Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lagoon 39

Default Lagoon 39

She will be at the Paris show in desember. and in germany in januar.
    She is a smaller sister to the new L52.

http://www.katamaran.no/index.php/modeller/lagoon-39

starts at 205k euros.

Default Re: Lagoon 39

Well, the layout seems practical:

But this has to be the ugliest Lagoon ever designed:

What were they thinking?

The 39 looks much like the 400, except the rigg position. And the 400 sells around 100 units per years so quite OK I'd guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
    But this has to be the ugliest Lagoon ever designed: What were they thinking?
    they weren't - I dont mind ugly when its driven by function, the current crop of F1 cars aren't pretty but the lagoon has no excuse for that much ugliness.

Default Re: Lagoon 39 link - English

Here is a link to the specs of the Lagoon 39, which I just got in an email and a link to it on their site:

http://www.cata-lagoon.com/emailing/1112/index_uk.htm

http://www.cata-lagoon.com/lagoon_39...ntation_uk.php

I was wondering if this spells the end of the L380, but both are still listed under Models on the cata-lagoon site.

Marshall
    "People sail for fun and no one has yet convinced me that it's more fun to go slow than it is to go fast." -- Dick Newick

Now cruising in the SUN! On my way to Malta.

So what is behind moving the mast back behind the midship length position? Are they going back to the old Prout concept?
    Roger

------------------
    I look to the future, because that's where I am going to spend the rest of my life - George Burns

Quote Originally Posted by multihullsailor6 View Post
    So what is behind moving the mast back behind the midship length position? Are they going back to the old Prout concept?
    In their write-up they claim it is for better sailing performance based on their designer's racing experience.

A bit further down it says it is for easier handling with the big foresail, and to get a smaller, easier to handle, mainsail. But very tall of course to reach the stronger winds!!

Sounds like marketing talk to make it easy for charterers, who will then motor anyway.

Mike
    Last edited by dmmbruce; 20th November 2012 at 08:26 PM.
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Lagoon are now marketing the 39 on their website: http://www.cata-lagoon.com/lagoon_39...ntation_uk.php

What I find most worrying is this pic of the owners cabin:

Look closely at the top bookshelf. There's a book with Psychotherapy written on it. And on the bottom shelf the writing on the books is the wrong way round. This is a hidden warning from Lagoon that this boat is so fugly it will mess with your mind. Even the photoshopping skills of the whole Lagoon marketing department couldn't make it look good.

On the website Lagoon says the woodwork is made out of "reconstituted wood" as if it's some kind of desirable feature that we all want. If I was running the Lagoon marketing department I wouldn't have put this in the sales blurb, I'd have buried it somewhere in the middle of page 27 of the small print, next to the bit about you needing psychotherapy.

I think Lagoon tried to make the inside nice so you wouldn't want to go out on deck to see what your boat really looks like.

Oh sweet mother of God

To be honest I'd be embarrassed to turn up at the dock in a Lagoon 39. If someone gave me one I'd make sure it was well insured before taking it offshore; the Mid-Atlantic Ridge should be far enough, then I'd scuttle the bloody thing.

This is a boat that could lose you friends. And probably your family.

Be afraid.

For a boat that is larger than mine, there is very poor use of space.

I think mine looks a bit better as well!
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

This is a hidden warning from Lagoon that this boat is so fugly it will mess with your mind.
    Nice one.

I totally agree with you. I used to own a Lagoon 410 and that wasn't exactly pretty, but this is just plug ugly.

Cheers
    Cliff

Ugly and wont sail well, the small main big heady rig will see even less performance than usual, and as for pointing, If it can do better than 60 Degrees I will be amazed

Nice to see so many open minds! I can understand if the looks don't appeal to someone personally, but beauty is very clearly relative. I have always LIKED the looks of Lagoons and find the new 39 quite nice.

From the inside it is far more desirable than the cave like appearance of so many vessels today that use extremely slanted windows and then have to cover them to keep the sun at bay. From the outside, it looks more modern to me than many. But just because some designs don't appeal to ME, I would simply state that I don't care for the look, or that I prefer something different. I find some of the judgments here pretty harsh. Time will tell if others find it attractive, I suspect it will end up being very popular.

As for the sailing performance, I suspect they have some idea of what they are doing, and I am very interested in seeing how it performs. Lagoon is not the only company that is taking this approach. Freeflow cats also have a similar take on positioning the rig, and state similar benefits. In any case I do plan to keep an open mind.

Maybe Lagoon is putting their DESIGN BUDGET into GREAT SAILING PERFORMANCE. Where is the tongue in cheek thingy?
    Found itThanks
    On a serious side. Is the multihull market loosing the plot?

What I find most worrying is this pic of the owners cabin:

Look closely at the top bookshelf. There's a book with Psychotherapy written on it. And on the bottom shelf the writing on the books is the wrong way round. This is a hidden warning from Lagoon that this boat is so fugly it will mess with your mind. Even the photoshopping skills of the whole Lagoon marketing department couldn't make it look good.
    Intriguing that business about the titles on those book spines being mirror imaged. But that's because the image hasn't been photoshopped, but just horizontally flipped - so you get a mirror effect with the writing. In other words, if that cabin is, in reality, on the port side of the boat, here it is showing as being a starboard cabin. Geddit - or clear as mud?

(I suspect few will give a damn either way!)

Karen

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
    Nice to see so many open minds! I can understand if the looks don't appeal to someone personally, but beauty is very clearly relative. I have always LIKED the looks of Lagoons and find the new 39 quite nice.
    When I started sailing - some 55 years ago - I thought this (A 95 m2 skærgårdskryssare) was the most pretty type of boat. That has changed long time ago.

Many Lagoons are sold to power boat owners...and they use them as motorsailers - there is nothing wrong with that, I think
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by django View Post
    ........Many Lagoons are sold to power boat owners...and they use them as motorsailers - there is nothing wrong with that, I think
    That is why the catfisher is still quite popular. Great accomodation but .....
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Intriguing that business about the titles on those book spines being mirror imaged. But that's because the image hasn't been photoshopped, but just horizontally flipped - so you get a mirror effect with the writing. In other words, if that cabin is, in reality, on the port side of the boat, here it is showing as being a starboard cabin. Geddit - or clear as mud?

(I suspect few will give a damn either way!)

Karen

Karen
    Then why aren't the books on the top shelf reversed?

Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    Then why aren't the books on the top shelf reversed?
    Because the books were photoshopped in:

...Even the photoshopping skills of the whole Lagoon marketing department couldn't make it look good.
    I think Karen must have, ahem, 'missed' that part of my post. Whoosh!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Au contraire! Try flipping the pic in your fave image program... like Photoshop The print on the bottom shelf books will then look correct but the print on the top shelf books will then be to cock. The books have been photoshopped into the picture after it was taken. Hence my comment.

The books have been photoshopped into the picture after it was taken.
    I tend to disagree. I'm pretty sure all images of the 39 are 3D renderings. Not one single real world photo.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast