Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Purchasing a Seawind 1160

Default Re: Purchasing a Seawind 1160

Thanks Therapy. Does any one know where Seawind hides their isolator?

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Stairs View Post
    Thanks Therapy. Does any one know where Seawind hides their isolator?
    On our boat, the isolator sits on top of the 240V switchboard/ breaker box in the upper locker immediately forward of the nav desk. It sits within a large heat sink.

The Seawind 1160 is an excellent boat. We looked carefully at (and sailed several) 1160's during our 4-yr vessel search. Like Therapy, we were put off by the berth, altho more for its high position and limited headroom rather than the length. We also didn't like the sloped saloon windows for (1) the admitted sun/heat; (2) the sloped/cluttered deck above; and (3) the resulting restricted (through the sloped glass) visibility. Still, there are many clever and attractive features on the 1160.
    ...throw off the bowlines...sail away from safe harbor...catch the winds in your sails...EXPLORE...DREAM...DISCOVER
    Mark Twain
    www.floatingimpressions.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by D&D View Post
    The Seawind 1160 is an excellent boat. ...... we were put off by the berth,..... the sloped saloon windows for (1) the admitted sun/heat; (2) the sloped/cluttered deck above; and (3) the resulting restricted (through the sloped glass) visibility. Still, there are many clever and attractive features on the 1160.
    Every boat is a compromise. The biggest compromise is normally the price. Do I like my Privilege - yes very much, but that does not blind me to factors that others might not like, or even those that I would prefer were different. However, for price and features, I dont think I could have done better. There are as you say, some very good features of the Seawind models - and their performance is nice as well.
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Quote Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
    Every boat is a compromise.
    Amen.
    ...throw off the bowlines...sail away from safe harbor...catch the winds in your sails...EXPLORE...DREAM...DISCOVER
    Mark Twain
    www.floatingimpressions.com.au

Thanks everyone for your advice. We bought or are in the process of buying a Seawind 1160 2006. Now I have to figure out what type of electronics I am going to up grade to ie. plot charter, TV, and email.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Stairs View Post
    Thanks everyone for your advice. We bought or are in the process of buying a Seawind 1160 2006. Now I have to figure out what type of electronics I am going to up grade to ie. plot charter, TV, and email.
    The fun part, adding all the goodies, Enjoy it,

Any suggestion, Ray Marine, Garmin, Furon

If I was building an 1160 (or indeed a 1250 or many other boats) now, there is a big chance I would set up a system based on on Digital Yacht Gear and a Mac Mini. Otherwise, I would probably use Raymarine e Series.

One thing I would suggest if using marine electronics is a single common manufacturer for all gear, it makes it harder for a supplier to blame the other companies widget when something doesn't work.

Andrew,

Could you start a new thread discussing how you would go about setting up a system based on on Digital Yacht Gear and a Mac Mini. Would be interesting and informative.

I was at a course recently where someone suggested something similar.

Sure

Give me a few days till I can get to a better net connect, I am in northern Vietnam at the moment. Its slow and patchy. I also need to give the whole thing more of a thought. But will probably start by pricing a Raymarine integrated system to establish a bench mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmultis View Post
    Sure

Give me a few days till I can get to a better net connect, I am in northern Vietnam at the moment. Its slow and patchy. I also need to give the whole thing more of a thought. But will probably start by pricing a Raymarine integrated system to establish a bench mark.

Aboard the boat - wherever the anchor is down.

I installed a galvanic isolator on my SW 1160, Double-Wide. It was an easy job and did prevent any stray current on board from affecting the boat. I noticed my zincs lasted much longer after installation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12