Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unsinkable? How, why?

Default Re: Unsinkable? How, why?

Towed a few smaller boats in and always got adequately compensated.

Once a boatboy who ran out of fuel two miles off Mayreau when it was getting dark, he had no VHF and no lights. Next stop for him would have been Mexico so he was glad to get a ride back home. He came back the other day with fresh fruits from his garden and a huge lobster.

Or two clueless Hobies sailors just outside a bay who didn't know how to get back against the wind. These clowns never heard of tacking but were claiming that the Hobies had a problem and would not sail into the wind. Our reward: a sixpack (from the guy running the hobie charter, not from the clowns)

but I think one should carefully understand savlage rights before accepting a tow line. Better be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by svquintana View Post
    Serves me right for not ending my post at "insurance fraud".
    Thats ok, when my wife saw the pictures she said "Finders KEEPERS"

You endagered yourself and vessel, your time is valuable, what would a salvage co been compensated for what you did? I guess there are people out there who would give away to charity what they win on a lottery ticket, but not me,,,

Quote Originally Posted by 44C View Post
    Not all cats are unsinkable. But cats built from modern lightweight materials should be.

As an example, the materials to build my boat - just the bare shell, took 3 double pallets, stacked 1 metre high.

So 2.4 x 1.2 x 3 = 8.63m3.

So the materials for just the bare shell would displace more than 8 1/2 tonnes of water. Add in furniture etc, and it would go well beyond that.

The boat launched at 4.8 tonnes. And we were partly loaded at launch - full water tanks, quite a lot of food, bedding clothing was laready aboard. Fully loaded we're still probably below 6 tonnes.

So, simply, the boat cannot sink. Even if all of the 50+ sealed compartments were holed, the boat should still float.
    Water weighs about 64 gallons per square foot, so if your cored hull and furniture have less volume than this, add foam floatation. Sorry for the ancient units of measurement, but I'm a) American, and b) an ancient mariner. Not only the post on this thread, but every photo I've seen of a catamaran that was awash was down by the stern, so the farther aft you can get your added floatation, the better.
    Currently concentrating on http://earthnurture.com .

MikeQUOTE=BigCat;71735]Water the stern weighs about 64 gallons per square foot, so if your cored hull and furniture have less volume than this, add foam floatation. Sorry for the ancient units of measurement, but I'm a) American, and b) an ancient mariner. Not only the post on this thread, but every photo I've seen of a catamaran that was awash was down by the stern, so the farther aft you can get your added floatation, the better.[/QUOTE]

sorry, but water does not weigh in gallons, (yes 1gallon is 10lb) and volume is not in square feet.

Yes, cats will be down by the stern, the engines are there.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Big Cat had a booboo there. He meant to say that a cubic foot of water weighs about 64 pounds. And dmmbruce is using imperial gallons where BC is using US gals.
    Us yanks say that seawater weighs about 8.6 pounds per gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by dmmbruce View Post
    MikeQUOTE=BigCat;71735]Water the stern weighs about 64 gallons per square foot, so if your cored hull and furniture have less volume than this, add foam floatation. Sorry for the ancient units of measurement, but I'm a) American, and b) an ancient mariner. Not only the post on this thread, but every photo I've seen of a catamaran that was awash was down by the stern, so the farther aft you can get your added floatation, the better.
    sorry, but water does not weigh in gallons, (yes 1gallon is 10lb) and volume is not in square feet.

Yes, cats will be down by the stern, the engines are there.

Mike[/QUOTE] Just getting dotty in my old age. 64 pounds per cubic foot. A US gallon is more like 8.6 pounds (of seawater) , and there are 7.48 of them per cubic foot, so right at 64 pounds per cubic foot. An imperial gallon is larger - as I used to see in Canada, which is about 70 miles from where I live.
    Currently concentrating on http://earthnurture.com .

Metrics are much easier. A litre of water weighs a kilogramme. A cubic metre a tonne. Even with every sealed compartment breached, my boat would displace something well over 10 cubic metres of water. And it weighs under 6 tonnes. It can't sink.

I have a Cirrostratus Trimaran that had a boat run into 1 of the outriggers and knocked a hole in it the boat had come of its mooring and as usual it didnt have any insurance on it not even third party at bribie torn a 8 binch hole in my boat which i have now sealed tillit is slipped next week and fixed it listed a dit until i stopped the leak but what really enoys me is that this boat is opn a swing mooring at bribie comes of regular of its mooring no insurance and the owner dont care QLD Transporty should make it so every boat on a swing mooring has to have at least third party insurance and thy dont its just bull shit

Quote Originally Posted by seamad View Post
    Yep. The US also has it's navigation marks the wrong way round. It's no wonder so many of them can't cope with the idea of a boat with more than one hull.

The same Cirrostratus Trimaran did a gearbox when i was taking it to be slipped 3 hours run minimum in open water had to be towed by Coast Guard patch on outer hull came of complete hull filled with water during tow with large swell lifted the port pontoon 2 feet out of the water starboard pontoon lapping the ocean will being towed at 15 knots and still safe like to see a mono or catermaran do that i think tris are the safest boat ever made

Quote Originally Posted by kevin mc View Post
    no insurance and the owner dont care

Not sure how it's handled elsewhere, but in the US, your insurance would subrogate (sue) the uninsured party to recoup the money paid out for your damages, including your deductible...

Quote Originally Posted by 44C View Post
    Yep. The US also has it's navigation marks the wrong way round. It's no wonder so many of them can't cope with the idea of a boat with more than one hull.
    Plus - in the rest of the world water boils at 100 degrees, freezes at zero. In the US it's some weird numbers like 212 and 32 or something...

Fahrenheit has some good points. Like 0 degrees is really f*#kin cold and 100 is really f*#kin hot. That's kinda like metric.
    37.7 just doesn't seem hot to me.

37.7 isn't all that hot. We get days well over 40 in parts of Aus. How hot it feels depends on the humidity.

In Australia a lot of the time it is not worth taking a person to court that did damage to your boat as this person wasnt insured the only person that wins is the solicitors

I agree we in Australia at times have very hot weather take last summer

Quote Originally Posted by kevin mc View Post
    In Australia a lot of the time it is not worth taking a person to court that did damage to your boat as this person wasnt insured the only person that wins is the solicitors

It's not you who takes the other person to court, it's your insurance company.

Yes i no that but the person that hit my boat my boat had no insurance and i have only public liability on my boat as can not find a insurance company that will give comprehensive insurance 1 being a tri 2 its age ive just had a full survey done on the boat out of water by a marine surveyor and going to try again for comprehensive insurance

Hi... this just happened last night down here in Seychelles...
    Lagoon 440 sank and capsized. Investigations on the matter are still going on.

http://www.seychellesnewsagency.com/...es+main+island

Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast