Thread: Shopping for Mattresses & Linens

Default Shopping for Mattresses & Linens

Hello

About to close on a leopard 47. Where can I buy new mattresses and linens for the boat? Any online store? Any recommendations? Boat is in Florida.

Best.
    D2D

Default Re: Shopping for Mattresses & Linens

These guys are very popular and will custom make any size or shape.
    http://www.comfortcustombedding.com/
    In Florida.
    BOB
    Going to the shrink 2 days in a row is making me crazy.

Get a memory foam mattress cut to order. Then buy good count sheets for it . Use a seam ripper to take the elastic off the fitted sheet. Fold the edge over and sew a small pocket to hold a draw string, think like on a dirty cloths bag. Use this to cinch down the fitted sheet. With the sheet on the mattress and the mattress on the bed, place the top sheet on and get it right where you want it. Pin it or mark it in place then sew the top sheet to the bottom sheet. I found after several trail and error that it works best if you get sheets that are a size to big, and sew the top sheet to the bottom sheet on the underneath side.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by S/V Magic Carpet View Post
    Get a memory foam mattress cut to order. Then buy good count sheets for it . Use a seam ripper to take the elastic off the fitted sheet. Fold the edge over and sew a small pocket to hold a draw string, think like on a dirty cloths bag. Use this to cinch down the fitted sheet. With the sheet on the mattress and the mattress on the bed, place the top sheet on and get it right where you want it. Pin it or mark it in place then sew the top sheet to the bottom sheet. I found after several trail and error that it works best if you get sheets that are a size to big, and sew the top sheet to the bottom sheet on the underneath side.

Dan
    I find it also helps to sew a pocket (~ 16 inches) on one end of the top sheet to keep it on the foot of the mattress. Boat mattresses generally lack the mass to hold it.

Fortunately, my PDQ takes standard linens!
    "When I was a boy, what was so was so, what was not was not. Now I am a man, things have changed a lot. Some things nearly so, some things nearly not. Is a puzzlement."

The King of Siam

http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/

Kind of the same idea. But the top sheet is sewn to the fitted sheet, which is cinched tight with a draw string. This keeps the whole lot in place. I forget to add that a draw string lock is used to keep the fitted sheet cinched down tight. You can get them at any sewing store or department store (Wal-mart).

Dan

Check out linens made from bamboo. They are supposed to pass moisture better than cotton. They also don't absorb salt in the air like cotton, and therefore don't retain that slightly "damp" feel that cotton sheets have.

Full disclosure here: we have not tried them yet, but will be buying some soon when we outfit our boat.

I'm from Bermuda, CareFree currently in Grenada

We purchased bamboo bed sheets and towels for our recently purchased Antares 44, as we understand them to be naturally mildew resistant and quick drying. We have been happy with them so far. Bamboo is smooth and soft so they are comfortable to sleep on and the towels do dry well.

Quote Originally Posted by gholmes View Post
    We purchased bamboo bed sheets and towels for our recently purchased Antares 44, as we understand them to be naturally mildew resistant and quick drying. We have been happy with them so far. Bamboo is smooth and soft so they are comfortable to sleep on and the towels do dry well.
    How long is "so far".

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by d2d View Post
    Hello

About to close on a leopard 47. Where can I buy new mattresses and linens for the boat? Any online store? Any recommendations? Boat is in Florida.

Best.
    D2D
    These are places I looked.
    But sold the boat.

http://www.mattressbymail.com/

http://www.thecompanystore.com/

http://www.sleepymountainmattress.com/

I'm from Bermuda, CareFree currently in Grenada

Quote Originally Posted by therapy View Post
    How long is "so far".

Thanks.
    We have had them for about 4 months with no issues and they are very comfortable to sleep in.

Quote Originally Posted by gholmes View Post
    We have had them for about 4 months with no issues and they are very comfortable to sleep in.
    Thanks.

I really like the idea that they don't absorb the salty moisture like cotton containing fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by d2d View Post
    Hello

Best.
    D2D
    You can save lots of $$ if you buy a standard queen or king memory foam mattress and cut the custom shape yourself. Make a pattern out of plastic (6 mil) or paper and trace the outline on your foam. Cut the foam with a standard kitchen-type electric knife using a bread cutting blade. The electric knife will cut the foam quickly & it's easy to do.

Try Wal Mart, Costco or Sams Club for mattresses. We used a Wal Mart memory foam for years with good results.

Greg

FWIW "Bamboo" may well just mean Viscose/Rayon.

From the Rayon page on wikipedia:

In early 2010, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission warned several retailers that six major manufacturers were falsely labeling rayon products as "bamboo", in order to appeal to environmentally conscious consumers. While rayon may be produced with bamboo as a raw material, and the two may be used for similar fabrics (though natural bamboo is not as smooth), rayon is so far removed from bamboo by chemical processing that the two are entirely separate.

Not a great fan of 100% memory foam, especially when it gets hot. I have new foam for my stateroom which is 2 inches hgh density foam, 2 inches soft foam, and 1 inch memory foam. I really wanted to go 2 inches of memory foam as well, but that meant having to remove a bunk cushion to get into a cupboard!

I have the foam cut in half down the middle, but a quilted cushion cover over it which holds both halfs, so they dont seperate in the middle of the night. Makes it easy to get under the bunk, which is a nice stowage for charts.
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

[quote=Talbot;53426]Not a great fan of 100% memory foam, especially when it gets hot. I have new foam for my stateroom which is 2 inches hgh density foam, 2 inches soft foam, and 1 inch memory foam. I really wanted to go 2 inches of memory foam as well, but that meant having to remove a bunk cushion to get into a cupboard!

Good point on memory foam. We have 4 inches of conventional foam (original mattress) which is fairly dense topped with 3 inches of memory foam. We find it more comfortable than any other mattress we have found including those on land.

Does anyone know what kind of mattress the Outremer 5x uses, or at least the one that was at Miami's Strictly Sail last month? It was extremely comfortable and we want to order the same for our boat.

I've attached a picture of the mattress in case that helps figure out what it is.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is your boat not coming with mattresses? We like our stock leopards mattress as long as it has the Froli sleep system under it and a memory foam topper with cooling beads!! We sleep heavenly....we have also used the froli obn our rior boats mattress with same effect
    Last edited by HappyEnding; 1st April 2014 at 12:29 AM.

As to linens, I do my own custom fitting:

Get some 'conventional' linens you like, sized a bit bigger than the mattress. Cut off the elastic 'boxing,' about 6-8 inches in from the elastic, making sure that you either don't cut the elastic or tack it down if you do cut through it.

You now have a strip of elasticized material and a flat rectangular piece of material. Lay the rectangular bit on top of your mattress and pattern out the shape of the mattress, giving a seam allowance around that (I use 1/2"). Then sew your boxing back to the shaped piece. You might have a bit extra of boxing, just make your seam where it lies and cut off the extra boxing, again making sure the elastic is tacked down. Voilá, custom fitted sheet

As to linens, I do my own custom fitting:

Voilá, custom fitted sheet

Excellent tip, easy when you know how.

These folks are extremely famous and will hand craft any size or shape. https://bit.ly/2GLP8nJ
    Thanks...