Thread: Compartment Built for Inverted Survival

Default Compartment Built for Inverted Survival

When I was cruising in New Zealand, I went onboard a custom 48 foot catamaran in which they had built a forward survival compartment designed for habitation in the inverted position. They basically turned one bow into an inverted survival compartment. You gained access to the survival compartment through a large hatch placed in the forward bulkhead of the port hull.

The accomodations in this compartment gave you a place to sit or lie down when the catamaran was inverted. It was also a location where they could store immersion suits and survival supplies.

The owners expected that the bows would be up and the stern down when the cat was inverted.

Have you seen any multihulls with inverted survival compartments built in the bows?

Default Re: Compartment Built for Inverted Survival

No - not seen but it is a good idea and I will look at the forward compartment with something in mind.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

I have designed that feature into the Nordic Cat, there are hatches in the bulkheads from both hulls.

I first saw this feature on pictures from a Chris White designed cat,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
    I have designed that feature into the Nordic Cat, there are hatches in the bulkheads from both hulls.

I first saw this feature on pictures from a Chris White designed cat,

Alan
    Chris White has a lengthy, detailed discussion about upside down living on an overturned cat in his book.
    Currently concentrating on http://earthnurture.com .

Quote Originally Posted by Maxingout View Post
    When I was cruising in New Zealand, I went onboard a custom 48 foot catamaran in which they had built a forward survival compartment designed for habitation in the inverted position. They basically turned one bow into an inverted survival compartment. You gained access to the survival compartment through a large hatch placed in the forward bulkhead of the port hull.

The accomodations in this compartment gave you a place to sit or lie down when the catamaran was inverted. It was also a location where they could store immersion suits and survival supplies.
    On carefull thought this would be the best place to store the good liquor.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
    On carefull thought this would be the best place to store the good liquor.

Mike
    Then you need a hatch close by to quickly get rid of the stuff again, once you've filtered it through your kidneys

Alan