Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: attn: Maine Cat 30 owners re: SAIL Magazine story inquiry

Default Re: attn: Maine Cat 30 owners re: SAIL Magazine story inquiry

Mea Culpa! I should not have hijacked this thread. MC 30 Owners everywhere, and even MC 30 riders should tell Becca about their experiences, particularly about cruising!

Hi Michael K! is that Hot Mustard?

Hi Becca!

My experience with the MC 30 is limited to rides at Demo Days after the Annapolis Boat Show. In Brief:

The open bridge deck makes the boat feel much bigger than 30'. The visibility from the helm is the best I've seen since my Hobie Cat days, when at times I would have wished for a lot less intimate contact with the surroundings. It feels safe.

The narrow beams make the cat penetrate seas with a lot less hobby-horsing than say a Catalina 30, in spite of the Catalina's pendulous ballast. The light loading makes for better buoyancy in the bows which makes it less likely that green water will declutter the decks

The Maine Cat's sailing performance is remarkable, especially compared to all of the shoal draft. low aspect ratio keeled cats "from the past."

I'm happy to report that I've heard of no broken dagger boards, but there must have been one or two. These are an essential element of the MC 30's attraction. Board down they go to weather with deep keeled monohulls, board up they enjoy the wonders of many shallow anchorages. In fact The Chesapeake bay is almost twice as big for them as for a fixed keel vessel drawing 4 to 5 feet.

Let's consider practical usage. It's a three day weekend, and contrary to the weather forecast its pouring rain, there are two couples aboard and we're stuck at the anchorage. Are we miserable, huddled in the cabin of a monohull, or are we free to move about, or even dance in the cockpit? Even more amazing, there's considerable privacy if we want it.

Better yet, we could raise sail, continue our trip, and stay dry! Try that in a McGregor my friends!

But there are two downsides to Maine Cat Ownership; it ain't cheap, and you can't tow it home. A catamaran costs twice as much as a halfamaran, and (thankfully) can't be derigged, cranked up on a trailer, demasted, and hauled back to the house behind a larger than otherwise necessary family vehicle. You can sail further in a catamaran, and come home a lot less hot, tired, and dirty. You might even have some energy left for those honey-do's. (yeah. right.)

No, I'm not saying that with a catamaran you run with a better class of people; they just have better credit. And they smell better.

Hi Sandy,

Yes, it is. But since repainting the topsides last Fall it isn't quite as obvious. Since then, a friend has suggested a new name: Tabula Rasa.

Hi Michael K! is that Hot Mustard?[/quote]

Lots of Maine Cat owners here:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mecats/

Becca also contacted us for a small Tiki info. I think the Maine Cat is a great boat.

Hi Becca,

Iím not an owner, but have been trying to buy one for 6 months or so, in both instances the owners decided not to sell. I have been out for day sails twice, there are numerous stories about people spending extended stays in the Bahamas on these boats. Here is my rationale for what differentiates this boat from the others.

Itís all about the cockpit. Simply put, the Maine Cat 30 has the best cockpit of any mono under 50í and most other cats. Whether day sailing with friends or cruising for a weekend or weeks, I want to spend time in the cockpit, not chained to the helm, not down below. I want to be able see forward from all points in the cockpit, most cats have you looking at the back of the house or sitting at a helm away from your friends. Most monos, the best seat in the cockpit is facing backwards. So Cal can have cool weather year round, I want to be able to close up, the 360 enclosure of the MC30 is great for year round sailing.

Maintenance Cost: Yes, itís an expensive boat, but itís well built, the systems are simple and sufficient, and the cost of ownership should be well below average.

Performance: Itís not a speed daemon. But without all that lead hanging underneath you and a wide waterline, you can get a thrill sailing at 10-12 from time to time if the wind really pipes up.

The Seawind 1000 is the only thing that has similar attributes, and it's quite a bit more expensive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12