Thread: Endeavourcat 44 Spiraserpula wins at Georgetown

Default Endeavourcat 44 Spiraserpula wins at Georgetown

Spiraserpula Won the class B multihulls Round Stocking Island Race at the 33rd annual Georgetown Cruiser's Regatta. Spiraserpula beat two trimarans on corrected time and one FP and a Lagoon on both actual and corrected time. I expect members who have previously joked at the boat's design and made disparaging remarks about the designs ability to get out of it's own way to recognize that you can't always judge a boat by its curb appeal. The boat placed third overall on corrected time in all classes.

Default Re: Endeavourcat 44 Spiraserpula wins at Georgetown

I'm impressed and rather startled by the race results. I've always known Endeavourcats are good, reliable boats but as you wrote, I never considered them fast. I stand corrected.

Congratulations.

Just to follow up with more results from the in harbor race held yesterday. Spiraserpula again beat all other Catamarans in Class B, though placed only thrid on corrected time behind two trimarans. I tried to talk them into requiring the tri's to drag a drogue but was denied. In any case, the the wind died just as the tri's finished and there was no chance to finish close enough to them for my corrected time advantage to get me the win. I did finish well ahead or a lagoon 41, a Broadblue 42, and a Lagoon 44. In fact I was back across the harbor anchoring my boat before the next cat finished. While certainly not a racing cat the Endeavour certainly surprised a lot of people. The FP 42 that was in the round the Island race did not participate in the in harbor race. After the first race a couple of remarks were made about the round harbor race having winners that should not have won because the wid direction and course made it a reaching race. The in harbor race included a lot of up and down wind work and very little reaching. The Endeavourcat was the last cat across the line and passed the other boats on all points of sail and clearly outpaced the boat up and down wind. While we only took third after the tri's in the in harbor race there wer no more negative comments, but lots of expressions of surprise. A couple of people wanted to know where they could get a camberspar jib.

Bill

Well not this year. The Class B multihulls category did not have any heavy cruising cats in it but me. Consequently I came in last this year. They also decided because I did so well last year that my handicap was too high so they lowered it 30 points. (I beat all the heavy cruising cats last year in real time). This year all of the other competitors had boards and were pretty high performance machines with the exception of a PDQ 36 which performed very well and had a huge handicap. I was very impressed by the the performance of the Leopard 40 which kicked my butt but good. Congrats to the winners and all the participants. It was fun while it lasted, which for us was quite a while.

Capt. Bill,

Congratulations! It is fun when that happens and you can surprise some people!

Out of curiosity (and for reference), what handicap system was used and can you publish the ratings for all the multis that competed?

Thanks,
    Marshall
    "People sail for fun and no one has yet convinced me that it's more fun to go slow than it is to go fast." -- Dick Newick

At least you had fun.
    You're a good sport.

Cheers.
    Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by searenitysail View Post
    Capt. Bill,

Congratulations! It is fun when that happens and you can surprise some people!

Out of curiosity (and for reference), what handicap system was used and can you publish the ratings for all the multis that competed?

Thanks,
    Marshall
    I don't know how they came up with the numbers, but the winning boat was a 20 year old Walt Crowther (don't know if I spelled it right) from Austrailia and it had a handicap of 100. The Leopard 40 had 120, I had 140, and a 46 dolphin had 140. The PDQ36 had a 178. Last year I had a 170.

I got a new set of sails last summer and I lost 10 degrees of pointing ability. I think the rig needs to be properly tuned to the new sails. So everyone outpointed me by a lot. Last year they could only out point me by a little bit. I was beating all but the WC on downwind, but the outside of the Island was directly into the wind and their pointing ability clearly outclassed me. Since everybody beat me this year, maybe they'll give me my 30 points back next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
    I don't know how they came up with the numbers, but the winning boat was a 20 year old Walt Crowther (don't know if I spelled it right) from Austrailia and it had a handicap of 100. The Leopard 40 had 120, I had 140, and a 46 dolphin had 140. The PDQ36 had a 178. Last year I had a 170.

I got a new set of sails last summer and I lost 10 degrees of pointing ability. I think the rig needs to be properly tuned to the new sails. So everyone outpointed me by a lot. Last year they could only out point me by a little bit. I was beating all but the WC on downwind, but the outside of the Island was directly into the wind and their pointing ability clearly outclassed me. Since everybody beat me this year, maybe they'll give me my 30 points back next year.
    Would that by chance be a Lock Crowther?

Quote Originally Posted by smj View Post
    Would that by chance be a Lock Crowther?
    I thought the guy said Walt, but he had a thick austrailian accent so I might have heard it wrong.

Spiraserpula won the Georgetown Cruising Regatta Around Stocking Island race again this year(2016) for class B Multihulls! It came in second in the in harbor race, but don't feel bad, we were beaten by another Endeavourcat 44 named Beguiler from Ontario Canada. Endeavourcats dominate!

Well done

Well done. How many other cats were taking part? Have you got any pictures?

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

There was the other Endeavour 44 Beguiler, two Lagoons, and a Prout Snow goose. It was a handicaped race, but everyone but the snow goose had the same handicap so it was head to head for the rest of us. I was too busy to take pictures, but I think the admiral got some and I'll try to get them posted. In the in harbor race the Endeavoucats finished first and second followed by the newer lagoon. In the around the Island we finshed first followed by the older lagoon, then the newer lagoon, then the other Endeavourcat. The prout finished last in both despite a huge handicap advantage. In the around the Island the lead changed 4 times with all of the boats except the Prout holding the lead at at least 1 point. The guy tht did the rating did a good job because it was pretty clear the 4 boats were well matched in performance
    Last edited by Captain Bill; 4th March 2016 at 03:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Spiraserpula successfully defended its title in the Georgetown Cruising regatta around stocking Island race for class B catamarans. Beguiler, another Endeavourcat 44 took second. Earlier this week Beguiler took first in the in harbor race with Spiraserpula taking second. These positions were real time as well as corrected time wins. The Endeavourcats beat a manta 42, a St Francis 44, an FP Helia, and a Prout Snowgoose in real time. (not bragging about the snow goose).

Well done.

Congrats to the boat, and crew! You're having lots of fun down there, and building a reputation too!

Cheers.
    Paul.