Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: attn: Maine Cat 30 owners re: SAIL Magazine story inquiry

Default attn: Maine Cat 30 owners re: SAIL Magazine story inquiry

Hi Maine Cat 30 owners,
    My name is Becca Oken, and I'm a writer at SAIL Magazine. For our August issue, we're doing a story about the top 13 cruisers under 30 feet, including the Maine Cat 30. We're featuring short (300-word) contributions from owners of "pocket cruisers" about why they love their boats, along with specs and photos of the boats and their owners. If you're interested in contributing and writing something briefly about your boat, please let me know, and I can send some questions to answer. My deadline is May 20.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I look forward to seeing some responses! Thanks!

-Becca

Default Re: attn: Maine Cat 30 owners re: SAIL Magazine story inquiry

I thought a pocket cruiser was considered a trailerable boat that you could cruise on? Just curious why you would pick a MC30 only vs say a Endeavourcat 30 or the most popular Gemini series?

Quote Originally Posted by HappyEnding View Post
    I thought a pocket cruiser was considered a trailerable boat that you could cruise on? Just curious why you would pick a MC30 only vs say a Endeavourcat 30 or the most popular Gemini series?
    I PM'd her and mentioned Catalacs as well. I didn't hear back ... so apparently the editorial decision has already been made.

The Catalac 8M and 9M .. Iroquois 30, Prout 31, Hirondelle 24, Lerouge 31, Tomcat 28, Intercat 1500, PDQ 32, Americat 30, Endeavourcat 30 and Geminis don't exist and Maine Cat gets the spotlight. Although if a 30 foot boat LOA is their cutoff, then at least the Hirondelle, Americat, Intercat , Endeavourcat 30, Iroquois 30, Catalac 8M and Catalac 9M should be included.

Most of these boats have good write ups that can be found here.

Pocket Catamarans for sale by owner

Hmmm...what if they are only including American made boats? Then where's the Gemini, Endeavourcat, Intercat, Tomcat or Americat?

It's early yet, I probably left one or two off this list. Boat owners, please don't be offended, it's just my early stage Alzheimer acting up. Feel free to expand this list.
    Last edited by Tropic Cat; 14th May 2013 at 02:29 PM.

Thanks for your responses and interest! I just replied to your private message, Rick. SAIL's editors have come up with a list of pocket cruisers we're featuring in the story, and Maine Cat 30 happens to be on the list. So I came to this forum to reach out to owners, as I've been doing with the other boats on the list.

Hope this clears some things up! Thanks again for your replies!

from Sandy's Plain English Dictionary:

Editor: A self-proclaimed Omniscient locked in an uptown office with a corner office view of other corner offices, whose bottom line is magazine sales because they govern advertising revenue which governs his or her job security. See also Grocery Chain Mentality.

Like their advertising customers, Editors believe boats have an eighteen month shelf life. Since defunct manufacturers don't advertise, promoting defunct products does not enhance job security. Justifying the purchase or retention of expired product does not enhance job security. Promoting current production does promote advertising, if not by the boat builder then by all the manufacturers of stuff the boat builder buys to build boats.

Boating editors don't have time to boat; they just skim other boating magazines and catalog the ads. They don't even consult Wikipedia. That is written by writers. Writers are commodity. Editors are Salaried, with pensions and health plans. Most writers have daytime jobs, preferably not in the Marine Industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Daugherty View Post

Editor: A self-proclaimed Omniscient locked in an uptown office with a corner office view of other corner offices, whose bottom line is magazine sales because they govern advertising revenue which governs his or her job security. See also Grocery Chain Mentality.

Like their advertising customers, Editors believe boats have an eighteen month shelf life. Since defunct manufacturers don't advertise, promoting defunct products does not enhance job security. Justifying the purchase or retention of expired product does not enhance job security. Promoting current production does promote advertising, if not by the boat builder then by all the manufacturers of stuff the boat builder buys to build boats.

Boating editors don't have time to boat; they just skim other boating magazines and catalog the ads. They don't even consult Wikipedia. That is written by writers. Writers are commodity. Editors are Salaried, with pensions and health plans. Most writers have daytime jobs, preferably not in the Marine Industry.
    Sandy -
    All that because a magazine is planning on mentioning a Maine Cat in a story? Or did you just get up on the wrong side of the berth this AM?
    Sail Fast Live Slow

Quote Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
    Sandy -
    All that because a magazine is planning on mentioning a Maine Cat in a story? Or did you just get up on the wrong side of the berth this AM?
    Yes, but didn't Sandy do an excellent job of his short diatribe!

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Sandy made a great point which is probably correct. Given a choice of 3 boats currently in production which are around 30 feet, how did they manage to select the one boat that doesn't have an enclosed bridge deck and call it a pocket cruising catamaran?

Given the 3, I would have selected the Tomcat, as at least it keeps the rain off. As an aside if I was running Hunter Marine or Performance cruising, I'd be lobbying these guys hard.....

"All that because a magazine is planning on mentioning a Maine Cat in a story? Or did you just get up on the wrong side of the berth this AM?"

No, FSMike. I like Maine Cats. I like Becca Oken. There are probably one or two Editors I might like. This is about short, fluffy magazine stories ordered by mentally short, fluffy magazine editors who want 600 words and three cute pictures to separate two half page ads about marine coatings and color-coordinated instrument packages.

We don't bash anyone's boat here, not even Tropic Cat...

p.s. Google Becca Oken. You'll like her too!

Yes Sandy , I agree but lets look at the up side; less than 10 years ago you wouldn't even see a multihull story or advert in sail mag. Our breed of sailing vessel is making an impact on the whole industry the good
    and bad features. We're getting the notice we rightfully deserve. More acceptance of our vessel choices equates to a bigger customer base bringing more choices and a stronger resale price. lets not forget where we came from.

"...We don't bash anyone's boat here, not even Tropic Cat...
    Looking forward to your diatribe on this subject.....

I think we all realize the true reason, that is the only Cat asked for, though to me it doesn't really fit into a pocket nor cruiser catagory, any more than stilletto would be,

I like MC also but dont feel they constitute a cruiser

The way I look at it is that every time a mainstream sailing magazine does a story on any multihulls, it only helps our boats to maintain their value!

No doubt, some of the negative comments are justified but I think we should encourage any articles that promotes "multi-thinking" rather than "single-minded" thinking!

Marshall
    "People sail for fun and no one has yet convinced me that it's more fun to go slow than it is to go fast." -- Dick Newick

It befalls all us true boat owners to try to get decent articles published in the magazines.

I reckon I have done my share - encouraged three separate articles about my old Catalac 9m in the Practical Boat Owner, and a picture of my old boat was also included in an article by the esteemed Mr Woods on multihulls.
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

I'm from Bermuda, CareFree currently in Grenada

Quote Originally Posted by victor View Post
    Yes Sandy , I agree but lets look at the up side; less than 10 years ago you wouldn't even see a multihull story or advert in sail mag. Our breed of sailing vessel is making an impact on the whole industry the good
    and bad features. We're getting the notice we rightfully deserve. More acceptance of our vessel choices equates to a bigger customer base bringing more choices and a stronger resale price. lets not forget where we came from.
    I have heard that the publisher of Sail Magazine is coming out with a multihull version of Sail magazine this fall...

Thanks Gholmes! that is good news!
    Re: Catalac diatribe: none forthcoming. I may not agree with what you love but I will defend your right to love it!

NEW CONCERN: Do we really want to encourage rampant multihullism? Count the number of cat-sized slips in your harbor. Are any of them vacant? What do you think will happen if there are twice as many of us! Think about what marinas will charge for such a rare commodity. Ditto for travelifts and land storage. It scares me.

...NEW CONCERN: Do we really want to encourage rampant multihullism? Count the number of cat-sized slips in your harbor. Are any of them vacant? What do you think will happen if there are twice as many of us! Think about what marinas will charge for such a rare commodity. Ditto for travelifts and land storage. It scares me.

Sandy,

Excellent point--maybe we better leave the single-minded sailors to themselves!

Case in point: Cherry Grove is a well-known, traditionally gay community on Fire Island barrier beach on the south shore of Long Island, NY. The populace enjoyed their reputation and their lifestyle, and in fact flaunted it to some extent.

As the gay lifestyle became more accepted by the general population, hetero***uals realized that some real bargains existed on the beach and began to purchase and rent homes in "the Grove."

Kind of pissed off the Cherry Grove gay community somewhat, as home prices and rental rates rose and homes for sale or rent became more scarce.

I guess that's the price of acceptance--is that what we really want?

Marshall
    Last edited by searenitysail; 17th May 2013 at 01:28 AM.
    "People sail for fun and no one has yet convinced me that it's more fun to go slow than it is to go fast." -- Dick Newick

Oregon, USA until I retire and we sail away

Quote Originally Posted by gholmes View Post
    I have heard that the publisher of Sail Magazine is coming out with a multihull version of Sail magazine this fall...
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it is not a monthly (at least to start with), but at least it is a start

On another promising note, the current (June) edition of Cruising Worlld is focused on Catamarans, with both covers and roughly and equal amout of cat-centric article-pages as mono-centric article-pages (with the rest being agnostic). The advertisements seem to he pretty well balanced between cats and monos as well, with advertisers surely influences by the editorial content and/or vice-versa.

I think catamarans have reached critical mass, and there is no stopping now...

(Ps, We only have a small mono because we're saving our money for a big cat :P )

- Rusty

As Sandy points out editorial bias oh so well, my 30' "poor man's Mainecat 30" would never pass muster. But it cost a fraction of what an MC 30 does, and that is certainly one reason why I love it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast