Thread: Dinghy wheels

Default Dinghy wheels

I just bought and installed a new set of dinghy wheels made by Beachmaster in NZ. They're retractable and will handle up to 200kg per set on smooth surfaces.

The product quality is excellent, I was very happy to find my $300 was not wasted on empty promises. Delivery was quite fast considering I'm in Canada.

The dinghy is a new Caribe c12 with a yamaha, 2 stroke, 20hp totalling 140kg.

I've not tested the product in the real world as the dinghy is presently in my living room (where do you keep yours?), and the harbour is still quite frozen.

Our Cat is not nearly finished, but we hope the dingy will get good use on the week-ends this summer. I'll let you know how the wheels work out. But I must say, they are a sturdy (aluminum) product. The bolts are stainless and the springs seem to be stainless as well. The wheel hubs are plastic.

Here's a photo or two.

I have no affiliation with this company, I'm just happy with what appears to be a great product.

Cheers.
    Paul.

Default Re: Dinghy wheels

Look pretty good. Just arranged for the Dinghy Dolly wheels to be fitted to my new tender. These look better - oh well isn't that always the way!
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

They look good!

Better made and cheaper than some I have seen.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Dinghy Wheels! I remember them! They opened for Joe Walsh in '73, right?
    Tropical island life in the Devil's Triangle.
    http://2gringos.blogspot.com/

They look very well made. On sand, wider is better.

I have fairly similar wheels, from Active industries Hervey bay. They aren't pneumatic, but I think they're a bit wider.

http://activeindustries.net.au/our-products/

They sound great, but I didn't see any photos on the site. Are you happy with them?

They're rated for more weight than mine are. 125kg verses 100kg each wheel.

I just measured my wheels at 10" diameter and 3 inches wide (255x75mm).

Paul.

Are these the ones? If so, they look much wider.

Yes, they're the ones.

Pretty happy with them, but they could be even wider! We have a pretty heavy dinghy, a 3.5m RIB and 18hp outboard. Probably more or less similar to yours.

On soft sand the wheels sink. They're fine on firm sand though. The brackets and locking mechanism are nice and robust.

I was just puttering around the site, and remembered I hadn't made a report on these wheels.
    I am happy with them, they work well on soft sand and hard surfaces. We haven't had to pull the dinghy through heavy mud yet, but we're happy with the wheels.
    They don't affect steering or performance at all, unless you forget them down , and are easy to use.

Paul.