Thread: Health Insurance

Default Health Insurance

We are going to begin our life onboard soon as US citizens cruising full time, but spending over 6 months abroad. We are looking for health insurance and know the options out there, but have no practical experience of how satisfied people who actually use them have been. Ideally we would like a policy that we can use both in US and anywhere else. They all sound like they would work, but not sure how they work for people actually attempting to use them. Anyone out there with feedback on how happy or unhappy they have been would be helpful.

thanks

Default Re: Health Insurance

It might help, Truckman, if you could say roughly where you plan to go cruising. Cuba might be different to Panama, or to the various Caribbean countries, for example.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

We will be traveling throughout the world on the boat. All the usual places.

My wife and I used "Four Corners" sold by Blue Water insurance.
    My wife got hurt in Spain and spent a week in the hospital there (My wife is a US citizen).

The insurance was the best we could have hoped for. They took care of everything. We paid our deductible, signed a few papers and it was finished. No hassle, no fuss and great service.

We hope to leave again in a few years time, and we'll certainly use the same nice folks at Blue water insurance to get our health insurance.

My wife was 33 and the rates were $700 or so a year. This was 2007.

Cheers, and good luck.

Paul.

BUPA International - Do Worldwide Cover including evacuation. Annual premium is based on where you begin your cruising year or where you intend to spend the majority of the time. It is cheaper for areas outside the US as you would expect. There is also a Scandinavian Company that do a similar cover. These are true medical/health policies not just accident/travel policies.

Health Insurance is good for everyone because no one knows what happen in another second of life. Health Insurance is specially made for that people who are permanent patients and suffer from a critical disease.

Looks like the previous post may be phishing?

My wife is a US citizen and she's been delayed in Greece for medical reasons. She's insured with Kaiser in Ca I'll let you know how the treatment costs worked out for her. She had 2 doctors visits plus a course of treatment.

Had it been me who got ill in Greece then as a EU citizen of course the treatment would have been free, even though I am not Greek

I would try general long stay travel insurance. That's what I have for up to 18 months at a time. Right now I have 6 months world cover, including USA and Canada for GBP150. I'm hoping my insurers will pay out for for my bags as American Airline have lost them between Miami and the Bahamas, where I now am. In the past I have also had health insurance added to my yacht insurance.

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Designs View Post
    . . . as American Airline have lost them between Miami and the Bahamas,
    Richard Woods of Woods Designs
    That must have taken some skill. Were there many stops on the way?

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

My apologies for my earlier post, I didn't notice the old date

The problem is there are many islands in the Bahamas. It appears my luggage is in Nassau (or it maybe Nashville, I'm not very good with Hispanic voices on the phone) while I am in Marsh Harbour, fortunately, for once, weather bound

In another post someone asked what happens to boats that have been sitting around on the hard for too long unused. You can add loose hose clamps and split pumps to the list, never mind non rotating wind indicators

Richard Woods

Health insurance is good for everyone because no one knows what will happen in another second of life