Thread: Seawind 24 tillers, bar and extensions?

Default Seawind 24 tillers, bar and extensions?

The tillers I've got from the PO are bent/broken.
    I will have to improvise/make a new ones. The design was (as it is at similar cats?) with 5-10 degrees bent to the inside. I am not exactly sure what is the purpose of that.
    Then I think, I will need some kind of extension(s, as I saw on some sites, two extension sticks to the sides are better than one big one from the middle).
    Any comments/advice on the topic?

thanks a lot

Default Re: Seawind 24 tillers, bar and extensions?

Research "Ackerman Angle"...

Basically when you are turning the inside hull takes a tighter curve and needs a greater rudder angle.

I have heard of two ways to calculate it...

1. Is the angle between the rudder gudgeon and the waterline at the bow.

2. Is the angle between the rudder gudgeon and the pivot point of the boat, generally taken to be the mast beam.

Take your pick, maybe you can find out what is correct.

Two shorter tiller extensions are more manageable than one big one IMO. Set them up so you can steer from just behind the cabin so you can duck the spray a little. The less slop in all the connections the better & align the gudgeons correctly so that the steering is lighter, rebush them, if you have not already, the original nylon bearings swell in the water and bind.

2c

Zed,
    Thanks for replay.
    First, I've got a length of a lo-friction water-resistant plastic tube and tomorrow will replace the "bushings".
    Second, the "Ackerman" is not applicable for the cats. Most of the time you are not making turns, you go forward. And the Ackerman angle would be nice when you are making the turn. Aside from that (is it 85-95% of time) when you wanna to go straight it is just a drug, that you do not need. Cars and motorcycles with side car (do not ask how I know this) can use this, for a bit different reason. On a sailing catamaran, not so.

My calculation for the extension was, so I can steer while having a hand on the outboard handle, or, extended hand on the front portion of the center console (all the lines coming from the mast). I will see how it will work out, and promise to share the results.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungGrumpy View Post
    Second, the "Ackerman" is not applicable for the cats. Most of the time you are not making turns, you go forward. And the Ackerman angle would be nice when you are making the turn. Aside from that (is it 85-95% of time) when you wanna to go straight it is just a drug, that you do not need. Cars and motorcycles with side car (do not ask how I know this) can use this, for a bit different reason. On a sailing catamaran, not so.
    You'd better go tell most multihull designers that...

It is absolutely applicable, that is why the tillers are angled in. Take a look at your setup, they are inline when going straight and only vary in angle as you go into a turn..... you will work it out when you sail the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungGrumpy View Post
    My calculation for the extension was, so I can steer while having a hand on the outboard handle, or, extended hand on the front portion of the center console (all the lines coming from the mast). I will see how it will work out, and promise to share the results.
    You will find that will be difficult due to the fact that when you are near the outboard (assuming it is in the normal position) you are almost dead ahead of the extension tillers connection point (almost wherever you put it) and will have no leverage to use the extension tiller effectively. It is not really that necessary to have your hands on both at once, you can easily maneuver the boat without that.

If you are deadset on doing it you have the choice of either running the engine controls aft or more interestingly setting up whipstaff steering with the staff sitting behind the engine and opposite the seating position. Extension tillers can be used on the staff... now if you worked that one out I'd like to see the pictures.