Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bought a boat - Grainger G1060

Default bought a boat - Grainger G1060

So I finally bought a catamaran - a Tony Grainger designed G1060. It is a thing of beauty and a joy to behold, plus it sails fast and is really comfy.
    Really nicely built of foam core epoxy by Colin Mcgregor of Tasmania, launched 2007. Colin made a few mods in consultation with Tony Grainger - put the swim platform on the sterns making it 11m overall, carbon fibre crossbeam, extended the hardtop and added raincatcher gutters.
    He also built a scale model of the boat before construction and realised that the lower-shrouds running out to the gunwale chainplates would obstruct your passage forward, so went back to Grainger and arranged a mod whereby the lowers came down to the cabin sides and added carbon straps inside to take the added loads. These straps double as dead handy handholds as you go downstairs into the hulls.
    Colin built the boat to take him and his wife around Australia but the trip never came off. The thought and attention to detail he put into the boat make it a fantastic boat to move onto; there's hardly anything to do. Need to add a screecher, but the prodder and stays are already there.160 watts of solar. Daggerboards, but small beaching keels so the boat will take the sand nicely which will save me a bundle on slipping. A pair of 3 cylinder Beta diesels, shaft drive, folding props. He got a mirror film put on the saloon windows which is amazingly effective at keeping the heat out, and makes you invisible inside when you're spying on other boats. Plus it looks really cool, like the boat is wearing mirror sunnies.
    It's ironic I ended up buying a boat in Tasmania cos I was sure we would buy in Europe or the Americas somewhere; I was dead keen on an Outremer 43, and still rate them as a great cat. The 43's we viewed that fell inside our budget were around 1990 vintage, and needed painting and upgrading. Nothing beyond my capabilities, but there are acres of gelcoat on a 43 foot cat. Also, O 43's of that vintage had U shaped settees, which are a no-no for proper loafing, in my opinion. And I just looked at the size of the main and the rig and the gear and came round to the idea that the smallest boat you can comfortably live on will be easier and cheaper to run for two people, than the biggest boat you can afford to buy.
    And saw the Grainger for sale in Tassie, flew down a boatbuilding mate from Melbourne to do a survey for me, and when he gave it the double thumbs up, started making moves to buy. And here we are, totally delighted.

A special thanks to Factor, who quietly gave me some good advice early on in the buy. We'll be heading up to Sydney in a while to get some things done, but eventually we'll be passing your way Factor so we'll drop in for a coldy and a look.

I'd like to get a blog going eventually so any advice regarding best free blog hosting etc gratefully received.

Happy days, regards all Groover
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ocean_groover; 19th November 2012 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Got photos sorted

Default Re: bought a boat - Grainger G1060

Congratulations.

And what a very attractive boat.

Good luck. No wonder you are happy.

Mike

PS - do you need a forum burgee to go with it??
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Congratulations, Groover.

I agree with Mike, that's a very nice looking cat.

The Grainger 1060 is like most of Tony's work, sensible attractive and sails well. A good one will be a pleasure to own.

Re websites, Dilligara is via a free wordpress site which I have found easy to use.

Well done with that purchase - looks great! Hope you have many happy miles of sailing on her.
    Roger

------------------
    I look to the future, because that's where I am going to spend the rest of my life - George Burns

Well done!

That is a lovely looking boat. Just looks right

Why can't the big boys make something like that?

Thanks all we are stoked. We went for a sail down the Huon River today. You have to dodge a few fish farms but there's miles of flat water to go blasting about in. Joh my partner cracked 10.4 knots and she was pretty happy with that. We used to sail a 37 foot mono and if you did 10.4 knots in that you were probably hanging on for grim death, however today we were mostly grinning like idiots.
    Dodged into Randall Bay to sit out fresh northerlies expected with a cold front overnight.
    Here's the panorama view.

Help my photo turned sideways! Anyone know how to fix it?
    Last edited by ocean_groover; 20th November 2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: my photo turned sideways

Quote Originally Posted by ocean_groover View Post

I'd like to get a blog going eventually so any advice regarding best free blog hosting etc gratefully received.
    Another vote for WordPress.

I have tried several and that seems as good or better than the others.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Groover,

All the best and smooth sailing. Great looking boat.

Marshall
    "People sail for fun and no one has yet convinced me that it's more fun to go slow than it is to go fast." -- Dick Newick

Good bridge deck clearance, looks great .. Good luck

Landlocked in the UK, thankfully near a lake

Congratulations.

No wonder you are delighted, she is a very nice looking cat.

Can't go wrong with a Grainger. Great looking boat, many congrats! Hope to run into you (not literally) on the east coast somewhere!

Nice thanks all for the feedback. I'll have a look at wordpress. 44C we look forward to a catchup on the east coast somewhere, like to see your boat. Bob Oram designs were also on our shortlist, consider him somewhat of a multihull visionary.
    Here's what a Tassie sky looks like when a trough moves through. Joh my trusty offsider sticks her head up for inspection but don't seem inclined to get out of bed yet.

Congratulations on the Grainger. Looks a great vessel.

Grainger has some fantastic and great designs. The lightwaves are Grainger designs.

Like the Beta's also.

Quote Originally Posted by downunder View Post
    Congratulations on the Grainger. Looks a great vessel.

Grainger has some fantastic and great designs. The lightwaves are Grainger designs.
    Stanton/Overell?

Quote Originally Posted by 44C View Post
    Stanton/Overell?
    No. They were the builders and original owners of Lightwave and used Grainger for design.

Nathan Stanton has left Lightwave and since formed FreeFlow catamarans where he is the designer.

http://www.freeflowcatamarans.com.au/

I think The Perry catamaran range were also grainger designs.

Seriously cool cat.

I have 7m grainger tri, excellent designs.

Quote Originally Posted by downunder View Post
    I think The Perry catamaran range were also grainger designs.
    Yep though as the range moved into the 43 more and more of Bryan Perry;s views came in, which is no bad thing

There are many reasons to love a multi. At the moment I'm really loving my davits. One person launches or retrieves the dinghy in two minutes. This alone makes a huge difference to quality of life; the easier it is, the more you do it. Down here in Tas there are oysters and mussels in abundance, just gotta get out at low tide and pick em.
    Locals down here wait for a report on the jungle drums of a breakout from a fish farm, then everyone's out setting their nets.
    Another reason we love our cat is speed. If your anchorage looks dubious at 18:00 you can still make another spot 10 miles away before dark. Once that big main goes up, you're off. And the chef works on dinner in total high-speed comfort.
    We're anchored now in the duckpond tucked right in Barnes Bay on Bruny Island. Total peace from howling westerlies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast