Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Lagoon 39

Default Re: Lagoon 39

Here are the last pict I have from Paris, they where on my phone...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the pics.. Beautiful boat.. With the 380, 39 and 400 im struggling to understand Lagoon's strategy here. I'd love to have seen this boat as a 36 so i squeeze her on to a 10m x2 birth.. If lagoon can do this they'll sell them by the boat load.. (pun intended).

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

My Solaris Sunstream 40 has a mast mounted at the companionway, albeit not as far astern as on the Lagoon 39 since I have essentially a center cockpit. I see a number of advantages to the same:
    1. The mast is stepped at what is probably the strongest part of the bridgedeck structure - the companionway bulkhead.
    2. It enables halyards and reefing lines to enter the cockpit without the need for (and the friction caused by) multiple turning blocks.
    3. It enables a cutter or Solent rig, which permits a dedicated staysail/storm jib. If (as on my boat) it is a cutter rig with roller reefing, one can deploy the staysail/storm jib without the need to go on deck in heavy weather. This saves wear on the headsail in heavy conditions, ensures proper sheeting angles and moves the Ce of the storm jib lower and back from the bow. Frankly, it is ideal for a cruising boat, IMO.
    4. It makes the mainsail smaller and hence easier to hoist without the need for an electric winch.

Sadly, Lagoon chose to forego making a Solent or cutter rig available, even as an option. As it stands, it would seem that the main advantage for Lagoon was in the cost savings derived through the need for less running rigging.

There are a number of other aspects to the design/execution which I find unfortunate:
    1. The instrument panels for the diesels are mounted down by the helmsperson's feet!
    2. The only footrest for the elevated helm seat is a small hand (toe?) hold on the forward bulkhead. Perhaps it really is intended as a hand hold in case the helmsperson wants to lie down to look at the tachometers/warning lights!
    3. The curved track for the self-tacking jib is far too short to permit proper sail trim on any point of sail except going to windward.
    4. Ventilation is marginal in the main saloon/galley - there are no overhead hatches and, apart from at the companionway, the only ventilation is from the two plastic opening ports in the foreward fixed portlights. Note that additional hatches are not even an option. One would assume that Lagoon is hoping to sell a number of boats with the generator/air conditioning packages.
    5. The use of sharp-edged interior joinerwork with only wood-like veneer, rather than solid wood on the edges of various drawers, etc.

When I first saw the line drawings I was hopeful that they were producing a proper cruising boat. Certainly, the bridgedeck clearance seems better than on some early Lagoons and, again, the mast location would be perfect for a cutter/solent rig. As always, of course, the devil is in the details and the Lagoon 39, at least at this stage, seems primarily intended as a roomy, cheap to produce boat that is easy to sail, albeit to sail inefficiently.

Brad
    Last edited by Southern Star; 21st December 2012 at 10:02 PM. Reason: sp

Thanks for these thoughtful comments (as compared with 'it looks ugly' ). I also agree with those who noticed the cupboard on the benchtop opening over the counter which gets really annoying after about one day (and scrapes the bench).

Quote Originally Posted by magenta View Post
    To me until now wath look good about it compare to the 380 is that now:

- All maneuver are back to the steering station.
    - Chart table looking front (almost)
    - Direct access to the steering station from the cockpit

"Fair Winds and Following Seas." everybody
    Well Magenta, when i sail our 380 i have it all in front of me, its only when i want to go with the Genakker or the Parasailor i ned to hoist it on the stb winch, and thats the arm, jobb.

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydo View Post
    Thanks for the pics.. Beautiful boat.. With the 380, 39 and 400 im struggling to understand Lagoon's strategy here. I'd love to have seen this boat as a 36 so i squeeze her on to a 10m x2 birth.. If lagoon can do this they'll sell them by the boat load.. (pun intended).
    They did try, but it ended up to costly. that is a 36.
    ------
    And why they make 380,39,400,420 ++ is to give all of us something to choose
    from, some like the 380, others will love the 39, and there will also be a lot of 400 lovers.

remeber, we did not all merry the same girl.
    Last edited by Careka; 6th January 2013 at 12:05 AM.

Saw the L39 today at Boot in Dusseldorf.
    I like it.
    Even the shower on the 2 cabin side is big enough for me.
    What I didn't like is the sliding partition to privatize a hull.
    It also cover the escape window. So if the partition gets stuck when you turtle it (And that is not an unthinkable situation, it getting stuck not the L39 turning turtle) you will not be able to get to the window.

Quote Originally Posted by D-OCHO View Post
    Saw the L39 today at Boot in Dusseldorf.
    I like it.
    Even the shower on the 2 cabin side is big enough for me.
    What I didn't like is the sliding partition to privatize a hull.
    It also cover the escape window. So if the partition gets stuck when you turtle it (And that is not an unthinkable situation, it getting stuck not the L39 turning turtle) you will not be able to get to the window.
    I'm sorry but this IMHO is terribly nit picky. The escape hatch gets blocked due to a malfunction of the owner's hull door after you capsize?

Might be nit picky but like I said I like the boat but it has some problems.

Good to see that they dropped the L380's pokey (and, in our view, really useless) nav station in favour of a forward-facing version with more reasonable desk area. The nav station placement, however, is a mystery...portside vis-a-vis the primary watch-keeping needs to starboard...as it is on many other vessels of course.

There's quite a lengthy and informative thread on the L39 over on CF as well.
    ...throw off the bowlines...sail away from safe harbor...catch the winds in your sails...EXPLORE...DREAM...DISCOVER
    Mark Twain
    www.floatingimpressions.com.au

Default Lagoon 39

Hull # 99 of the L39 is sailing north to Norway now.

Are you hoping it will be warm in Norway soon?

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

off topic,
    but yes. we have seen above 10C some days now, and it is getting green again on the trees
    Al sails are up, Regattas on Wednesdays have started so life is good. again

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456