Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing a Seawind 1160

Question Purchasing a Seawind 1160

I am going down to Florida to look at three Seawind 1160's (2 2005's and a 2007) to hopefully buy one. Anyone got any suggestions on what to look for. One person suggested looking at the sail drives for corrosion. Suggesting that the Seawind's were prone to electrolysis.

Default Re: Purchasing a Seawind 1160

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Stairs View Post
    I am going down to Florida to look at three Seawind 1160's (2 2005's and a 2007) to hopefully buy one. Anyone got any suggestions on what to look for. One person suggested looking at the sail drives for corrosion. Suggesting that the Seawind's were prone to electrolysis.
    Hello and welcome. Commonsense is the main requirement when assessing a boat. Take you time and go over everything. Then get a professional survey done of your preferred one so as to check the aspects you can't/don't see.

Good luck!

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

I would suggest corrosion can occur on any saildrive on any brand boat not just Seawinds. My opinion is biased but to me Seawind is at the absolute top of production built cats.

Quote Originally Posted by smj View Post
    I would suggest corrosion can occur on any saildrive on any brand boat not just Seawinds. My opinion is biased but to me Seawind is at the absolute top of production built cats.
    Thanks the corrosion issue really worries me. I have tried to contact Seawind but I never get an answer from them

Thanks the corrosion issue really worries me. I have tried to contact Seawind but I never get an answer from them
    Corrosion on a saildrive is not a manufacturer problem, but is entirely an owner maintenance problem. The zincs inside the drive, as well as those behind the propellor (and in some cases on the propellor itself) need changing, and most of these demand that the boat iis dried out to do so - hence zincs not changed as often as they should be. If the marina has an earth problem (or even if the boat next to you does), then zincs can wear out very quickly. The saildrive legs being aluminium, are the next item to go once the zincs are gone!!

I have two massive zincs on cables linked to the engine earth which I put in the water when secured alongside in order to try to avoid this problem
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Quote Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
    I have two massive zincs on cables linked to the engine earth which I put in the water when secured alongside in order to try to avoid this problem
    Good morning,

Can you give some more detail on how this done and works?

Thank you in advance for the info.

Mike

Who and where have you tried to contact? And what would you like to know

On the issue of sail drive corrosion, the seawind is no worse or better than any other production boat fitted with Yanmar Diesel engines. Its purely a maintenance issue. Replace the anodes in accordance with Yanmars advice and all should be good.

Talbots approach is also valid, and indeed can be very useful if you are experiencing rapid loss of zinc or even as a precaution in visiting a new marina. Bit fiddly to get to but the whole theory of galvanic action is still at work.

Quote Originally Posted by mbuckner View Post
    ................Can you give some more detail on how this done and works?..............
    Zinc on a cable Like this

bolted to one of the bolts on the stern gantry , where the bolt goes through the hull to the engine room. Another connection inside the engine room connecting to the saildrive earth.

I have two bags made from sumbrella hanging on the stern gantry to drop the anode and its cable into when out of the water. Only problem is remembering to haul it out of the water before starting an engine!

bolted to one of the bolts on the stern gantry , where the bolt goes through the hull to the engine room. Another connection inside the engine room connecting to the saildrive earth.

I have two bags made from sumbrella hanging on the stern gantry to drop the anode and its cable into when out of the water. Only problem is remembering to haul it out of the water before starting an engine!
    On average, how often do the bags need to be refilled?

Regards,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mbuckner View Post
    On average, how often do the bags need to be refilled?

Thank you for your prompt reply and information ...

Mike

Talbot, that is some scary corrosion
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmultis View Post
    Who and where have you tried to contact? And what would you like to know

On the issue of sail drive corrosion, the seawind is no worse or better than any other production boat fitted with Yanmar Diesel engines. Its purely a maintenance issue. Replace the anodes in accordance with Yanmars advice and all should be good.

Talbots approach is also valid, and indeed can be very useful if you are experiencing rapid loss of zinc or even as a precaution in visiting a new marina. Bit fiddly to get to but the whole theory of galvanic action is still at work.

I found out that it was not the Zincs but a lack of a Galvanic Isolator on a 2005 model. I can't image why that was not a standard.

I have tried to send emails to them via their web site but to no avail.

Talbot, is it my imagination or does that zinc carving of a mermaid have three breasts? If so, does she have a real-life 100% human sister and do you have her phone number?

That mermaid is a solid lump of Zinc, It dissolves as the corrosion eats it instead of the aluminium on your boat,

Look at the legs on your drive shaft, it will have round or oblong zincs bolted on it, if they are dissolving, they need replacing,

I replace mine when they are half gone, eaten away, Half dissolved, Replace the bolts and clean the area behind where the zincs were, It needs to be clean for the zincs to fit up solidly and tightly to the drive legs for maximum efficiency,

Couple of dollars each, maybe even $20-00 depending on where you buy them.

Two drive legs, your looking at 2 or 3 on each, or thereabouts,

They do last quite a while, unless your in a really Hot Marina,

On the hook, they take a long time to dissolve,

Quote Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
    Talbot, is it my imagination or does that zinc carving of a mermaid have three breasts? If so, does she have a real-life 100% human sister and do you have her phone number?
    I think that cute midget chick in Total Recall had 3 breasts. Do you want her phone number?

There is another external factor governing corrosion: stray electrical currents in a marina. This and poor maintenance account for all but the most mysterious effects of Devine Retribution in the galvanic corrosion arena. The latter apply to owners rather than brands of vessels. So if you can't get right with God, at least get neutral.

Our SW1160 (#100, built 2011) has a galvanic isolator. It is fitted as a routine if you have shore power wiring installed. The Yanmar saildrives and Gori props are well-provided with zinc anodes. I think that your fears are not well-founded.

I think that is a nice boat.

Can't help you with specifics.

Only two things I can remember I did not like;

Access to the port engine.
    Lines back to the cockpit right where one walks.

Oh, and the bunk. Never one long enough for 6'4".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast