Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hello

Default Re: Hello

By the way, CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR PURCHASE!
    I think you've made a very good choice.

Keep the boat in Florida, close to an airport with the best service to Saskatchewan. Don't accumulate a bunch of stuff for the boat at home if at all possible, to reduce the number of times you have to drive.

Hometown: Prince Albert, SK, Canada ------ Living on: the boat

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Daugherty View Post
    By the way, CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR PURCHASE!
    I think you've made a very good choice.
    Keep the boat in Florida, close to an airport with the best service to Saskatchewan. Don't accumulate a bunch of stuff for the boat at home if at all possible, to reduce the number of times you have to drive.
    Thanks Sandy.
    We'll be full time live aboard for at least a year (sabbatical from work) so all the stuff we'll be accumulating will be stored in the large amount of locker space on the boat, only to be purged later. haha I love the comedy sketch by George Carlin - the more space you have, the more 'stuff' you have to buy to fill it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Daugherty View Post
    Going without a surveyor is exactly the same as pulling out your appendix without a doctor AND an anesthesiologist; widely frowned upon.
    I may have disagreed with a surveyor on one or two specific findings, but I can assure you they were necessary, extremely useful, and paid for themselves many times over.
    This being our first boat, I think we'll definitely use a surveyor even if it wasn't a requirement from the insurance underwriter.

Quote Originally Posted by reynishl View Post
    http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...9525&noOfPic=8

Hi Talbot,
    there's a link to an image of the wind vane setup on the Prout 34. It looks like just one wind vane and I imagine that there are cables that are hooked to the rudders in some way..................But I would need to look at the costs of installing a wind vane vs. the cost of having a spare autopilot.
    Lorry
    If you look at the location of that vane, it is well over to Starboard of the hulls. I would hate to rely on that when close hauled on port tack!!!

I am carrying a spare linear drive rather than a complete auto pilot. If anything has to be sent, it would be by far the most costly, and it is also the part most likely to fail. The new spare is the originally installed drive that has be refurbed by Raymarine.
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Quote Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
    If you look at the location of that vane, it is well over to Starboard of the hulls. I would hate to rely on that when close hauled on port tack!!!
    I believe those deck lockers/lazarettes (correct term?) shown in the picture are centered between the hulls so the vane appears to be centered between the hulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
    I am carrying a spare linear drive rather than a complete auto pilot. If anything has to be sent, it would be by far the most costly, and it is also the part most likely to fail. The new spare is the originally installed drive that has be refurbed by Raymarine.
    Ours has a wheel driven auto-pilot (Raymarine ST6002 with spare Autohelm ST4000) so there is some redundancy already. We plan not to do any major alterations or equipment additions in the first year so we'll see what works and what doesn't before outlaying any capital.

Welcome and congratulations on your new Cat,

Quote Originally Posted by Mr B. View Post
    Welcome and congratulations on your new Cat,
    Thanks Mr. B

Just curious what did you think about the Prout 39 in New Port Richey,
    Norseman 40 in Fort Lauderdale, and Lagoon 37 in Fort Lauderdale,

This blogger got to survey on the L37 in Ft Lauderdale before bailing.

http://thisratsailed.blogspot.com/se...&max-results=7

His April 30 post talks about how there was more work to do than he wanted to do. There are quite a few more currently available boats mentioned.

There is a 2007 Simpson 35 newly listed in North Carolina here:

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/36788

No pix though.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyEnding View Post
    Had a quick look at the listing for the Prout 39, as I researched this class when making my own decision (and actually bid on one, but the owner would not take realistic money)

A good solid cat, but the changes after 1996 make a significant improvement to the model. Nevertheless, If this is the interior layout you like with the big saloon and two aft cabins, and possibly some single bunks in the stbd fwd hull, then this one looks worthy of a closer look. I think the price level is reasonable if it is in as good condition as the pictures seem to suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by NautiBits View Post

This blogger got to survey on the L37 in Ft Lauderdale before bailing.

http://thisratsailed.blogspot.com/se...&max-results=7

His April 30 post talks about how there was more work to do than he wanted to do. There are quite a few more currently available boats mentioned.

There is a 2007 Simpson 35 newly listed in North Carolina here:

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/36788

No pix though.
    Thanks, should have seen that and pm'ed Rey, sorry for the hijack!
    Congrats on Both your new boats BTW!!!

Happy Ending,

I asked ReynishL the same questions a while back. I'll synopsize in case you're planning a road trip for this weekend.

As this was early in his boat buying adventure, these boats were part of the "fitting phase". He felt the Norseman was huge. He settled on the extended Seawind 1000, so that makes sense. The Lagoon37 was under contract (see The Rat), but had the right layout for them, plenty spacious, but not too big (as in Norseman..HUGE!). And the winner is: The New Port Richey Prout Escale!! "It was draw dropping", or something to that effect. It was extremely well kept, and appeared to be fully functional. It felt sturdy, well-built. He can give better details if you need them. The pix he took and the ones on the broker site all corroborate the tip-top shape of the Prout39. Definitely worth a look.

I'm heading to Corpus Christi today to prep for the survey tomorrow. Whhheeee!!

Quote Originally Posted by NautiBits View Post
    I'm heading to Corpus Christi today to prep for the survey tomorrow. Whhheeee!!
    Good luck.

Check the mast base for leaks and compression damage, and check the shroud attachments to ensure that they have not lifted the saloon roof.

Make sure that they have not fitted an additional window close to the chain plates (a good location for a window, but leads to significant damage around the chain plates. - Which is why the post 1996 models have hull edge chain plates)

I think Nauti is going to Survey the PDQ if not mistaken,
    Myself as nice as the Escale 39's seem Id avoid, alot of issues regarding structural integrity on them posted all over the internet.

I ..............Myself as nice as the Escale 39's seem Id avoid, alot of issues regarding structural integrity on them posted all over the internet.
    I agree there is information all over the net about structural issues on the 39 - but if you look closer, there are all about the same boat!

Hello HappyEnding,
    No worries about highjacking the thread, it hasn't been about "Hello" since about the 4th post.
    NautiBits is generally correct in his summary below. We were just checking boats for fit in terms of headroom, liveability, and overall je ne sais quoi.
    The Norseman was indeed massive and felt like too much boat for us, especially as rookie sailors/boat owners. I didn't want to spend a lot of time in maintenance.
    The Lagoon 37 was in a bit rough shape and I probably wouldn't have purchased that particular one but I did like the layout and the simplicity of the shaft drives as the simpler a boat, the better the boat - relates to my aversion to constant maintenance.
    The Prout 39 was indeed a bit of a shocker as we had just been on a Prout 34 just down the road. It appeared to be very well maintained and while there may have been a few additions/changes required like the outfitted claw anchor and possibly some of the electronics (didn't really take a close look), it appeared ready to go. In terms of size and liveability, they were both satisfactory to my 6'2" (188 cm) frame. As NautiBits said ("draw dropping"), the je ne sais quoi was there as well. T
    There was also the PDQ 34 (with the 36 layout minus the stern steps) in Stuart that we saw as well and ticked all the same boxes as the Prout 39 in New Port Richey. If we had purchased that one I would have considered the need to install stern extensions prior to major crossings (if any). But it would have suited our purposes now of learning to sail and cruise in the Bahamas and Caribbean until we're more confident in sailing and that we'll enjoy the lifestyle long term.
    If I would have had to purchase either one of those two, it would have been a tough decision but the PDQ might have won out for the sole factor that I am Canadian (hmmm, I seem to remember a beer commercial with that tag line).
    Let me know if you have any other questions. I think I have some pictures as well but my hard drive crashed so may not have all of them.
    Lorry

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234