Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woods Rhea Martinique

Default Woods Rhea Martinique

Anyone Seen this boat or know any of it's history? I know it's moved around a bit.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/32825

Default Re: Woods Rhea Martinique

Quote Originally Posted by beatmongerz View Post
    Anyone Seen this boat or know any of it's history? I know it's moved around a bit.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/32825

Featured on Woods Designs web site. Built Italy. Hulls/decks/beams are Epoxy/glass over ply, center section/cuddy are foam core. Launched ~2006. Sailed to Brazil to Venezuela. On hard 3 yrs while owner returned to Italy "for personal reasons". Intended circumnav abandoned. During first sailing following recommissioning, entire rig lost overboard, apparently not recovered; recomm error, no weather. Some damage to stanchions one side. Reported "no damage to hull or decks". Also needs other "minor" items such as a seacock and probably tramps replaced. Vessel recently moved from Isla Margarita to Le Marin. Possibly a good place to find a rig.

So, at minimum, needs full rig, mainsail, head sail, roller furler gear.

It seems to me that a boat built in euros is at automatic thirty percent premium to buyer with U.S. dollars, assuming one euro will buy in euroland what one dollar will buy in U.S.; not always true, but a good rough guide. Anyone here have an opinion about this subject (exchange rates)?

Also, vessel seems low in the water in photos. Have not contacted designer to ask his opinion.

Let us know if you follow up.
    Jim

I remember a woods Flica 37 in GRP that was eventually reduced to $30K in Florida if memory serves me right. It was snapped up before I could get a bid in.

It had been at a realistic price for the boat in UK for a long time, and the owner obviously cracked and wanted rid of it.

The picture on the advert is presumably not of that boat, or at least a much earlier picture due to the rigging!, but she does seem rather deep in the water.
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Quote Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
    I remember a woods Flica 37 in GRP that was eventually reduced to $30K in Florida if memory serves me right. It was snapped up before I could get a bid in.

It had been at a realistic price for the boat in UK for a long time, and the owner obviously cracked and wanted rid of it.

The picture on the advert is presumably not of that boat, or at least a much earlier picture due to the rigging!, but she does seem rather deep in the water.
    I've been on a Palamos built Flica F4 (same as the homebuilt Flica 37) and it felt quite solidly put together. But the design is now showing it's age, which I think would account for the difficulty selling. I do like the side profile of the Flica though, and from the pic the Rhea has quite nice lines too:

The link in the OP's post shows the same pic that's on Richard Woods's website, which makes me think it was taken not so long after it was built. I'd be asking the broker if the boat for sale is exactly the same boat that's in the pic and when the pic(s) were taken.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. Lost rig, yikes. Makes you wonder what else it's about to lose.

Re: Euro - Standard of living in Europe is much cheaper, especially Italy, Poland, Spain, Greece, so lots of things are actually cheaper there. It's the British Pound that is really prohibitive. Besides Euro is coming back down soon

Quote Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
    ........ But the design is now showing it's age, which I think would account for the difficulty selling. ........
    That would account for the difficulty in selling Catalacs

Nah!!

I suspect it is more that the Woods Designs are just not that well known in USA yet.

Good point!

How the does an almost brand new boat get dismasted? Major FU.
    BOB
    Going to the shrink 2 days in a row is making me crazy.

Really sucks when your entire rig can depend one little cotter pin or ringclip.
    Doesnt look extremly roomy for a 40'+ Cat

I know no more about this boat than you do from the posts above. I never had any contact with the owner after selling the plans.

I very much doubt that a Flica 37 sold for USD30K. Normally they sell for USD100Kish. However a very badly built wood one was recently sold cheap in the UK (the marina sold it in exchange for unpaid debts).

If you want one of my 40ft catamarans with more room you should look at the 38ft Transit or 40ft Nimbus

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Designs View Post
    ......I very much doubt that a Flica 37 sold for USD30K. Normally they sell for USD100Kish. However a very badly built wood one was recently sold cheap in the UK (the marina sold it in exchange for unpaid debts).......
    It was on the market for a long time, and suddenly reduced to clear. Obviously I have no knowledge of the condition at the time, or the real sale price (perhaps it included some long term marina fees?)

I agree that the USD100kish is much more normal, so I was surprised at the time.

Someone either got a real bargain, or there was more behind it than we will ever know.

I am going to look at this boat on June 7, and I understand some others have viewed the boat.

Another posting on the forum is here:

http://www.multihulls4us.com/forums/...highlight=Rhea

Would be interested in any informAtion about the boat.

Y.

Quote Originally Posted by sailrjim View Post

Also, vessel seems low in the water in photos. Have not contacted designer to ask his opinion.

Let us know if you follow up.
    Jim
    Hi, I am going to view the boat on June 7, 2014.

It seems to be an odd layout with the center cuddy and accommodation in the hulls accessed separately. However, my goal is to get a boat that I can afford tat can accommodate my family of 6 (2 adults) in semi-comfort.

I think that the boat is also referenced here. I can't find out much about the bout - I assume because anything about it would be in Italian.

Anyways, I was wondering if anybody else had seen the boat since the last post.

And what the etiquette for posting about boats for sale on forums is.

Y.

Hi Yonas-I did not see it but a friend did. It was dismasted and neglected. He said it had potential . It sailed from Italy to VE -then Martinique and has been for sale for several years. Frankly the repair costs will be very high unless you can do much work yourself and move it to a far cheaper place than Martinique. You also must be a skilled project manager with time to closely supervise everything. Otherwise you have a expensive mess in a faraway Island. I owned a Woods Cat open bridgedeck Cat and can vouch for the designer. Having the Hulls separated just might give your big family the privacy it needs . Definitely a fast boaty. Shoot em a very low firm number and see what happens . Don't dicker.G

Quote Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
    It was on the market for a long time, and suddenly reduced to clear. Obviously I have no knowledge of the condition at the time, or the real sale price .... Someone either got a real bargain, or there was more behind it than we will ever know.
    I remember that Flica in FL fairly well. I took a look at it when the price was $55K - possibly more than 12 years ago. It had one engine to port and the entire compartment was blackened. Otherwise, it was in fairly good condition and remarkably comfortable. I also spoke to the owner briefly who, if I remember correctly, was in Mexico at the time. I do believe the final price was about $35K.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonas View Post
    And what the etiquette for posting about boats for sale on forums is.

Y.
    Go for it. No problems with advertising or discussing etc.

I wonder if you would be willing to put me in touch with your friend who did. It would be wonderful to learn more about the boat. And the information from the listing is not always consistent.

For example, I am not yet sure if there are 2 heads, or 4 heads on the boat...

I can do some of the work myself, and I am a skilled project manager.

I think that they key point would be to figure out whether to do the work in Martinique, or attempt to motor the boat elsewhere (not sure where that would be).

Y

2 heads! A great deck cabin interior with galley--

First get ths boat-- by the way it is motorable so you could motor with the wind to say ST Martin--

So maybe you could clarify a few assumptions:

Each hull is divided into two portions.
    1. The rear portion has a head and shower at the center end and a double bunk over the engine.
    2. The front portion has a bed and a sink.

Also for entry to the hulls, there is a larger entrance to the rear half of the hulls from just in
    Then each front is access through a smaller hatch at about the front of the cuddy.

You mention first get this boat -- you think it is a good boat?

And you suggest that I could motor it to St Martin. I haven't been to any Caribbean island yet.

I am a little concerned about purchasing a mast and rigging in another language. And I can't see what island would be best.

Y.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast