on deck.

what I don't know yet is how long the plastics will last, but then I got two covers out of a $5 package, so for $10 I covered all four salon windows...

!!! hey thatīs not that bad in UK.... but yes.. super funny comment..

6% is illegal in the whole or at least most of the US (regarding local tint laws), isnīt it????

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12