Thread: Washer / Dryer Recommendation

Default Washer / Dryer Recommendation

We are looking for recommendations for a washer / dryer for our Voyage 440 owner's version...what brands and where to install. We would especially like to hear from anyone who has a washer /dryer installed on their 440, especially as to its installation location. We are considering installing a vented Splendide in the closet between the office and master stateroom (pre-plumbed and wired at the factory) but the space looks tight. We understand that the dryer function will be minimal at best, but that is not unique to Splendide. Thanks in advance for any input.

Default Re: Washer / Dryer Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Rocking_B View Post
    We understand that the dryer function will be minimal at best, but that is not unique to Splendide. Thanks in advance for any input.
    Where do you intend sailing, Rocking B? I can understand the desire for a dryer function if you think you may be spending considerable time in rainy, cool climates, but if that were the case, I think I'd rather have a decent dryer than the combined washer-dryer. After all, washing your own laundry by hand is not difficult on a boat, not with the unlimited and very cheap supply of seawater at your sugarscoop, but drying clothes can be a challenge in parts of Europe, say.

But every washer/dryer I've ever heard tell of has been unconditionally crap at drying. My father had one, supposedly one of the best, and it was neither use nor ornament. I wonder just how many generator hours per successful drying load??? And should your cruising ground be somewhere like the Caribbean, then that great butterball dryer in the sky will have the job done within a couple of hours - sooner if the wind is also out to play. And all of it for free.

I am not the gal you need to answer your Q, obviously - and I apologise for chipping in - but after 3 and a half years of live-aboard life, I struggle to think of any appliance I'd like less than a washer/dryer.

Karen
    Last edited by Karen; 23rd July 2012 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocking_B View Post
    We are looking for recommendations for a washer / dryer for our Voyage 440 owner's version...what brands and where to install. . . . We understand that the dryer function will be minimal at best, but that is not unique to Splendide. Thanks in advance for any input.
    Hello Rocking_B, There have been several threads elsewhere about this. The general recommendation seemed to be to get a caravan/RV type model as they are smaller and lighter as well as being effective. Everyone agreed that the dryer was pretty useless however, even on the bigger ones.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Get a Miele w/d combo. It is very $$$ initially, but works nicely, gives few problems and has a great worldwide after sales service. They even have a more powerful dewatering pump as an option, for high-lift installations.

We've had our Splendide vented model for 10 years, installed in the same location as Voyage had factory plumbed and wired (we too have a 2002 Voyage 440). We use it constantly, just replaced the water pump ($135 and 30 minutes) and the dryer function is actually too hot. One of the better "marine" equipment on board.

Hi Bill.

Thanks for replying. We have a few questions and hope you have a moment to answer. Did you have your Splendide installed or was it installed by Voyage? Do you have any pictures of the area showing the installed washer/dryer in place? Where does your dryer vent exit the boat?

Thanks again for any bits of information you can provide, specifically regarding the fitting of the machine in the space.

Sincerely,
    Ken

And if it does not fit through a bulkhead, do this.
    This particular one was on a St. Francis 50 a few years back and is still running well.
    Have done about four installs with this method
    Kent www.justcatamarans.net
    Attached Images Attached Images

Karen, What a strange posting. We have lived aboard, with four children coming along, since 1995 and cannot think of any appliance we'ld like more. It is incredibly useful and labour saving device.......why wouldn't anyone want one if they have the space, power and water?

Home port Chesapeake Bay; Cruising full time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
    Karen, What a strange posting. We have lived aboard, with four children coming along, since 1995 and cannot think of any appliance we'ld like more. It is incredibly useful and labour saving device.......why wouldn't anyone want one if they have the space, power and water?
    Because of space, power, and water? Actually, I'm with Karen on this topic. We have a Splendide washer/dryer combo and I'd love to get it off the boat but the Admiral won't let me. We use it maybe a couple times every winter cruise when we're out in the boonies someplace that does not have any shore side DIY laundromats. But I acknowledge others may have a different approach to how they accomplish their cruising chores - especially a family potentially doing laundry very frequently and who have a generator. We don't have a generator. So if we need to use it we wash when we need to motor - plenty of hot water and power to replace the RO water that gets consumed. Even then we still have to use ole Sol as the dryer. Ours has gotten a lot more use as a Faraday Cage....

Dave

Hi Dave - power is the issue? We dont have a diesel gen-set, we sold it and instead have over 1000w of solar panels (some are always shaded) and two wind gennies. We have not wanted for power since. Similarly, we have a 12v water maker that is constant auto use. On this item I am fully behind my wife - I dont wish her to be a slave to domestic chores so if something makes her labours easier than I am going to provide it for her. Sailing, after all, is meant to be as enjoyable as possible. When it was just my wife and myself we used a small ancient Italian top loading washing machine which was fantastic. When four kids came along priorities needed reviewing. A wash machine joined the boat and we are bnow on our second one. We do not have a drier - the wind and sun are free for that. Please appreciate, if you live full time aboard, two other issues come into play: with six of us a laundromat would affect our budget. I would rather use the money (however small) for treats. Secondly, there are no laundromats where we cruise!! I read a lot about Splendide wash / driers - we have an LG top loading automatic and it is incredible - economical on power. Half fill it with water, add detergent and sail and it does not even need to be switched on. At anchor we really do not even notice the power consumption - the benfit of having fitted a goal post arrangement with the solar panels on it, plus further panels on the hard top bimini. The wind gennies also contribute occassionally but generally have proved excessive and a waste of cash.

Because of space, power, and water? Actually, I'm with Karen on this topic. We have a Splendide washer/dryer combo and I'd love to get it off the boat but the Admiral won't let me. We use it maybe a couple times every winter cruise when we're out in the boonies someplace that does not have any shore side DIY laundromats. But I acknowledge others may have a different approach to how they accomplish their cruising chores - especially a family potentially doing laundry very frequently and who have a generator. We don't have a generator. So if we need to use it we wash when we need to motor - plenty of hot water and power to replace the RO water that gets consumed. Even then we still have to use ole Sol as the dryer. Ours has gotten a lot more use as a Faraday Cage....

Dave[/QUOTE]

Home port Chesapeake Bay; Cruising full time.

Good for you and congrats on getting it done w/o a genny! You've got 300w more solars than we do and we have no wind gens. But we do have a water heater on each engine, which many cats criminally don't seem to have.

Just another example of how cruisers accomplish their tasks in differing ways. One size does not fit all.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
    Sorry, Bulawayo, I sounded a little too aggressive in my pro DIY laundry posting there! As Dave says, each to their own. After nearly seven years of cruising I still wouldn't have a washing machine, having got spoilt on the efficiency/energy/weight/water/space saving that hand laundry gives me. And one thing less to fix or buy parts for! But back in the UK where the weather is nothing like as washing-friendly as the Caribbean, I love my washing machine with a passion.

Karen

We have a caravan style twin tub. Does a great job, weighs very little, doesn't use much water or power. Using a twin tub is more "hands on" than an automatic, but it's not like we're too pressed for time.

We can live without a dryer. We only wash when it's sunny, the solar panels run the washing machine easily.