Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New owner, old boat Seawind 24

Default Re: New owner, old boat Seawind 24

Went around the boat with the camera. Some questions popped.
    First, what is this thingy on the bow? Do I need it there? Only on the port hull.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another thing, rudder cases where cracked and welded. Professionally, according to PO. Should I be worried for their integrity?

Other than that,
    the plan is
    -sand off that old bottom paint
    -fill/sand all the holes/scrathces etc
    -high-build primer, sealing primer, paint from BlueWater Marine
    -VC Offshore for the bottom
    -new tramp in front, new ply for the middle section
    -new ply inside, maybe paint interior
    -2 hatches on top where the translucent part is now, maybe 2 Nicro vents
    .... and we will see after that

Quote Originally Posted by YoungGrumpy View Post
    Went around the boat with the camera. Some questions popped.
    First, what is this thingy on the bow? Do I need it there? Only on the port hull.
    I have not got them! I suppose it is a winching point for trailing.

Another thing, rudder cases where cracked and welded. Professionally, according to PO. Should I be worried for their integrity?
    Mine have smaller repairs but a holding up fine. Being cast alloy I think the weld would be as strong as the casting. I suspect that they are fine but I would keep an eye on them. Like all the bits on a SW24 they where over spec by a big margin... it does however suggest that the boat has had some hard knocks, take a look around the transom and see if it has been repaired!

Other than that,
    the plan is
    -sand off that old bottom paint
    -fill/sand all the holes/scrathces etc
    -high-build primer, sealing primer, paint from BlueWater Marine
    -VC Offshore for the bottom
    -new tramp in front, new ply for the middle section
    -new ply inside, maybe paint interior
    -2 hatches on top where the translucent part is now, maybe 2 Nicro vents
    .... and we will see after that
    Ply etc inside looks heavy, I would be temped to put her on a diet where ever possible.

As I am working on the Shopping list for fitout,
    could somebody share some numbers for the rig?
    Halyard size (there are some rope/wire relics in the box), type preference.
    Standing rigging size - as I am not sure I can justify the price difference for the synthetic, I will stay with the SS wire. I see there is an headstay, 2 shrouds. What else? Somebody had mentioned running backstays to the masthead, are this only for running the masthead spinnaker?
    I hope I will figure out the sheets when I am ordering the sails. Other little bits and pieces of the rig and deck setup are disassembled /removed and /or in condition for replacement.
    So some pictures of the mast/deck/rig setup would be very helpful.

thanks
    For halyards I went for all spectra, 8mm --> for my hands, way over strength! I replaced the wire sheaves to accommodate it and spliced it myself, ended up cheaper than a pro job and looks just as good. I used standard braid for the kite halyard, stretch is no issue there.

I replaced all the wire, ~4.9mm 1x19. Shrouds, forestay and diamonds. I wouldn't worry about any running backstays for a masthead kite, that stick will take it with no concerns ---> JMO + I would leave a mast head kite until you are sure you want/need one, not a hard retrofit.

I ran my halyards internal and cut exit slots in the lower mast.

Sorry but I have no shots of the final result... I might get some the next time I sail her but that will be a way off.... way laid with toddlers and a couple of other handbrakes for the next year or so!
    Last edited by Zed; 31st August 2012 at 04:02 AM.

While is all apart you would do well to replace the nylon rudder pintle bushes with a better material, the nylon is hydroscopic and will swell and bind the rudders if it is left in the water for long periods. I used Vesconite, some similar epoxy bearing would do. Also remove the gudgeons and you will probably find that they are not inline i.e. you can't run a straight line top to bottom through the pintles, this puts needless friction into the helm. Packing them out with a wedge so that they line up will help free them up and reduce the heavy helm that the SW24 tends to have. Its one of the next jobs on my list :-)

Where would I get that stuff for the pintle bushings? I see that ones I've got are kinda worn, that made me thinking I will need to replace them

Talk to the guys that fit small marine engines or your local marine engineer, they will know who supplies prop shaft bearing material. That is the sort of stuff you are after but in small size. Typically the bearing material is used in all sorts of applications so contact the manufacturer, they will know who has the smaller sizes... assuming your local guys don't

I just noticed that Tohatsu do a extra long shaft 4 stroke 6hp that is nice and light. It sounds like a good option for a SW24, good torque and light!

It looks like a great motor, I will keep it in mind as an option.
    For now I will use my Yamaha 9.9 for budget resons.

I have both the 9.9 Yamaha with a remote handle and. The Tohatsu 6hp. The Tohatsu is a great option as it pushes the boat pretty well, and is light enough to take off easily.

I run 5mm ss rigging wire, and have just added spectra back stays as I now carry a code o on a bow sprit great pointing sail in lighter winds.

I'm about to buy a Seawind 24 in North QLD. It needs some work and I need to move it first. Wondering if anyone has any experience/ suggestions for moving one by road?

pagu did u buy the cat in Bowen ?

the last one I shifted we dismantled it and put in on a car float. best behind a ute so the mast can legally overhang the car. take a number of tyres for packing and protection. and lots of other padding (old pillow & towels) and 2 lengths 3X3 timber for your temp Xbeams. I measure up mine post it tomorrow & post Ill include hole crs and bore TAKE A RATTLING GUN & BATTERYS & sockets.
    With a standard car float the compressed hull centerlines will be at 1450 crs (will verify) which is about 330 in from each side of the trailer. with those dims locate the bows close to the utes tailgate leaving just enough room for u to squeeze through this will clear contact with ute tray for a reasonably tight turn.

Hi, thanks for responding! I didn't buy the boat in Bowen, no. That was quite a project that one. I found one in Hervey Bay and was pretty easy to put on back of a flat tipper truck and deliver. In the process of tidying her up now and dreams for a voyage. Cheers, Wade

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12