Thread: Searching for Nautitech owners

Default Searching for Nautitech owners

I have recently purchased a 2004 Nautitech 40 (3 cabin "Owner's version"). The boat was chartered from new in Spain and is now being shipped to Singapore. The logistics and economics of this would make a good basis for a new thread, but right now I'm just keen to see if there are other owners of Nautitech yachts keen to share ideas and discuss why our yachts seem to be under-represented in general multihull forums!

Default Re: Searching for Nautitech owners

Hello and welcome. Congratulations on your purchase.

Maybe your boats are under represented here because the awareness is not as great as with other much photographed boats. Do you have some nice pics to share - please ?

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Kind of you to reply Mike. I'm going to do a bit of work on the boat before showing off any photos.

Here's one borrowed from a google search. Hope no one will mind..

Also attaching an early boat review which is mostly complimentary and does not question the exposed twin-helm position, which subsequently became the most frequently criticised feature (though personally I favour this layout and this was one of my primary considerations in choosing this design)

Hoping the attachments work..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Your not alone Chris. I have an earlier version of your cat. It's a 1998 Nautitech 395 (3 cabin "Owner's version") which my wife and I bought new. We had it delivered to the Chesapeake Bay where we have enjoyed it for the last 15 years.

Between raising 4 kids and work, we have only been able to dream about exploring beyond the Chesapeake. Now with only one son remaining in the house and my recent retirement, we are outfitting the boat with updated electronics and other items that would be useful for extended cruising. We are replacing all the Autohelm (Raymarine) with B&G electronics. Autohelm served us well for 15 years but wanted to transition from analog to digital and enjoy all the latest advancements including broadband radar.

Here is a link to a sailing blog you might enjoy of another Nautitech 395 that has put a lot of blue water under their keels.
    http://www.sailblogs.com/member/jack.../?show=fulltoc

Happy sailing in Singapore!

Art

Hi Chris, Frist welcome to the forum,we joined about the same time.I dont own one,But poster of a 40 Nautitech I picked up at the miami boat show at least 10 years ago has been hanging on my office wall. Stan Bass SEABASS

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe au Lait View Post
    Your not alone Chris. I have an earlier version of your cat. It's a 1998 Nautitech 395 (3 cabin "Owner's version") which my wife and I bought new. We had it delivered to the Chesapeake Bay where we have enjoyed it for the last 15 years.

Between raising 4 kids and work, we have only been able to dream about exploring beyond the Chesapeake. Now with only one son remaining in the house and my recent retirement, we are outfitting the boat with updated electronics and other items that would be useful for extended cruising. We are replacing all the Autohelm (Raymarine) with B&G electronics. Autohelm served us well for 15 years but wanted to transition from analog to digital and enjoy all the latest advancements including broadband radar.

Here is a link to a sailing blog you might enjoy of another Nautitech 395 that has put a lot of blue water under their keels.
    http://www.sailblogs.com/member/jack.../?show=fulltoc

Happy sailing in Singapore!

Art
    Yes, certainly a very close relation!

Avoiding a general discussion on preferred instrumentation, I'd be interested in your views on the dilemma posed by twin helms. I'm a fan of the twin helms and I don't like the idea of prioritising one of them with instruments. But then, it would be extravagant to double-up on everything. So my plan is to have twin compact MFDs to show depth, speed and wind, and to have a centralized full screen display for chart plotter and (maybe) radar. Of course, that limits the use of the chart plotter, and contantly skipping from helm to chart table may become tedious. On the other hand, my experience with a 5" Lowrance chartplotter at the helm of my previous yacht was that waterproofing standards are better on paper than in reality..

It does seem that the cost of repeater displays is coming down, thanks to the digital technology you mention.

Hi Chris

i do strongly think i will soon become one as well i really like there design .. please let me know any feedback on her . which area of SG is she in .. .

mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikethedane View Post
    Hi Chris

i do strongly think i will soon become one as well i really like there design .. please let me know any feedback on her . which area of SG is she in .. .

mike
    Well that's great news Mike!

As someone said earlier on this short thread - Nautitechs are under-represented here. I suppose that's because they represent the ultimate compromise between comfort and performance, so the designs seem to pass 'under the radar' of both the performance advocates and 'lifestyle' advocates (for want of a better term).

So far, I've found this compromise to be just right for me and my partner but I'm still adjusting. My previous yacht was a heavy displacement full keel traditional design so I still find it disconcerting when I now fill both water tanks (a rather generous 600 litres) and the bootstripe disappears underwater.. A water maker is definitely on the shopping list.

Although I was lucky to find a rare 'Owner's version', I am currently working on interior layout mods to convert a surplus cabin into a workshop and create a forward facing nav station in place of charter seating for 12 in the main cabin!

If you are based in Singapore or visiting, let's arrange something by PM.

ANY other nautitech 40 owners out there? We recently purchased a 2006 402 near Annapolis, heading to Florida.

Very little on the web- wonder if we have the only one!

Hello Lightsloop. congratulations!

I'm very happy with my N40 and I have quite a bit of knowledge I could pass on, probably better done privately.

I'd hoped that there would be an increasing number of private owners now, with ex-charter N40's coming out of charter but not much sign of this yet. Is yours a 3 cabin or 4 cabin?

QUOTE=lightsloop;72345]ANY other nautitech 40 owners out there? We recently purchased a 2006 402 near Annapolis, heading to Florida.

Very little on the web- wonder if we have the only one![/QUOTE]

Hello everyone - happy to see that such a forum exists !

I have an "old" N435 from 1996 which we bought for a one year sabbatical trip. We have finally decided to keep it rnet it for long periods (1 year) and since then have engaged extensive refit - almost everything is new now on the boat.

We did and still do some fixing/improvement on some structural elements, which, with the years, have started to show some weakness... Happy to share with those who would have the same generation.

Would anyone in this forum know how to get detailed plans and building schemes ?

Thanks for your feedback
    Emmanuel
    (www.levoyagedezanzibar.com / www.zanzibarenloc.com)

Hi Chris, would you share some of the modifications that you've done on your boat ?

Quote Originally Posted by zanzibar View Post
    Hi Chris, would you share some of the modifications that you've done on your boat ?
    Sincere apologies for my slow response - lost patience with the system, when trying to upload sequences of photos of work I have done. Must try again..

I have

• converted port fwd cabin into a single berth, facing fore-aft, which allows passage through to the 'kids' cabin where I've converted the horizontal access hole into a proper full-height door frame, allowing space for a small workshop. I had the confidence to do this, because my 3 cabin layout has the shower door in the same bulkhead to stbd, so I didn't have structural concerns. Very pleased with outcome.

• replaced fridge with frigoboat s/s unit, using old compressor set-up. Removed old freezer and built a top-loader, after removing chart table and replacing with galley style counter-top. Removed instruments and switch panel and moved to forward-facing location above port-side settee (for future conversion to chart table). Very pleased with freezer - best improvement yet..

• Now working on stbd side (owner's) shower which can be increased in size a bit..

I know this is difficult to appreciate without photos. I will try again soon!

Chris,

WOW, that's what I call significant changes !

If this is easier for you, here is my email address where you can send some pictures: zanzibar.en.mer@gmail.com

Thanks
    Emmanuel