Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anchors, Info,

Default Re: Anchors, Info - How heavy?

I am talking about a 'modern' anchors and my question is how heavy should your main anchor be?

I contacted 4 suppliers and asked for recommendations as to size. I explained that I wanted to be able to handle the following scenarios for a Lagoon 400:

• Anchoring in the tropics and going ashore when it might take 4 hours to get back to the boat
    • Anchoring in a reasonably protected anchorage in the Med in winter and leaving the boat for several weeks for a trip back to Oz to see family and friends (I added that I would always talk to a local marina or a fellow cruiser and ask them to watch)

The results came back in terms of maximum size:
    Sarca Excel 30 kg
    Rocna 33 kg
    Mantus 38 kg
    Manson Supreme 36 kg

What are your views on how much weight is adequate for a 'modern' anchor for this boat in the contexts I have described? I would also like to hear from Lagoon 400 owners and in particular if your main anchor is heavier than 30 kg.

BTW The Lagoon 400 comes standard with a 20kg anchor and the anchor is normally stowed on the forebeam.

Brian Rodwell

Thanks

Default Re: Anchors, Info,

Brian,

I certainly would not go any lighter and would not be adverse to going one size up. Would then need to consider winch. I my view production vessels winches are generally minimum necessary and a bit light on for cruising out of way areas.

Can give some feedback after I spend a week on a L400 in Whitsundays next week. Being a charter I am expecting there to be a CQR onboard.

"Anchoring in a reasonably protected anchorage in the Med in winter and leaving the boat for several weeks for a trip back to Oz to see family and friends (I added that I would always talk to a local marina or a fellow cruiser and ask them to watch)"

I think I would only be happy if vessel was in a marina.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by brian_rodwell View Post
    Anchoring in a reasonably protected anchorage in the Med in winter and leaving the boat for several weeks for a trip back to Oz to see family and friends (I added that I would always talk to a local marina or a fellow cruiser and ask them to watch)
    I'd call this a bad idea in many areas tha I know. Weather is pretty unpredictable in the Med and while not prone of super-storms you can still get a good blow. Often from any direction.
    So if you anchro has set for the prevailing winds and you see a 180 degree shift? You'll be sitting on the rocks in no time.

Spend the money on marina fees and write the money off for peace of mind.
    If you don't want to store the boat in prime locations it's pretty reasonable.

"What are your views on how much weight is adequate for a 'modern' anchor for this boat in the contexts I have described?"

"Too much is never enough"- David Lee Roth
    Currently concentrating on http://earthnurture.com .

Quote Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
    ....... Bruce never tests well, not even the genuine Bruce....l.

http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/Main...hor%20test.pdf

I don't trust any anchor testing method except my own:
    Snorkel every day to check the anchor and while you are underway check the anchors of all others around. That way you will understand what makes an anchor set in the conditions you live in and you will often find the same models lying _on_ the sea bed instead of digging in...

As a result there are anchors that I would not touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    ...............................As a result there are anchors that I would not touch.
    Go on you know you want to!!!! Please tell us

Photographic evidence would be even better!
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

No way, I am not going to become part of a public anchor war .

I am not going to say more what I have already mentioned somewhere else: we initially dragged a smallish 35lb CQR around and changed to a fairly cheap 24kg fake Buegel anchor. After that we had only two incidents where the anchor would not set first time, both on weedy bottoms when the rollbar was clogged with stuff (weed, kelp, or a plastic bag).
    That fake Buegel came from a german mailorder & internet shop called SVB, had good weldings, excellent galvanisation, and cost was a fraction of original modern anchors.

WTF... all this is already becoming a fading memory... I need a boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    .............. all this is already becoming a fading memory... I need a boat!
    I suspect some of the Privilege 37s that you looked at last time, are still on the market

Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123