Thread: Venting of Gasoline/petrol tanks on Seawind 1000XL

Thumbs up Venting of Gasoline/petrol tanks on Seawind 1000XL

Good people,
    I have a 2009 Seawind 1000XL, based on the west coast of Florida, with the two gas tanks under the saloon floor. Filling is very slow, due to the very poor and slow venting. One theory I have is the when the boat puts out to sea with full tanks the gasoline in the tanks sloshes up the copper vent lines and stays there due to the surface tension. This stops venting during subsequent refueling. We also had an insect nest in one line!!
    One option I am looking at is to replace the copper lines with larger ones. Two questions:-
    Has anyone any ideas or comments?
    and
    I guess that the copper pipes and fittings are metric. Does anyone know what sort they are, as I will have to cross over from the existing right angle fittings on top of the tanks to new Copper Pipe, which this being in the US, may be an inch size.
    Any help would be very welcome.
    Its a great boat and I am very satisfied with it.
    Bob

Default Re: Venting of Gasoline/petrol tanks on Seawind 1000XL

Hello BobW and welcome. I don't know the set-up on your boat but can't you just push a long thin flexible wire down the vent pipes and clear them? I have never heard of vent pipes being a problem before. But that may just be my ignorance I suppose.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Bob W

One other thing to look at is the filler neck, I think on your boat its quite long. If you are going to be fiddling about with the tanks its worth taking the long cap/neck fitting out and cutting it to the shortest possible length.

On the vent sizes shoot me a email to Andrew (then the at sign) seawindcats(dot)com, I will see what I can find out.

Glad you like yours - we have a 2009 as well, and we just love it.

Gentlemen,
    Thanks for your posts. The boat is en route to Miami at the moment with a sailing class. First chance I get I will take some pics of the vent pipes and send them to you.
    Thanks for your help
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmultis View Post
    Bob W

One other thing to look at is the filler neck, I think on your boat its quite long. If you are going to be fiddling about with the tanks its worth taking the long cap/neck fitting out and cutting it to the shortest possible length.

On the vent sizes shoot me a email to Andrew (then the at sign) seawindcats(dot)com, I will see what I can find out.

Hi guys; on my one CatNip 007 the tanks just have a filler port no neck just a screw cap. never any issue with filling fuel. Are my tanks that different? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmultis View Post
    Bob W

Andrew,
    Just been re-reading your post.
    The tanks are very low profile under the salon floor. The filling caps protrude only a small distance. Hanging into each tank from the filler are what looks like a tubular framework (4 black longitudinal members I think) surrounded by a brass coloured Gauze. I have never examined them in detail. Thinking about them I guess that they are a flame arrestors, and/or filters.
    Now you have drawn my attention to them, for which I am most grateful, I will see if I can extract them, and clean them. Are they Right Hand Thread or straight pull?
    The boat came to Philadelphia from Australia on top of a container ship with gas in the tanks. We then used gasoline containing Ethanol to motor to Annapolis and, after the show, to Florida. If I can get them out I suspect a good clean may be in order. There may be tank debris or gas gunge in them, or they may have been misassembled. Do you have a drawing or photo of what they should look like you could send me .
    My e mail is b (dot) worrall (at) dynamicdinosaurs (dot ) com
    By the way I liked your operations manual. My boat has the same system for lowering the mast as yours, We used it to used to cross Florida on the Okeechobee lake/canal, and it worked excellently. One on the helm and two lowering the mast.
    Thanks a million for all your help.
    Bob

I use a venting funnel

Quote Originally Posted by BobW View Post
    Good people,
    I have a 2009 Seawind 1000XL, based on the west coast of Florida, with the two gas tanks under the saloon floor. Filling is very slow, due to the very poor and slow venting. One theory I have is the when the boat puts out to sea with full tanks the gasoline in the tanks sloshes up the copper vent lines and stays there due to the surface tension. This stops venting during subsequent refueling. We also had an insect nest in one line!!
    One option I am looking at is to replace the copper lines with larger ones. Two questions:-
    Has anyone any ideas or comments?
    and
    I guess that the copper pipes and fittings are metric. Does anyone know what sort they are, as I will have to cross over from the existing right angle fittings on top of the tanks to new Copper Pipe, which this being in the US, may be an inch size.
    Any help would be very welcome.
    Its a great boat and I am very satisfied with it.
    Bob
    Perko make purpose made petrol(gasoline) filler with arrestor vents built in, Basically it has a 1.5" fill connection and a 5/8" vent, When you open the cap the to fill it fully exposes the vent allowing easy filling. Cap closed the vent is partially blocked allowing venting (through the arrestor) but not enough to allow vapourisation.

Peetea,
    Thanks for the tip. Which one do you use. I have found several on the web.
    Thanks a million
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BobW View Post
    Peetea,
    Thanks for the tip. Which one do you use. I have found several on the web.
    Thanks a million
    Bob
    The 0542 model as this is all plastic. I don't like pretend chrome.

I know this is an older post but just in case you haven't resolved your venting problems check under the bridge deck where the vents exit under a fiberglass cover. I had tank vacum issues which choked off fuel flow to the outboards and found the vents encrusted with salt under the cover. The problem was solved after I passed a screw driver through the vent. BTW, if you find the vent plugged, be prepared for fuel to be trapped in the line. It will pour out as soon as the vent is cleared.

Smile Re: Venting of Gasoline/petrol tanks on Seawind 1000XL

Matt,
    Thanks for the feedback. We found a bunch of insects/bugs and their nest in the vent, and cleaned them out, but it has blocked up again. Florida is a productive environment for all wildlife. To refuel I continue to syphon fuel from a jerry can using a outboard motor fuel hose assembly. Ie. short hose, pump bulb for priming, long hose. This is slow but it works. We tried to remove the flanges and down-commers in the tank fillers to drill small holes in the walls of the down-commers to improve venting but the screws were corroded in and it looked like we would damage something tying to get them out. The problem is, I think that when you fill the tanks any boat motion floods the vents and the gasoline stays in the vents due to wax and surface tension. It should not because the vents are quite large, but it does.
    Someone suggested blowing the vents out with compressed air, but mixing compressed air with gasoline might be exciting.
    Anyway thanks for your post.
    Seasons greetings to all.
    Bob