Thread: Must I Remove All the Assholes?

Default Must I Remove All the Assholes?

I talking about the part of the barnacle that is left after said barnacle is carefully removed, not the ones on the deck. Bottom paint Pettit Ultima 60 ablative. Bottom was painted two years ago; last time I paid any attention to the bottom was 3 months ago. It seems to me that when I last gave the bottom some attention I had but just a few barnacles but I did have a lot of slime. I removed the barnacles but not all the slime. Could it be that the slime attracted the barnacles and caused them to grow at a fast rate?
    My gut tells me that all assholes need to be removed from anywhere they are found otherwise they promote more assholes. Is this true for the bottom of boats?
    It's true who ever said it before me; A dirty bottom slows you down imagine what it does to your vessel".

Default Re: Must I Remove All the Assholes?

As your anti-fouling paint ages less and less biocide leaches out. For the first few months enough is getting out to stop almost any kind of growth but as the rate of leaching slows down soft growth (slime) will be the first thing to appear. You can usually wipe this off quite easily for several months but as time goes on the rate at which the biocide leaches out will reduce to the point where hard growth such as barnacles begin to appear.

When this happens you can scrape off the barnacles but new ones will replace them with increasing rapidity as time goes on. Generally speaking, when you start to see more than a few barnacles you will probably want to consider repainting the bottom soon. One or two barnacles here and there may not indicate a problem as they may just be growing on spots where the paint was thin or lacking in biocide but barnacles in many places or in large patches are a sign that it is time to haul and paint again.

Steve

THANKS Well it sounds like I'm not going to get three years from the time I did the bottom last. But what about the assholes should they be completely removed? Will new barnacles grow on the old assholes? By leaving a trace of assholes promote new barnacles?

You really should completely remove the old barnacles before re-painting. In theory you could apply a barrier coat over the old barnacles and paint over it but that would leave you with speed-robbing pimples on your bottom and seems to be at least as as much work as sanding down the last bits of barnacle footprint.

In the meantime, before you paint, if you do not remove the old barnacles new ones will grow on top of them as the old barnacle does not leach biocide and is a perfectly safe place for new ones to grow. If you leave a boat in salt water for three or four years you will find many layers of barnacles growing on top of each other.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by victor View Post
    THANKS Well it sounds like I'm not going to get three years from the time I did the bottom last. But what about the assholes should they be completely removed? Will new barnacles grow on the old assholes? By leaving a trace of assholes promote new barnacles?
    Victor, your phrasing was so eloquent it brought tears to my eyes

Quote Originally Posted by victor View Post
    Yep, best to get rid of the assholes. There are some acid boat cleaning products that soften them up and make them easier to shift. Othwise you'll have to sand them. Best to wet sand anti-foul, (use an air driven sander) the dust is toxic.

My karcher pressure washer is more than capable of removing these reminders of barnacles (or should that be remainders )

In my marina, it is not barnacles that I worry about, but mussels!
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Thanks all for your advice; CatNip will remain in the water for at least another 6 months, in the meantime I'll remove ALL THE ASSHOLES.

The fastest and least expensive way to remove barnacle residue is with Muriatic Acid, available from Home Depot and other builders supply stores, used to clean concrete. It dissolves the calcium in the residue. I like to apply it with a natural bristle brush. It is toxic and the fumes are obnoxious. a drop in the eye with blind you; wearing heavy gloves and serious eye protection, long sleeves and long pants are all no-shit must haves. Don't spray it on because it also removes bottom paint and coats your zincs somehow and reduces their effectiveness.

When the calcium stops bubbling you can wash it all off with a pressure sprayer. Overdo that and you will take bottom paint off.

Other acids (like Mary Kate On Off) work but cost a whole lot more.

Well guys here is the results with dealing with the assholes.. and I'm only speaking of the ones attached to the hull, we will perhaps speak of all the other assholes at a latter date on another forum.
    My findings are as follows: keep in mind that CatNip is in the water at this time in Coral Gables Florida she is sailed at the very least once a week perhaps 40 to 50 miles, other times she does about 5 races per year and several weeks in the Bahamas. CatNip is at a dock at the near end of a canal, water current is rather slow compared to the front entrance of the canal. I typically get two solid years barnacle protection, May was the end of two years. before the Miami Key Largo race I took a look at the hulls; a lot of slime and quite a bit of barnacle growth. After scrapping the Barnie's off with a plastic scrapper what was left in many areas was the "asshole" of Barnie. The asshole was rather flush but still some protrusion. I determined it is imperative to remove any trace of the asshole; if not it will become the base of another Barnie. In addition the Barnie artifact will inhibit the chemical in the bottom pain from doing it's thing. I suspect I'm at the end of the effective life of the bottom pain and so I will just try to nurse the bottom along until after the summer.
    Thanks for all your advice and good input.

Oregon, USA until I retire and we sail away

[quote=Sandy Daugherty;59723]The fastest and least expensive way to remove barnacle residue is with Muriatic Acid, <snip> quote]

Don't use it on or near concrete, mortar, or other lime-containing surfaces, as splashes will leave such surfaces spotted and splotchy (unless, of course, you treat and rinse the whole surface).

Well guys here is the results with dealing with the assholes.

gclub online

No matter where they may be found, it's best to, if possible, remove all assholes.

That said...

Anything, including the merest slime, that is between your bottom paint and the water, acts to inhibit the biocidal properties of your paint. That is to say the slime acts as insulation, then more aggressive critters can latch on. Therefore it's best to keep everything off, including slime.

Me, I wipe the hulls at least monthly. All it needs to remove slime is a bar towel. I find that as the paint ages I'll move up to more abrasive things: carpet scrap, 3m Doodlebug pad.

I also make sure that I'm wearing a hood of some sort when I'm cleaning the hull bottoms. I know several professional hull cleaners and all of 'em are agreed that 'you don't want to get that sh!t in your ears.'

Noob question.

"Me, I wipe the hulls at least monthly. All it needs to remove slime is a bar towel"

HOW ? I assume you don't lift the boat out monthly, so is this just by swimming/snorkling around and wiping, or beaching it, or something else ?

Regards

I just swim, I assume TamiCatana does the same.
    Sail Fast Live Slow

I snorkel for a light cleaning, or if I need to mess with my saildrives or rudders or something that will take some time, I have a tank with a 50-ft hose and I'll just dive on it with that