Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quality of home building plans

Default Re: Quality of home building plans

Quote Originally Posted by svquintana View Post
    Speaking of Plans. I'm not sure how a couple of photos will help anyone, a close study of a website, or ordering study plans is the best way to evaluate plans and the designer's mindset.

In any case, Kurt's allowed me to post photos.

Here are a couple of photos.

1. Sail Plan.

2. Interior layout.

3. Dimensions,and full size templates, for mast hardware, if you want to build your own.

4. Engine bed plans.

I don't know if you can zoom into these photos, if not, they may not be very helpful.

The sheets measure just over 2 feet x 3 feet.

Of course there are also about 50 sheets of full size templates included in the plans.

There is also a weight/moments sheet showing how each item affects the boat's balance, several articles showing how to cut costs, and a detailed rigging sheet showing a list of hardware and part numbers.

There's more, but you should really talk to Kurt.

One of my complaints would be that his website does not make it easy to see all his designs, as there are far too many groupings of designs that don't really flow well. Perhaps his webdesigner's ideas simply don't jive with mine.

I'd rather see three or four simple groupings of boats, perhaps grouped as such:

1. charter
    2. pleasure
    3. racing
    4. Miscellaneous or whatnot.

I'd love to see one of his new trailerable trimarans built, it looks like a fun boat.

He's got quite a selection.

Cheers.
    Paul.
    Those plans are OK to build from, It has the scale on it, 1-5 so any measurement not on the drawing can easily be worked out,

Engineers, Architects, and Draughtsmen, do not build any thing, They just do the drawings and lay out on Paper,

Its all the different tradesmen that actually do the physical work,

50 years of repairing other peoples stuff ups, Gives me a very good idea who stuffed up,
    Usually drawing errors that were not picked up as it went through the manufacturing phase,

Any building, no matter what it is, is made from small parts and put together like a very big mechano set,

If the drawings are wrong, it wont fit, Very easy to determine,

Tradesmen faults are usually 10 mm, one inch, One foot, as they dont use the end of the tape for accuracy and forget to add it on to the finished product,

But to select a boat for your self,
    Its personal,
    its for you,
    only you can determine if this or that boat is suitable for you,

If a boat is crap in its design, you can bet it will be all over the Forums, Very fast,

There is a company in Melbourne here some where that builds Trailerable sailing Trimarans, F54 I think they are called. About 30 foot long,
    They have arms that extend out the hulls for sailing, It only takes about 10 minutes to set them up for sailing from the trailer.

If you Google, Google maps, Hastings Marina in Victoria, They do have piccys of a few of these boats sitting on the hard, down the back of the hard stand,

I do believe that the Victorian Multi Hull Club have a few members with these boats, They also may have piccys of the trailerable Tri's on their site,

I hope this helps,

Young Grumpy,

I agree, the website is difficult to navigate, we looked through it quite often before deciding on which design to build.

I am quite happy with the design and plans, and certainly happy with Kurt's telephone help.

In comparing plans, I can only compare Kurt's plans to Schionning's plans for an older Waterline design. All the plans were hand written and appeared hand drawn, which was interesting in a historic kind of way. But you have to be more clever than I, to build using that style of plan. They looked more suited to an experienced builder. I understand Mr Schionning has now modernized his plans using computer design.

It would be nice to see more designers on this site.

As a cost comparison, my plans cost less than half of what Mr Schionning was charging. And, as far as I can tell, I got twice as much information.

Cheers all.
    Paul.

Oh, that reminds me. Kurt actually builds boats too, as does Mr Woods.

That's worth a lot in my book.

Cheers.
    Paul.

Good evening,
    The person who's design work you would have liked is Ian Farrier.

I believe that he set the standards for design work and detailed plans for amateur multihull builders.
    Unfortunately he has stopped the sale of plans to amateur builders. He is now concentrating on setting up a factory to build some of his smaller trimarans only.
    Farriers plans are incredibly comprehensive. Nothing, but nothing is left to guess work by the builder. He specifies every single piece of cloth that goes into the layup of the boat. Even the dimensions of the separate pieces of reinforcements in the layup is given. Every step in the building process is listed on the plans pages complete witha tick-box so that you can follow your own quality control programme.
    At first glance his work and designs look complicated, but that is only because it is so comprehensive. There is hardly any need to contact him with any questions.
    He hammers the point home that the builder is not to deviate from the plans at all without first contacting him. And most important if you'd built to his design, you will have a boat that looks like a pro job.
    He always maintained a very small portfolio of designs, rather ensuring that everything is done just perfect.
    And just as important, his boats perform. The farrier designs are fast boats.

I built a small 9 meter tri to his design and can vouch for his work. At the same time, I looked at two other multihull designers works and they are simply not in the same league when it comes to work for amateur construction. I now judge all plans against those by Farrier and had since built a sea kayak and a small powerboat done by others. And their work is shockingly bad and full of mistakes.

Check his website www.f-boats.com

Regards,
    Banjo.

Ian Farrier is the builder of those expanding Tri's, I made a mistake also,
    He was in Oz, but has moved to NZ, Apparently.,

They are nice boats, Farriers, Have looked at them real close up,

I'd love to hear someone else's comments ON TOPIC, if anyone cares to share.

Paul.

Cool Re: Quality of home building plans

I'd love to hear someone else's comments ON TOPIC, if anyone cares to share.

Paul.
    If ON TOPIC involves designers plans , then I think most of the long time designers are fully acceptable, which is why they have "Stayed the course", as it were.
    Some of the best have left us, but their influence has remained. Hedly Nicol, Norm Cross, Rod McAlpine Downie, Dick Newick, Joe Dobler, Arthur Piver, Louis Macoulliard, Lock Crowther, and others whose designs have disappeared beyond the event horizon, come to mind.
    Some of these plans are still offered, but unfortunately lock Crowthers have been permanently archived, with only the evergreen Buccaneer 24 still available.
    But when it comes to building a boat from any of these plans, it is the ease of following the written instructions and fathoming out the drawings, plus the advice backup from the issuer that counts.
    Last edited by oldsailor 7; 11th February 2014 at 12:36 AM.

The quality of the plans, and the design, has nothing to do with the method of drawing, or writing.

I have seen a magnificently drawn and annotated set of computer drawn plans and computer word processed instructions, for a power cat. By a rather well known designer also. Which had a hull displacement less than half of the real displacement required for the vessel. And numerous other mistakes. I was pleased that it was not one I was building.
    A mistake which is less likely to happen when you are used to eyeing up hand drawings.
    You cannot afford the time to correct hand drawings which are that far out.

Kurt Hughes plans and annotations on this thread look to me that they may have been done by hand. Some of the best designers we have had use hand drafting.

I've had several plan buyers who ask for computer drawings, change their mind when they see the quality of the hand drawings I can supply.

Oh, that reminds me. Kurt actually builds boats too, as does Mr Woods.

That's worth a lot in my book.

Cheers.
    Paul.
    Bob Oram also builds boats he's designed.

From what I've read, Bob Oram physically helps (helped) many of his builders with their builds. He's got some great looking designs. It's a shame the availability of his designs "retired" with Bob.

"Out of the Bag" would seem to be a great emissary for his designs, on this side of the world. From what I've heard of their Bahamas exploits, there will be many "fast cats" trying hard to NOT sail in the same direction or race as them.

Also, a fine example of the efficiency of a single board.

Cheers.
    Paul.

Happy to agree.

The best multi designers have all built and sailed their own designs.

As a boat repairer and builder you get to see a lot of designer stuffups.

Those who build their own designs tend to self correct.
    Last edited by KJT; 21st February 2014 at 09:16 PM.

Now that the price of a good second hand boat is likely to be less than the cost of materials, the most plausible justification for building is the pleasure of creation. That being the case, it seems logical to want to do the whole creation process oneself, including the design work. I would also point out that if you have designed the boat yourself you wont have problems with interpreting the drawings! Indeed, you will be thinking through the construction process as you do the design work which will give you some advantage when you start building.

On another tack, I think that the advance of 3D drawing software opens up the possibility of a whole new approach to the transfer of information from design office to workshop, in boat building as well as in industry generally. Engineering drawings on flat sheets of paper (or linen), drawn in 1st or 3rd angle projection and to BS308 standard or whatever, used to be the only practical way to transfer geometrical information to a workshop. It was just about possible to produce an alternative view, typically an isometric view, by manual drafting but it was a tedious process and well nigh impossible to include clear and comprehensive dimensioning on such a view. Hence, from Victorian times on we developed standards for clear and unambiguous production of 2D drawings - not that most yacht designers appear to abide by any such standards!

Now however, we can produce a model in software that you can spin around to look at from any angle, dismantle or cut up to see what is inside, and you can also take a tape measure 'tool' from a menu to get whatever dimensions you need for construction directly from this model. The best software can even include tolerances on those dimensions. So why not just send that model to the workshop rather than complaining that 3D software doesn't always do a particularly good job of producing 2D drawings?

It's may be a better planning. But I think you should ,ore deeply.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyfee View Post
    Hi I am Anthony and i would like you to tell about the quality of our company.Evenwedge Homes is a company based out of Australia.They are categorized under Building Supplies and can be contacted at factory 6, 11 malcolm court kealba, melbourne in Australia.
    http://www.evenwedgehomes.com.au/
    This forum is for BOAT building plans!!!!!!

** The offending spam to which this post refers has been removed** - Your helpful Moderator - Ozmultis

Looks like maybe the words "home", "built" and "plans" are triggering the spambots. No point replying they aren't even human.

** The offending spam to which this post refers has been removed** - Your helpful Moderator - Ozmultis

But how did they get a membership?

BUY A HOUSE PLAN. BUILD A HOME. A step-by-step guide for floor plan and home design shoppers

1. Financing your new home
    Financing construction of a new home has always been a key part of the process, even moreso in today's market. If you're lucky enough to be able to finance construction out of savings, then your task is simplified, but you'll still want to think carefully about budgets, so you can anticipate all the expenses that will occur along the way. If you do need to take out a construction loan, or a construction-to-permanent loan, you've probably already discovered that the markets are tighter than they once were, but credit is certainly available for those who qualify.
    2. Find the right house plan for you
    For most of us, building a home is a once-in-a-lifetime endeavor. Consequently, the right home plan is crucial. You probably have some sketchy notions of the type of design you want to build. Plenty of major options await two-story versus one-story, traditional rather than contemporary, an outdoor porch or maybe a sunroom. However, putting those ideas together and considering the hundreds of other details that will make your home perfect can be daunting. Here are some of the basic elements you need to ponder to help you make wise decisions as you search.
    3. You've found the perfect plan and know where you want to build. The excitement is building. It's time to start thinking about the details that can make all the difference. What kind of siding do you want on your new home? What are the tradeoffs between different kinds of roofing materials? What do you want in your kitchen?
    4. How to find the right builder for you
    When you ordered a set of blueprints from eplans.com, you knew you'd have to work with a builder to transform those two-dimensional plans into a home. What you may not have originally realized was just how many additional professionals would be involved throughout this home-building process. Along with your builder, some other key players may include subcontractors, a local architect, a mortgage broker, an interior designer, planning and zoning officials, and city or town inspectors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12