Thread: No more going up the mast?????

Default No more going up the mast?????

From other threads, I get the impression that it is now practical to use a camera mounted on the mast to view what is ahead in a tropical anchorage. Is this true? Who has done it? What sort of monitor do you need to make it work? Will it work connected to the larger Raymarine display?

It would be wonderful if it worked.

Brian Rodwell

Default Re: No more going up the mast?????

Hopefully Paul can give us an answer to this as he has this kit on his boat specifically for looking for coral.
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Yes I have a low light and a heat detection camera mounted on top of the mast. Both can be viewed on the Raymarine chart plotter via its video inputs.

Until we reached USA a simple bnc connection issue at the top of the mast prevented its use and since, after it was fixed in Laudercdale, no coral navigation. So cannot really help but plan to post a video on its use after this season in the Bahamas.

What we have found is the forward sonar to be helpful providing you are motoring slowly.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

Smile Re: No more going up the mast?????

Sounds good.
    Could you give more details on the particular camera you are using:

• Can you move the camera and zoom in and out?
    • What do you use the heat detection for?
    • What did it cost?

Do you have any plans for using it beyond checking for coral?

Thanks

Brian Rodwell

Ocean View is the make- a very good company indeed offering greatafter sales support.

I think it was about the $10,000 to $13,000range for the HD twin system but it may be cheaper now.

Yes - rotates, tilts up/down and zooms.

Heat detection for security when at anchor and no light or for entering bays/harbours in the dark it even picks up floating objects such as a floating tree in total darkness because there is a thermal gradient.

We picked up someone hiding in the bushes by our boat when we were in Grenada and reported the person - turned out he was just catching crabs.

We plan to use it for security, coral spotting and when in tricky places at night.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

The Ocean View camera is very sophisticated but the lowest price I could find was $10,000. Ouch!

The thermal and image enhancing functions are fun and useful but for me not absolute must-haves. And I could get cheap (and significantly inferior) thermal and image enhancing functions from a monocular.
    So I am left with the core function of wanting to check anchorages for coral in the daytime without climbing the mast.

The best I can find is a conventional and fixed boat camera - the IRIS020. It costs $196. I still haven't heard yet from anyone that has successfully used such a camera in this way.

I am interested in critical feedback on this approach.

Brian Rodwell

What are the specs of that camera - resolution etc?
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Here is what you can get online about the IRIS020:

http://www.boat-cameras.com/product....dID=28&CatID=1

Brian Rodwell

Update from makers of IRIS Cameras

I contacted IRIS and this was their comment:

"Brian

Thanks for your interest in IRIS Marine Cameras.

Your idea doesn't sound far fetched at all. Although I couldn't give you names and details of particular customers who use their camera in this way, I am 100% certain that many IRIS end users do use the camera as a crows nest look out. There are several cameras that I would recommend for the job, if cost is your driver, our IRIS060 is a good bet, it has a 3.6mm lens and as its a ball in cup design works equally well inverted or upright.
    If you have a little more budget, you should consider our IRIS116. The 116 is a fully controllable Pan/Tilt/Zoom camera with either 28X or 36X optical zoom enabling you to look around from the spreader in all directions and zoom in on any desirable location or target.
    To give you an idea of cost, the IRIS060 has a retail price of $476.80 where the IRIS 116 runs in at $3,024.00 plus a controller at $816.00.

I will attach our current catalogue for your attention. You can order directly from us with a credit card or wire transfer.
    Thanks again, any questions please get back to me.
    Best Wishes
    Tony Digweed"

So I am now favouring their IRIS060. I have asked for technical specs for both and will pass them on when received.

Brian Rodwell

Yes - the horizontal and vertical resolution is critical.

I am still sceptical.

Cheers
    Paul
    Safe Sailing
    Paul